FAC3R: West Ham Utd 1-0 Shrewsbury Town (16/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Shrewsbury Town: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Anyone give us an update on how Byram played, please?
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I appreciate it was a poor game, but I quite enjoyed it condensed into two minutes on the BBC highlights, it looked quite exciting. Maybe that's the way to do it in the future? I particularly liked it when Lanzini turned in the box and left 4 Shrewsbury players looking the wrong way. Some more flashes of the burgeoning partnership between Arnie and Manu too.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Korea Hammer wrote: I particularly liked it when Lanzini turned in the box and left 4 Shrewsbury players looking the wrong way. .
I too, enjoyed that!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

How did Byram, Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Martinez get on?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Way too close for comfort. But at least we kept going and finally got a breakthrough. :crest:
StanLeMan
Has liked: 5 likes

Post by StanLeMan »

thejackhammer wrote:How did Byram, Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Martinez get on?
Byram - slow start, grew into the game though, and looked threatening down the right. Good showing as first game in about 6 months
Burke - Several passes went astray early on, and kept clearing the ball to no-one in particular. Although hasnt played in a two with Ogbonna so I think there was some aspect of 'finding your feet' early on. Delighted for him with the goal though
Oxford - looked off the pace for the first half, once got a bit of confidence running through the entire team, I thought he improved - but not a game that really needed a DM.
Cullen - I think he kept trying to do the simple thing (play the way your facing etc), which meant we didnt have much creativity between Attack and Defence. Grew into the game and when surrounded by Nobes, Mani, Arnie & Martinez he looked more comfortable and linked up with them well.
Martinez - Feeding of scraps for the majority of the first 70 mins, from that point on (subs) he grew into the game and probably had 2 or 3 chances he might bury on another day

Re-reading this, apparently my glass is only half full this morning...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For anybody that went... How did Martinez play? From the radio, it sounded as though he was completely isolated first half but appeared fairly involved in the second.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I went last night. I thought Burke looked a bit dodgy at first but settled and played well. Oxford looked a bit uncomfortable in the posiition. He didn't really know whether to move forward or back. I think he's a centre back personally.

Byram was good on the whole. I thought Cullen was terrible.

The two things that struck me was that our attack was toothless. All those people who are keen to move Carroll on should think twice because Ayew isn't good enough and Martniez bottled his chances.

The other thing is that Masuaka is the worst cross of the ball I've ever seen. He can't play left back becuase he can't tackle and he can't play left wing because he can't cross. I honestly don't know what is worst, his tackling or his crossing.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The youngsters ?

Cullen , neat and tidy, sensible stuff, relatively mature display .Persevere , albeit his limitations are likely to be physique rather than technique .

Burke - looked rusty to me and overall lacking the quality that is needed to be a starter at the top level , the sort of player to keep in the squad who can give you a dozen sub appearances a season in a couple of positions without ever nailing down a starting berth for himself .

Byram - Rusty , playing well within himself physically , never really opened his legs to show his class :wink:

Martinez - For those that went, hang on to your programme .He was on the cover , and never will be again .First touch isn't good enough : Colchester United for him .

Oxford - Not great last night .
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Burnley Hammer wrote:For anybody that went... How did Martinez play? From the radio, it sounded as though he was completely isolated first half but appeared fairly involved in the second.

Like most of our centre forwards in the past few years Martinez did look very isolated for most of the game. Like the rest of the team he looked much better once Arnie and Noble came on. However, it was Martinez that kept the ball alive for Burke's goal and though isolated he never stopped running, regularly on the last defenders shoulder pointing where he wanted the ball played to midfielders not good enough to spot (or make) the pass.

I thought Oxford looked well off the pace, almost nervous in possession and his loose pass on the halfway line almost gifted them a goal but fortunately Hart dealt well with the one-on-one.

Cullen is a neat and tidy player but rarely seems to move the team forwards, a lot of his passes are sideways or backwards. Personally I think he will have a career in football , just not at PL level.

Thought Burke had a decent game, alongside Ogbonna who for me was comfortably our MOTM.
claretandbluehammer
Total likes: 1 like

Post by claretandbluehammer »

thejackhammer wrote:How did Byram, Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Martinez get on?
Byram played well and showed plenty of energy early on before understandably tiring. Was clearly far more threatening going forward than Zaba has been all season and he kept looking for the one-two. Nobody got past him defensively and no sign of the diving in that has plagued his West Ham career so far, but admittedly he wasn’t particularly tested in that regard.
Burke looked nervous early on and misplaced a few passes, but clearly grew into the game. He was always looking for the pass into midfield, which wasn’t always there. Wasn’t too tested defensively but his positioning was good. Took his goal brilliantly.
Oxford was the worst of the kids. Wasn’t the game where a DM was needed, so the skills that we are constantly told he has weren’t needed. He was weak in the tackle a few times and his bad pass lead to the only clear chance of the 90 mins when Hart excellently bailed him out. Looks more like a CB than a midfielder.
Cullen looked the most assured of the kids for the whole match. Very tidy, won the ball back numerous times, always showing for the ball in good pockets of space and looked to keep the ball moving. Didn’t look out of place at all and wouldn’t let us down we’re he to get a chance in the PL. When Noble came on, it demonstrated an aspect that Cullen could work on in terms of distributing the ball out wide or over the top a bit quicker.
Martinez was isolated in the first half but got much more involved in the second half. You could tell by the way he threw himself into challenges that he was desperate to get himself involved. He showed some nice link up play and actually held the ball up well a few times against their big centre backs. Got into some good positions in the box but didn’t have anything more than a half chance until the 120th minute when tiredness/over eagerness meant he miscontrolled a lanzini pull-back. He certainly looked a better player than Ayew!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

boring game
freezing cold
no beer being sold after full time

got redirected back to bridge 2
nipped back on myself and got to carpenters and all roads to stratford high street closed by the filth
cos someone had been shot - hope it was gangland and one of those little hood rats has been got.

c2c wasnt running from west ham

got home after 12

wish i hadnt of bothered
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Well I thought it was Great to see The Academy back in the team, Burke was rusty, well perhaps this is due to being at clubs like Bolton! thought he like Cullen showed heart.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I thought Martinez was pretty woeful, very lightweight and got musclied off the ball time and time again by Shewsbury defenders. Saying this I thought Shewsbury had a game plan to double (and sometimes triple) up on our players when we had possession, and because our players weren’t shifting it about quick enough, it worked for more or less the entire 120 minutes. I think his work rate was also questionable, didn’t seem like he was making much effort to get on the end of crosses. Moyes should of hooked him instead of Ayew and we might of actually got the win within 90 minutes. If anything last night’s game dispels the “play Martinez” myth which Slav was coated off for, no way should he be anywhere near the first team on last night’s display.

Burke looked comfortable I thought and rarely troubled, took his goal well. But on the rare occasion that Shewsbury did threaten you knew they weren’t going to score.

Oxford was also very poor and deployed bizarrely in a DM role by DM (see what I did there.) it didn’t work, Oxford looked at sea, tbf it would of been better to see him at his natural position of centre back. I said to my mate I reckon Moyes had been instructed to play him there as if it’d came off Sullivan could of saved himself 25/30 million on a defensive midfielder. The game was actaully crying out for one, was incredibly scappy in the middle of the park and when Noble came on it didn’t get much better. There was one incident where Oxford lost possesion to a Shewsbury player leading to a 3 on 1 attack which they still failed to score from. Do that in the Prem and it’s curtains, I think he will be sold this window.

Cullen did the basic stuff well I thought. Byram huffed and puffed a bit but you could tell the gulf in class when Zabaleta came on.

Funniest part of the night when a tank of a Shewsbuty player squared up to little Byram more or less bullying him over a challenge on the touchline in front of me. Arnautovic was warming up and stepped on the field to tell him to “**** off” or “pick on someone your own size”, the Shewsbury player skulked off quietly
feeling rather embarrassed which was greated by a big roar from the crowd.

Was worth the £10 entry fee alone really.
Last edited by steps on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

jacko wrote:The other thing is that Masuaka is the worst cross of the ball I've ever seen. he can't play left wing because he can't cross. I honestly don't know what is worst, his tackling or his crossing.
Sorry Jacko, i disagree there mate, along with Arnie and Lanzini, he's been one of our best attacking players - see Spurs game.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Masuaku’s final ball last night was atrocious. He’s got really good feet and can comfortably take players on but needs to work on his passing and crossing.

A bit like Joe Cole when we first had him at the club.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

West Ham 1 Shrewsbury 0 AET - Report and pictures

It took David Moyes’ top-flight men more than 200 minutes to down Paul Hurst’s high-flying Shrews, who made the Town proud with their resilient fight.

But youngster Reece Burke fired in off the crossbar seven minutes before penalties were required to end the dreams of 3,000 travelling Salopians, writes Lewis Cox at London Stadium.

The largest away following since 5,000 were at Arsenal in 2011 passionately applauded their side as a show of appreciation of energy and desire.

Town’s desire was bordering on unbelievable as they continued to repel the hosts until Burke’s 113th-minute winner.

Hurst’s men could have won it in normal time had Stefan Payne slotted away a glorious opening.

The boss sprung a surprise formation with three changes at the former Olympic Stadium: Joe Riley, Max Lowe and Stefan Payne were all drafted in from the off while Town shifted from their usual 4-1-4-1 to 5-3-2.

Mat Sadler, Toto Nsiala and Omar Beckles formed part of a central back three, while Riley and Max Lowe were right and left wing-backs.

The system matched up with the hosts, who also played with a three-man defence and advanced wing-backs. David Moyes’ side included three changes from the side that struggled to a goalless draw at Montgomery Waters Meadow.

Shrewsbury star Joe Hart was again named skipper and the notable outfield inclusion was that of Manuel Lanzini, who had scored twice as his side downed Huddersfield in the Premier League last weekend.

It was his twinkling toes in the early exchanges that had Dean Henderson watching one over in the visiting goal. An early example of the Argentinian’s ability.

The opening 15 or 20 minutes passed without threat to the Town goal and as the evening progressed, backed by their vocal sell-out following, Town grew in confidence and poise.

Midfield duo Abu Ogogo and Ben Godfrey - the latter who shone so brightly in the broadcasted first tie - snapped at the heels of their top-flight counterparts and the hosts were all too often sloppy in possession.

Payne was troubling the inexperienced Hammers backline. Youngsters Reece Oxford and Reece Burke looked to have a lapse in concentration in them as Town pressed forward and chased their shadows.

Lanzini, unsurprisingly, looked the only one that might spark Moyes’ men into life and his fierce 30 yard free-kick stung the palms of Henderson in the first period’s only shot on goal.

Hurst and Chris Doig, cutting animated figures in the spacious technical area some way from their seated dugout, would have been satisfied with how comfortable his side were against the Irons, whose form of five games unbeaten had helped them to 11th in the top flight.

Referee Jeremy Simpson became a central figure shortly after the break. First he waved away Shrewsbury claims for a spot-kick as Payne was brushed down to the ground under pressure.

As things became more stretched, making for a better spectacle, Lanzini dropped to the ground on Town’s byline but Nsiala was adjudged to have made an inch-perfect challenge.

But as the talented Arthur Masuaku and Lanzini both sent efforts miles over Henderson’s crossbar, the end product was still lacking.

Then arrived what looked like ‘the’ Shrewsbury moment after the hour. Nolan’s fine challenge sent Payne scampering clear through on Hart’s goal.

The forward burst into the box, took his time, a touch to open his body up, but Hart stood strong and made the save.

The visitors’ heads did not drop. Shaun Whalley flashed past a couple and smacked one over the top from an angle.

Moyes then rolled the dice to send on Marko Arnautovic and Mark Noble as Town fans took an intake of breath.

Hurst shuffled his pack by sending on Louis Dodds and Alex Rodman for some fresh legs on the large, energy-sapping surface.

It was looking increasingly likely that 90 minutes would not be enough to separate the sides.

Toni Martinez did nothing to quash those thoughts as he fired wastefully wide over the angle. But as the 90th minute came into view, Town got edgy and Arnautovic cranked through the gears, finding the side netting and lashing just wide.

Shrews fans responded in boisterous style to will their side over the line and Nsiala threatened to write his name in folklore by heading narrowly over the top in the third minute of added time.

The game was balanced on a perfect knife-edge going into the extra 30 minutes.

Tired legs made for a more open style but brave Shrewsbury were giving everything, somehow finding a second wind.

Godfrey was perfectly placed to head off the line from Noble before Town sub Alex Rodman could not find a team-mate from some promising positions.

Town’s spirit was phenomenal. Extra time sub James Bolton got involved. It seemed like the defining moment as Lanzini squirmed this way and that in the box deceiving four diving Town bodies, before Bolton somehow cleared off the line. Miraculous.

But with seven minutes to play the hosts broke blue and amber hearts as Burke hammered in off the crossbar to seal victory.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... ---report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

Bryam did ok but clearly not fully fit. A couple of times he had a bit of space to attack the full back but ended up checking back instead.

Burke again did ok. A bit shaky at times but generally an ok performance.

Oxford was poor, couldn’t tell if he didn’t look interested or wasn’t fully match fit. Gave the ball away a few times including once that lead to their best chance. Looked very off the pace.

Cullen looked tidy to me without being spectacular and was prob the pick of the youngsters for me. Did the simple stuff well and knitted things together nicely without providing too much penetration. Looked better once noble and arnie were on.

Martinez was feeding off scraps for most of the game. Was making the runs but no one was hitting him. A few times he’d gone a bit early and strayed into an offside position which is probably why he wasn’t put through. Struggled physically against their centre back although I think the ref was a bit harsh on him at times. I wouldn’t write him off after that performance but he really needs to work on a few aspects of his game if he’s gonna make it.

A ****ing freezing night and a painful watch for a lot of the game. Credit to Shrewsbury. Fans and players were great and on another day they could be looking forward to seeing who they face in the next round tonight.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Well we're through. That's about all I have to say.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Polaroid wrote:[

Minimal here. Lord Flashhart on coms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42616207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lovely seeing Nobes, Cullen, and Burke all celebrating a goal