FAC3: Shrewsbury Town F.C. 0-0 West Ham United (07/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Re: Shrewsbury Town F.C. v West Ham United: Match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Well Burke is in form, surely, with the recent displays in an improving Bolton side.

He also played RB for Slav, in our glorious campaign against the Stars of Saint George.

Zaba can have a rest.
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

hammerman11 wrote:need to rest a few players as injuries mount up. the next 5 league games gives us a chance to get well clear of the relegation zone.

hart
burke oxford ogbonna masuaka
haksagnovic culen rice ayew
Hernandez Martinez

subs Adrian Collins zabaleta kouyate Antonio carroll sakho

2-0 hammers
Would deffo go with this team with possibly Adran in for Hart, Cullen to start in CM, (please replicate the superb performance v juventus in the friendly earlier this season
1-4 West Ham United
Martinez
Hernandez
Haksabanovic
Rice (pen)

Payne (as Hart stands there and watches one sail in low to his left)
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

[quote="The Sherriff"]I would be really pissed off if we played a weakened side. No excuse, treat the game, cup and opposition with respect.

Our only chance of success these days is a cup run, give it a go for our long suffering fans.[quote]

I agree with the above usually but 3 games in rapid succession means I can understand wholesale changes being made for this game unfortunately :crest:
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

From BBC Sport... "^West Ham manager David Moyes: "Do I want to win the FA Cup? One hundred per cent. But I don't think it can be where we can damage our league season.

"If I could win the cup I would definitely try to win the cup, but I couldn't do it if I thought it would affect the Premier League."

That's us out then!
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

only1post wrote:original loan deal for Burke & Cullen was only five months.
This from whufc.com at the time:

West Ham United can confirm that Reece Burke and Josh Cullen have joined Championship club Bolton Wanderers on a five-month loan agreement.
Good. Even if they don't get a game tomorrow, it gets them out of that ***** 'ole
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I agree with those of you who are saying we should "respect" the FA Cup, but our next 5 PL matches are more than crucial and with our injury/fitness incompetence we'll need to be careful who we risk tomorrow - 2 or 3 more injuries and we'll be needing to play our U23s in the PL!

So, if we have recalled Cullen and Burke from Bolton thus making them unavailable for their match against Huddersfield, it should only be that is because they are going to play for us tomorrow. Add Hart as a 100% starter, key in our TEN injuries, our recent benches, the need to rest the likes of Noble, Lanzini, Zaba and Reid and we get an eleven like this:

Hart
Burke Ogbonna Rice
Haksabanovic Cullen Makasi Quina Masuaku
Martinez Chicharito

I saw Shrewsbury win at Southend on Boxing Day and they are a decent professional outfit & would easily beat that team in my opinion, but that may be the way Moyse is thinking, based on his recent comments on the FA Cup. Putting in one or two more first team players (Kouyate, Obiang) could turn that young team into a potentiallly winning team, but I don't think Moyse will wnat to risk further injuries

We'll see, but I'm not optimistic we'll be in the next round :cry:
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

Rowly wrote:From BBC Sport... "^West Ham manager David Moyes: "Do I want to win the FA Cup? One hundred per cent. But I don't think it can be where we can damage our league season.

"If I could win the cup I would definitely try to win the cup, but I couldn't do it if I thought it would affect the Premier League."

That's us out then!
So what if we get through against Shrewsbury Town and win our next two games taking us to 28 points.
He will still be more concerned about Crystal Palace on Tuesday 30th January than the fourth round a couple of days earlier.

The managers last night picked strong teams, which was promising but if our manager/owners and others fail to do the same this competition will never recreate it's glorious past.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Ex has just tweeted to report that the travelling squad contains 8 youngsters inc Rice.

Shades of the Forest game it seems.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Iron George wrote:
Agree with this.

Remember both my previous trips to Shrewsbury (think we've only been there twice?), one 2-0 win and a 0-3 humbling in the season we won the cup.

So i'm going for an unwanted draw tomorrow.
they did did the double over us in 79-80 including doing us 3-1 at home a fortnight before we won the cup https://www.11v11.com/matches/west-ham- ... 80-119355/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heady days
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Ex has just tweeted to report that the travelling squad contains 8 youngsters inc Rice.

Shades of the Forest game it seems.
Not necessarily. Squad is 18 and assuming Rice starts then the starting 11 could have say him and 1/2 other youngsters (Burke and Quina?) and the rest would be experienced players with the other kids on the bench
Patito

Post by Patito »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Ex has just tweeted to report that the travelling squad contains 8 youngsters inc Rice.

Rice, Cullen, Burke, Quina, Haksabanovic, Martinez, Makasi plus one other maybe?
daveo

Post by daveo »

Starting 11 v Forest was

Adrián
Jarvis
Downing
Potts
Diarra
Driver
Whitehead
Lletget
Morrison
Maiga
Moncur

Plus bench was all kids

I expect us to play a much more experienced 11 than that v Shrewsbury !
daveo

Post by daveo »

[quote="Patito"][quote="Westbourne Bill"]Ex has just tweeted to report that the travelling squad contains 8 youngsters inc Rice.

Rice, Cullen, Burke, Quina, Haksabanovic, Martinez, Makasi plus one other maybe?

Samuelsen has traveled apparently
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

We've only got a couple more youngsters in the squad than we did during the week at Spurs. If he starts all of them it will be disappointing, hopefully we show the cup some respect.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

From BBC Sport website
This is Shrewsbury's first FA Cup third round tie against Premier League opposition since January 2003, when they eliminated David Moyes' Everton.
Patito

Post by Patito »

daveo wrote:
Samuelsen has traveled apparently

Interesting. Forgot about him, very talented dribbler but decision making seems to let him down.
artlin

Post by artlin »

The everton team that Sam put out against a much superior Liverpool side was riddled with younguns.

They did alright. Should have been a draw, IMO.

75 million for a defender!!! What is the world coming to?

So, if our younguns cannot hack it against Shrewbury Town FC then, quite honestly, they do not deserve to be at the club.

Rice, Burke, Martinez, Hakbannawhatsit, should be more than capable. If we have 3 or 4 first team in there as well.

I see nothing but a win for West Ham United.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

kitthehammer wrote:unless we are securely top half with at least 30 points by this stage of the season. The prem has become the be all and end all.

You mean a bit like Leicester are at the moment. They have dropped seven first teamers for this game.
Sadly league position conquers all these days, even teams that are virtually safe are more interested in a better league position then the FA Cup. Our owners I fear will never take this competition seriously.
Be very interesting to see what the likes of Burnley (34 pts) do this weekend.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

You can get away with a few kids in the line up as long as you have a strong spine of senior pros plus a vocal captain to coach them through the game.

I'd go for Hart in goal.
Burke at the back with Collins (if fit?) and Rice.
Oxford in the midfield with Noble and Ayew out wide.
Carrol to start up front with Chicarito.

Put another two squad players in with those nine and you have a half decent starting eleven.

Hopefully Martinez will get a run out off the bench for his debut.

:crest:
daveo

Post by daveo »

Puff Daddy wrote:Quite a few players have got to have a well earned rest. I'm sure Joe Hart will get a game in goal, Ginge at the centre of our defence, probably Cresswell at LB, don't know he can put in at RB, but Zabs needs a rest, Haksabanovic should start, as will Fernandes, Ayew and Hernandez and give Reece Oxford a chance too
Fernandes is out for months, has just had an ankle op. Cress is out I think and not sure about if Ginge is fit and Oxford is out too it seems