FAC3R: West Ham Utd 1-0 Shrewsbury Town (16/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Shrewsbury Town: match thread

Post by Jumby »

Got the win, a player that came through the youth ranks scored and we kept a clean sheet, not to mention that we're unbeaten in 2018.

:scarfer:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Arnie only likes it when he scores :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Happy we're finally through, happy for Burke who I rate, but f*** me that took the 112th minute in the 2nd game against Shrewsbury to score our first and only goal. Dogshit football but it eventually got the result so it weren't entirely awful. Sounds to me like we have Hart to thank a lot for staying in it with a crucial 1 on 1 save.
Last edited by Colours never run on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

ageing hammer wrote:The taming of the Shrew
:lol: You've been waiting for that one since we drew them haven't you Ageing?

We Bury'd them
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Georgee Paris wrote:Arnie only likes it when he scores :lol:
I was thought that too. He had the same look when Lanzini scored his second against Huddersfield.

Let's start a conspiracy theory...
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

We are through, playing time for some kids and another win. Winning becomes a habit as does losing. Yes we made harder work of it than I’m sure we would have liked but we are building momentum and fair play to Moyes, he’s dragging the team in the right direction.

On to the Bournemouth game. CHAAARGE!!!
Last edited by Simply Moore on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Very glad we've maintained our momentum and very glad we're still in the cup.

Would like to see us beat Bournemouth with a dodgy referring decision going our way in the final minute.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2703 likes

Post by sendô »

Losing these sorts of games is the West Ham way so it's nice that we're through, even if it was laboured.

:crest:
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

To those moaning, ok we were pretty awful across both legs, albeit with a weakened team. However in our last 11 games we have won 5, drawn 4 and lost 2. Yes this run of games includes 2 games against a league 1 side but also 4 games against last seasons top 6.

All in all, I don’t think we should be complaining too much.
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

stu1 wrote:To those moaning, ok we were pretty awful across both legs, albeit with a weakened team. However in our last 11 games we have won 5, drawn 4 and lost 2. Yes this run of games includes 2 games against a league 1 side but also 4 games against last seasons top 6.

All in all, I don’t think we should be complaining too much.
:thup: nothing else to say !
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Absolutely ****ing dreadful game to watch, but through to the next round which is all that matters, reckon we'll be better next round against either team :scarfer:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

We're going to win the cup
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Irrons wrote:A 120 minute Tuesday...I hope it doesn't come back to bite us against Bournemouth...
Or: we could still win the FA Cup for a fourth time

f*** league points, we just won.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

by reading this thread you'd think that a game of football had just taken place. a five minute chat with anyone who was there will set you straight.

cannot remember a duller 120 minutes.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Beavis Danzig wrote: cannot remember a duller 120 minutes.
You've not been much the last few seasons then, that wasn't even in the top 10 dullest I reckon.

Shrewsbury deserve credit for defending well and sticking to their game plan.

We had a few players like Obiang , Ayew and Masuaku not on their game today which was disappointing and meant we couldn't open them up. Oxford and Byram understandably looked rusty.

But still good game time for the youngsters
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:by reading this thread you'd think that a game of football had just taken place. a five minute chat with anyone who was there will set you straight.

cannot remember a duller 120 minutes.
I actually quite enjoyed it. Purely because the people in every seat around me were completely different to the normal bunch and it made it quite entertaining - lad in front of me asked me to take a photo for him and then explained how he’d only moved to London from Sweden 2 weeks ago and had decided to support us because of the cheap ticket for this game.

Actually found the audience, if not the football, quite refreshing
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

It was a little bit similar to the Accrington game last season. Like them, Shrewsbury and their fans deserve a lot of credit. They brought a good number to watch a solid, organised team who tried playing football and worked their balls off for one another. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

I don't think there's anything that needs to be said about us really apart from Martinez showed why he's not been chucked into first team action despite the calls from those who have never seen him play to get game time.

Anybody know why Carpenters Road was closed? The perfect ending to a long old evening... :|
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by Rio »

ChzMff wrote:It was a little bit similar to the Accrington game last season. Like them, Shrewsbury and their fans deserve a lot of credit. They brought a good number to watch a solid, organised team who tried playing football and worked their balls off for one another. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

I don't think there's anything that needs to be said about us really apart from Martinez showed why he's not been chucked into first team action despite the calls from those who have never seen him play to get game time.

Anybody know why Carpenters Road was closed? The perfect ending to a long old evening... :|

Bit gutted that most sodded off & didn’t applaud Shrewsbury off the pitch. A tradition that’s sadly disappeared.

Incident down Carpenters Road was a shooting so I’ve been told
Westferry Iron

Post by Westferry Iron »

yeah..it was dull...and brass monkeys cold, as cold as it's been in there since pretty much year dot. But in a strange sort of way it was ok. The first game, I really thought we were trying to throw it. For a while I feared we were going to throw this one, but then when Arnie and Nobes came on that clearly wasn't the case.

We had a decent team out there. Shrewsbury are a good side. They played well and with a bit of quality up front they could have done us. Respect to their fans turning up for this one, and good luck. Tried to applaud them off but my hands had turned to icicles. I hope they get promoted.

I'll take that result.
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Home. Finally!

That was a weird one... Only me and my old man and two other STHs in our area. Lots of people who seemed to be there for first time, not that that’s a bad thing (I got to get extra tickets so my nephews could go to their first game) but that coupled with possibly the most boring game I’ve been to in a LONG time made for a poor atmosphere.

No 2nd play of Bubbles before the kick off and we kicked the wrong way which also contributed to it feeling very strange.

Roll on Saturday!