FAC3: Shrewsbury Town F.C. 0-0 West Ham United (07/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Re: Shrewsbury Town F.C. v West Ham United: Match thread

Post by dodger »

I'm happy enough with getting a replay.

It also allows us to see who we get in round 4 before deciding what team to play in the replay.

It's funny that after all the moaning from people that we needed to play our best players, in the end the youngsters were the only ones with the energy to be up for it. We probably should have played more of them in the end.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Joe Hart with no cap to shield his eyes from the sun was indeed laughable, considering he has about 50 England ones
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

dodger wrote:I'm happy enough with getting a replay.

It also allows us to see who we get in round 4 before deciding what team to play in the replay.

It's funny that after all the moaning from people that we needed to play our best players, in the end the youngsters were the only ones with the energy to be up for it. We probably should have played more of them in the end.
Indeed

A few players need to have a good look at themselves given their levels of performance. A few of them only had a bit part roles in the last 2 games too which makes their performance even more disappointing.

Sometimes a game like this tells the manager more about who wants to be here and who doesn't more than a big game.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I didn't know what was worse, Reece Burke's first half performance or his haircut.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We lost the midfield, as we have in every game recently. Some shrewd midfield signings will solve a lot of problems.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

I thought Rice, Burke & Cullen played quite well, they had lots more heart than some of the regular players, it is okay giving the captain's armband to someone for its nice to do! but we did not have a leader on the pitch at all, players just like lost souls at times!

At least we get another chance! they will take the money gladly of a replay, but not sure they will lie over for us, Moyes got it wrong and had no one on the bench to turn it around really.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

3 youngsters came out with credit.

Hart made a few good saves.

Other than I’m struggling for any positives or points of interest. Complete lack of urgency, attitude and application missing. The senior pros didn’t do them themselves, the club or the fans justice.

Actually managed to get something of a tan on my face, for the whole 90minutes I had the sun directly on me. It was debilitating though and you struggled to see the other end. Why on earth Hart didn’t bring a cap out to start with beggars belief.

Last 2 away games we’ve mustered 1 attempt on goal, yesterday we had 4 touches in their penalty area. That’s rubbish and hardly entertaining.

Hernandez continues to frustrate, don’t mind players having a bad game but a lack of attitude, effort and application isn’t acceptable. He plays for himself and not West Ham. Doesn’t want to do the basics. The stick hes getting is justified.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think the most worrying thing about yesterday - in view of Moyes' post match comments - was that it appeared as though some of them absolutely did not care whether we won or lost.
If that is anywhere near true then it is shocking.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

grim to say the least.

Shrewsbury's midfield dominated ours, and had the edge for most of the match as a result.

Our strategy for the first 75 minutes was hoof it up to the 6'4'' striker. Except we had Hernandez up top on his lonesome. There were parts of this match that seemed like volleyball - the ball was being hoofed up top and headed back endlessly. Gaffer must have had them on a bonus for the ball not touching the ground.

Enough of the cloud - silver linings and all that? Well, Rice did very well - noticeably when we switched to a 4-3-3: he made a couple of good runs down the left.

Burke did very little to get himself noticed - didn't look confident but since none of the others did either . . .

Quiet game from Masuaku. At least two marking him every time he received the ball, at times it was three.

One thing I did notice about Martinez is his speed - looked very, very quick for the few minutes he was on.

Cullen didn't do anything to get himself noticed other than a couple of giveaways near the halfway line. Credit to the lad for coming back with a mouthful of blood and a couple of less teeth - wish some of our other players showed that commitment.

Hart made one excellent save in the first half - diving low to his left and stopping a hard shot from inside the six yard box. That alone probably earned us the replay against a stronger team.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

dodger wrote: It also allows us to see who we get in round 4 before deciding what team to play in the replay.
So if we draw a top 6 side we shouldn't bother in the replay?
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2782 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I thought the sun may have been partly to blame for the 1st half performance yesterday, I was wrong although the fact that it made it difficult to see the game properly in the away end may well have been a blessing.
What did't make any sense to me yesterday was when we got a free kick just outside of their area in the 2nd half Obiang didn't have a shot as it was direct. The keeper may have had difficulty seeing it properly and fumbled it but it was just another aimless punt in to the area which was easily cleared by them, brainless.
I don't know where you had your pie from Doc but I paid £3.50 in our end for the cottage pie, mashed spud on top with a pastry base and rather delicious it was too.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Pop Robson wrote:
Just seen this on Twitter so much effort from Kouyate yet again

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd punish him by making him play the replay. All 120 minutes if needed.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Moyes can't win on here with some.

I looked at the side before KO and thought, experience and some youth, but that side was enough to get past Shrewsbury, on paper at least.

As we know, on paper does not win football matches, Moyes was let done through application, and in fairness, the seasoned pros had had two tough games in 4 days, especially chasing the ball for 90 minutes against Tottenham, I can let them off a little for that, yes they are professional athletes blah blah blah, but 3 games in 6 days, 2 of those games being high intensity PL games, where they worked their nuts off, I can understand some tiredness, but I cannot forgive what appeared to be a poor attitude.

What did come out loud and clear, and this is the most important part for me, we lack squad depth, and quality, Moyes picked a side from bare bones, and gave the FA cup game a go, I respect him for that.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A much better effort than the last cup game v the Arse.

A game like this shows the lack of confidence on the ball many of the players have right now. So many simply hoofed it forward and avoided playing good football when simple passes were available on the ground. All of the back line was quilty of this. They gave two short forwards very little to go on all afternoon.
Having said that, Hernandez was simply shocking and well out of his depth in the physical battle.
How poor is Kouyate these days? He is struggling to put any decent contact on the ball, even when under no pressure.

Credit to the bravery of Josh Cullen. Refused to come off even though he had lost a tooth for the cause. Great attitude and not a bad game either. He can certainly whip in a corner or free kick. I hope we see a lot more of young Josh.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

West Ham in crap cup performance shock.

When you looked at our side there was youth, experience and quite a few players with something to prove.

I didn't expect a comfortable win.

I did not expect such a lackluster performance from the more-experienced players.

You expect them to show a bit more class and composure.

The keeper and defence did fine. Cullen was the only midfielder to show anything and Ayew put in a shift but not where you wanted him to.

I actually thought we got away with it yesterday.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Not sure Burke deserves as much praise as he is getting. He was poor in the first half, all be it playing as a wing back, which I am sure is not his position of choice.

The notion that he and Cullen are kids plucked out of the youth team is a bit of a stretch. They have both been playing League One / Championship for the past couple of seasons and should be every bit capable of mixing it with Shrewsbury.

Cullen did well, Rice was outstanding and Burke grew into the game looking a lot more comfortable in a back four second half.

Martinez was full of energy and looked very sharp, would have liked to have seen him for Hernandez (who was clearly not up for it and offered f**k all) a lot earlier.

Everyone else performed well within themselves.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

dodger wrote:It also allows us to see who we get in round 4 before deciding what team to play in the replay.
Morning Dave.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:A much better effort than the last cup game v the Arse.
How can you say that? We were arse yesterday. I think the calls for our 'youngsters' to come into the starting XI will quieten.

We stunk the place out yesterday, awful team performance. Obiang and Kouyate are just not up to it anymore, I'd get rid of the pair as soon as possible.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Hockley Hammer wrote: I did not expect such a lackluster performance from the more-experienced players.
Hernandez and Ayew had two ways of looking at the game...

A chance to grab a few goals, prove how sharp they are around the box and give Moyes something to think about...

Sulk around the pitch over the fact that they have had to trek all the way up North on a cold day because they are not considered 'Big Time' enough for a rest like Carroll, Arnautovic and Lanzini...

Think it is clear which option they picked...!
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

A replay should allow the players who played yesterday a chance to redeem themselves, only Hart and Rice were on par.