Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 West Ham Utd (04/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer_sandwich

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by hammer_sandwich »

The Sherriff wrote:A good point, would have taken that all day long.

Oggy and Rice the absolute stand-outs, mightily impressive.

We had a game plan and stuck to it, credit to the players. Not pretty but effective.

Terrible atmosphere for a derby, we were really poor. Arthur’s song is really starting to grate on me now.

Hernandez continues to play for himself, would do well to take a leaf out of young Declan’s book for application and attitude.

Obiang’ strike was beautiful, still shouldn’t be any near the starting 11 but what an absolute rocket.

Nice to see Ali’s continued downfall, terrible performance and terrible attempts at simulation. Blokes universally disliked yet he epitomises a schoolboys dream in coming from the lower leagues and making it in the big time. His attitude and character stinks.

Mildly enjoyable evening, though in the main it was pretty boring.
Delicatessen Ali is the kind of bloke that sh*ts in your toilet and doesn’t flush it. Utter thunderc*nt.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We'd played a 6 pointer only 2 days previously , had Antonio, Cresswell and Arnautovic out so it was never going to be pretty .

Credit to the whole of our back line , Zabaleta , Reid , Rice , Ogbonna and Masuaku defended heroically , the centre backs especially were all outstanding - Adrian pulled off a few reflex saves , Mark Noble as per usual covered every blade of grass every pass found his man , Obiang was superb , Kouyate also put in a shift , Lanzini looked too small against the Tottenham giants and never really got going , personally I thought it was a foul on him which eventually led to Son's goal [ Noble definitely NOT to blame , he was keeping half an eye at a pass to Eriksen ] , Hernandez maybe could have done more but he's not that type of player , Ayew does the job much better and has more energy about him and was very unlucky not to win the game towards the end , Lloris saving well .

Man Of The Match - Mark Noble .

Now for THAT goal - I've said in the past on here that I'd like to see more long range shots from Pedro Obiang , I think there's more to him than a defensive midfielder , I said in a previous post that I'd like to see him develop into the sort of player Graeme Souness was , tough in the tackle but also amongst the goals , well , last night proved to all that were watching that he has it in him to score goals from distance .

Goal Of The Season - Pedro Obiang .
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

DasNutNock wrote:Junksh - no chance of an Opposition View for this one?
"we are a big club and have a superiority complex, west ham are tinpot, its their cup final...just look at the stats"

I imagine that will sum it up
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Anyways, i clearly have to much time on my hands this morning to debate this!

No more comments from me on it, i think you all realise my point of view by now!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Estuary wrote:
Absolute nonsense, Forest won the European Cup twice with a bus parking counter attacking team and Clough is rightly acknowledged as a football genius, that's what we did last night, soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter. The fact that Hernadez played and wasn't very good at holding the ball up, and it had to wait until Ayew came on and held it up for Pedro to go on and deliver the coup de grace was our only issue tactically.
Spot on .

We were excellent last night, tactically superior and we executed the plan to perfection .

That Forest side were the definitive counter attacking side .Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns would deal with anything their opponents launched in to the box, John Robertson was the out ball , and off they went .
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

I see Son is now alluding that he shushed our fans because of racism ?

I can't say I heard anything untoward aimed at him during the entire game, but don't let that stop the press running with it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The Gibbins wrote:
"we are a big club and have a superiority complex, west ham are tinpot, its their cup final...just look at the stats"

I imagine that will sum it up
You spelt Wet Spam wrong mate.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

In a weird way, I'm really pleased that we beat the Lilywhines by playing anti-football because it seems to have ballsed them off more than when we beat them any other way.

I really hope we never play like that again, though, except for the next time we take them on.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Hard earned point away from home. Well done West Ham, job done. :crest:
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

I’m starting to think Hernandez isn’t any good. Is he any good? I don’t care about him not being any good “in the system we play” - is he any good at all? How can he not outpace a centre half with a fair head start? For example.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

EugeneSpeed wrote:
The thing is, with the way the league is now, what teams do you decide to open up and play expansive football against these days? Who do we think we go toe-to-toe with? Doesn't seem as clear cut as "not The Top 4" of yore. And even if there is a fixture where we could do that, we can't because we're so precariously positioned.

That said, job done this week. 3 points off West Brom then a bonus point off Spurs with a goal that'll live long in the memory.
I'd say we went toe to toe with 4 teams around us recently Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom, Bournemouth.

and if it weren't for that c*** Madley we would've had 9 points from those 12.
E7Iron

Post by E7Iron »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:I see Son is now alluding that he shushed our fans because of racism ?

I can't say I heard anything untoward aimed at him during the entire game, but don't let that stop the press running with it.
He is eluding to an incident with an apparent West Ham fan in November.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

The Sherriff wrote:Arthur’s song is really starting to grate on me now.
The best that you can do is fall in love
hammer_sandwich

i can't remember a premier league game, certainly not this season anyway

But regardless of that, if you are satisfied with west ham playing that way. Fair enough. That is your opinion and perfectly valid

I, and it seems a couple of others (albeit a minority) are not, regardless of points accumulated[/quote]

Errrr... Newcastle against Man. City. At home.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

wildkard wrote:I’m starting to think Hernandez isn’t any good. Is he any good? I don’t care about him not being any good “in the system we play” - is he any good at all? How can he not outpace a centre half with a fair head start? For example.
He's like a different version of big Andy, has a world class skill, Andy's is attacking the ball in the air in the box, Hernandez is being in the right place at the right time to score. Both rely heavily on others to get the delivery into the right area. In support of my point you don't become your countries best ever goal scorer without being a very good player in some way or other and his goal per min ratio in the premier league is outstanding. It's up to our coaches and the owners to put the team around him to unlock that, if that's what we are aiming at.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

wildkard wrote:I’m starting to think Hernandez isn’t any good. Is he any good? I don’t care about him not being any good “in the system we play” - is he any good at all? How can he not outpace a centre half with a fair head start? For example.
To be fair, that Sanchez is absolutely rapid, he was catching everyone in the Europa League final against Man U.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Anyone checked ebay to see if there is a white parka for sale this morning? :lol:
hammer_sandwich

The best that you can do is fall in love[/quote]

Ace :lol:
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Estuary wrote:Anyone checked ebay to see if there is a white parka for sale this morning? :lol:
Reminded me of e17 when they did that Christmas song.

The chant of "You're wearing your mums coat" didn't really work.

Was funny though to see him being spoken to by lead steward at half time and walking back up the steps like some kid being told off. Pathetic.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

DDHammer wrote:
To be fair, that Sanchez is absolutely rapid, he was catching everyone in the Europa League final against Man U.
This. I was going to criticise him but then saw it was Sanchez who caught him.

His touch all game on the other hand...