Huddersfield Town 1-4 West Ham Utd (13/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: Huddersfield Town v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

I can't think of anything more underwhelming than watching us park the bus against the league one standard of footballer Huddersfield have.

Going for 0-0 and an afternoon I'll never get back.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Anyone got any experience of where to park for a quick exit back to the M1 and back south?
I will be looking shortly but I use the 'Just Park' app. They have a house about a mile away. Very good app. I use it all over.

As the username suggests - I am going from High Wycombe. What about you?
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Billydinho wrote:Going for 0-0 and an afternoon I'll never get back.
Chin up Bill, you never know mate.

Your probably right though :D
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Patito wrote:How likely are Arnie and the other injureds to be back for this one?
as far as I was aware he isn't badly injured.. he had a tight calf and was rested against spurs after working his nuts off since the city away game.. then the cup game given a further rest

he will be all guns blazing on Saturday for sure
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Looks like they could have a new midfielder by Saturday:

Huddersfield Town have agreed a fee with Norwich City for midfielder Alex Pritchard.

The 24-year-old joined the Canaries for £8m from Tottenham Hotspur in August 2016 and scored seven goals in 38 league appearances.

Town boss David Wagner confirmed in his news conference on Thursday that the club are discussing personal terms with the player.

He could make his debut in Saturday's home match against West Ham.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Patito wrote:How likely are Arnie and the other injureds to be back for this one?
According to Ex, pretty much everyone will be back bar Reid, Fernandes, Fonte & possibly Antonio. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he tends to at least get injuries/team news right most of the time
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hope we go for a Rice, Collins, Ogbonna back 3. Reckon that would be a pretty solid base, with 2 of them being able to pass properly.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

If the above is true it will most likely be Adrian in goal with Zaba and Arthur as wing backs then a back three picked from Ogbonna, Collins, Rice and Cressy.
Middle two will be picked from Noble, Obiang and Kouyate.
Attacking three will surely be Carroll, Lanzini and Arnie.

Most likely line up...
------------------ Adrian ---------------------
-------- Ogbonna Collins Cressy ------- (i'd prefer to see Rice)
Zaba -------------------------------- Arthur
-------- Noble Lanzini Obiang -----------
------------------- Arnie ----------------------
------------------ Carroll ---------------------

That is good enough to get a narrow win for me. Boring 0-0 at worst.
Last edited by sutts07 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Loftyhammer wrote:According to Ex, pretty much everyone will be back bar Reid, Fernandes, Fonte & possibly Antonio.
If that's true then I'm going for a win for us, 0-1 or 0-2.
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

0-0
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cheers gents to those with the injury updates.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

I think we will see an improvement on last Sunday and more attempts on goal. 0-0
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Doc H Ball wrote:Taking the kids back to digs en route Huddersfield. If you are an away fan their choice of Uni is as crucial as the Met Police's attendance assessor.
Same here Doc. I'll be shooting up to Durham Uni straight after the match. Hope to bump into you whilst in Huddersfield :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So, from front to back, we have Arnautovic back available, it appears, which, contrary to views from early season, as to attitude, looks like a proper bonus for us. I actually think, despite that bloody song, he gives away the ball less than any of our other players.

Still cannot understand the present position with Iron Mike. Talk of a poisonous attitude makes little sense to me, but he's been on the sidelines or in the wilderness for a while now. Is he injured? Or is he being kept out of the firing line in the understanding that he might attract a bid from a club, if their top target doesn't work out? Either way, he was out there against Chelsea (h), when we actually won well against a better club, so, if it were my choice, he'd be partnering Marko up front on Saturday. Give the home defence something to think about; I don't think that Hernandez can do that, even with Arnie there or thereabouts. So, no Mike? Big Andy will have to do.

The rest basically line up behind the front two. Mark Noble is my first choice in the middle, because the Kou and Pedro show seems to lack guile and grit (a fatal failing). Obiang seems to raise his game better alongside Mark.

Earworm on the left. A recuperated Zaba across the field, at the same part of the pitch: WB-ish

Manu conducting it, pulling strings. OK. Moving forward occasionally, ball at foot. Even more occasionally finding another foot with said ball.

Rice ousts any other consideration at left-sided CB3, on recent displays. Ogbonna has amazed all onlookers and played himself into a bit of form! Late fitness tests for whoever makes up that three? Looks like Collins might get a chance.

Gotta be Adrian for me.

Still expect a point, whilst hoping for more.

Family nearby would advise the travellers to pack some thermals. Its 'reet cold' up there.

:crest:
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

[quote="only1post"]Looks like they could have a new midfielder by Saturday:

Huddersfield Town have agreed a fee with Norwich City for midfielder Alex Pritchard.

The 24-year-old joined the Canaries for £8m from Tottenham Hotspur in August 2016 and scored seven goals in 38 league appearances.

Town boss David Wagner confirmed in his news conference on Thursday that the club are discussing personal terms with the player.

Always impressed me ever since he left Spurs. A Leeds fan at work says he is the best player he has seen play at Elland Road this season.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

the pink palermo wrote:^^^^^

The Head of Steam .You can access it from the station platform .
If that's too busy there's another good pub at the other end of the station. Plenty of decent ones to go at in the town too.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Up the Junction wrote:I wasn't even born the last time we won at Huddersfield - a 2-0, FA Cup 4th round win back in January 1969 (with goals from Peters and Hurst).

Back to the Premier League before an FA Cup replay.
A few weeks later I would see my very first West Ham match , away to Everton on a Tuesday night [ a School trip ] , we lost 1-0 . I had just turned 13 .
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's hope dj smile makes a half time appearance
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

What To Look Out For (Grauni Regular Feature):

As in the last transfer window, Huddersfield have acted quickly and shrewdly this month, strengthening areas that needed addressing. The signing of Terence Kongolo and likely arrival of Norwich’s Alex Pritchard give David Wagner important new options and it will be interesting to see how he uses them. Kongolo is available to face West Ham and his arrival on loan from Monaco offers the possibility of introducing a back three. That might be one way for Huddersfield to increase their firepower, especially if Pritchard arrives to share creative duties with Aaron Mooy. West Ham could have several injury absentees so their visit to the John Smith’s Stadium represents a good chance for Huddersfield to move a step closer to survival while ensuring West Ham remain in danger

Remainder of article
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Best wishes to everyone attending. This is THE game that will define our season. It's time for our senior pros to step up. GO FORTH MY BRAVE SOLDIERS! NO MERCY!

Huddersfield 3 WHU O

Pardon?
:crest: