West Ham Utd 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (20/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by johnnyb »

jacko wrote:I bore myself with this and I will stop saying it but Masuaku cannot cross the ball to save his life. He's a total waste of space down that left hand side. THe only thing he does is hold the ball up a bit.
One of the worst crossers of a ball. He also never delivers it at the right time anyway. Always taking one or two touches too many. However, it is becoming obvious that teams have sussed we attack mainly down the left and have two or three defenders surrounding Arthur when he does get the ball.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Sadly, for different reasons, we are just as ineffective down the right with Zabaleta going forward as we are with Masuaku on the left. The main frustration with Masuaku is that he’ll do something brilliant - usually followed by something an under 12 team would be disappointed with.....

He’s not our biggest issue though by some stretch
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I thought we played some fantastic football at times. Enjoyed he game. more if we'd have won.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Played well, should have won, unbeaten in seven, irons. :crest:
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Bournemouth are a bunch of nonces
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

How no one cleaned out that Lewis Cook I don't know.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

If you look at the last three seasons results against Bournemouth you'll realise there's usually very little in it. They're quite a difficult team to play against because they play a fluid formation and always threaten a goal from nowhere (as Arsenal found) ' We should be beating teams like this' is ridiculous, they're not Hartlepool, they're an established premier league side who had a wobbly start to the season. There was lots of decent football today, although weirdly both goals came from nothing. Ogbonna was mom for me. Arnie was hit and miss, some great bits of skill but poor finishing
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

goa127 wrote:If you look at the last three seasons results against Bournemouth you'll realise there's usually very little in it. There was lots of decent football today, although weirdly both goals came from nothing.
Agreed. An entertaining game, as many have already said, that first 20 mins or so was excellent, perhaps the best we have played all season (step forward Mr Moyes), and against a well-drilled team with no shortage of skill. The reason this dominance didn't get converted into goals is difficult to explain, but maybe, just maybe its something to do with the fact we didn't have a centre forward on the pitch. Arnie is powerful, tricky, and even tackled back in his own penalty box at one stage, but he doesn't have that killer touch that true strikers have. Hernandez, when he came on for the last 15 mins, for all his limitations in running and distributing the ball, showed what how a true poacher takes a goal today.
Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

The reason this dominance didn't get converted into goals is difficult to explain, but maybe, just maybe its something to do with the fact we didn't have a centre forward on the pitch.
This. Which ultimately comes down to having to play both Obiang and Kouyate because we don't have a proper DM.

We're a Defensive Midfielder away from being a really decent side. Imagine Lanzini and Arnautovic behind Hernandez. More space for them to link up and an intelligent runner ahead who can finish.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Georgee Paris wrote:Still find a quite amazing how a team with their resources and fan base... Well they seem a tidy comfortable premier league team.
Think you will find their owners are around as wealthy as ours if not a bit more. Our lot are pretty much around the bottom 5 when it comes to wealth of Premiership owners. Also they get around as much TV revenue. The problem for them will be wages as that is what will be limited by their ground and income. That means spending this sensibly and is another area where our lot mess up.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

As draws go, a very entertaining game. We played some brilliant stuff early on and if we had scored early could quite easily have gone on for 3 or 4.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

We huffed and puffed a lot but failed to take our chances. Bournemouth scored against the run of play and to equalise so quickly was brilliant really, it was a bit route one and I think it caught them sleeping being so quick after they’ve just scored.

I really wanted us to put Bournemouth away after their cheating handball goal on Boxing Day but they are a tidy little side and Howe has got them well drilled.

I think Moyes settled for the point in all honesty.

And if we are going to do any business in this window (which is highly unlikely), I hope we’re still looking at Ryan Fraser as I think he’d be a worthy addition.

It rained a lot and I got soaked. Not a lot more to add.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

JCA wrote:As draws go, a very entertaining game. We played some brilliant stuff early on and if we had scored early could quite easily have gone on for 3 or 4.

Was it Bournemouth at the start of last season when we took a good lead and ended the first half showboating, then managed to lose the match in the second after we'd motivated them ourselves?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

that was Watford

Bournemouth last season was the first home game and we were rubbish. They went down to ten men on about 80 mins and Antonio headed the winner from a Tore cross without 3 minutes left

Calleri then missed a glorious one on one chance with the last kick of the game. I have said it once, and I have said it again. If he had scored that we would not have lost in europe, Calleri would have scored about 10 league goals and Bilic would still be our manager
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammers92 wrote:Bournemouth are a bunch of nonces
I'm not too keen, either, at least on some of them, but they took a good goal, yesterday.

Fair chance they'll stay up.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Bournemouth last season was the first home game and we were rubbish. They went down to ten men on about 80 mins and Antonio headed the winner from a Tore cross without 3 minutes left

Calleri then missed a glorious one on one chance with the last kick of the game. I have said it once, and I have said it again. If he had scored that we would not have lost in europe, Calleri would have scored about 10 league goals and Bilic would still be our manager
Oh that's right, I remember it now. Umm, thanks(?) :lol:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

2 of our players got booked for fouls that were very harsh.

Noble got a forearm smash from Wilson right in front of the ref and no yellow given.

Kouyate was clobbered as well and no yellow this time not even a free kick.

It seems to me refs allow attacks on our players all the time but if we as much as hard tackle someone its a booking straight away. ( imo )

Ogbonna gets yellow for kicking the ball away yesrdtaday yet Monreal scored for Arsenal and picked the ball out of the net and launched it into the crowd celebrating....no yellow.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Stanislas was very good when he came on. Should never have sold him.
Crouchend_Hammer

I love Adrian but he was definitely at fault for that goal. Stay on his line and no way Fraser scores (the angle was very tight to hit across him) and come out further and likely smother it.
Coming part way and then stopping gave him the chance

Thr most frustrating thing for me is how deep we played and how slow people were to join the attack. In the first half Arnie sprinted after a ball which was played down the left flank and he was behind the defence, but not a single one of ours sprinted with him - Obiang, Noble, kouyate, masuaku all strolling forward so Arnie gets it and no one anywhere near the box to help him.

This happens so frequently. Players from deep, never ever sprint forward to join the attack. Yet other teams attack and it seems as though five players are all sprinting

Similarly we hardly ever get more than two people in the opposition box. When do you see one of our midfielders or wing backs on the end of a cut back? Kouyate agaibst Watford??

Arnie and lanzini link up well. Think how much more space they would have if hernandez was on
Crouchend_Hammer

ageing hammer wrote:2 of our players got booked for fouls that were very harsh.

Noble got a forearm smash from Wilson right in front of the ref and no yellow given.

Kouyate was clobbered as well and no yellow this time not even a free kick.

It seems to me refs allow attacks on our players all the time but if we as much as hard tackle someone its a booking straight away. ( imo )

Ogbonna gets yellow for kicking the ball away yesrdtaday yet Monreal scored for Arsenal and picked the ball out of the net and launched it into the crowd celebrating....no yellow.
I wouldn't have wanted to be in the way of that Ogbonna hit, He absolutely larruped that into the crowd. The masuaku booking was soft. Not sure Ginger can complain about his though!