West Ham Utd 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (20/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by WorcesterWHU »

We really ran out of legs in this one; problem being that we didn’t score when we were so on top early on. Point isn’t a disaster. Continual injuries though, that’s another matter. We were desperately thin already, let’s pray to god we have some irons in the fire.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

In games like that Lanzini gives us control because he has the time and space to link everything up since Noble and Obiang are tidying everything up. Unfortunately, once he goes off, we lose that control because we don't have a replacement who creates space. Noble does his best but then we're a man light on the tidying up front.

Basically, we still need another attacking midfielder like Lanzini and another defensive midfielder to cover for Noble and Obiang.

Time to open the cheque book Mr Sullivan ....
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/b8900b9b ... d7f13e7ea7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bernie_Lama
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Bernie_Lama »

decent game today. Bournemouth finished the stronger but we had the dominant first 25 minutes and didn't score. Nice football played but we can't just rely on the front two to break down the opposition. However the improvement in the side from earlier this season is massive and with a little more time and some players added we could make some real progress. Not sure of moyes will get that though.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There is a saying in football. You need to score when you are in the ascendency. We didn't and ended up and up chasing the game
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I thought it was a really boring game.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Puff Daddy wrote:There is a saying in football. You need to score when you are in the ascendency.
Up there with "look after your broom".
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

costa75 wrote:Not happy....... I really wanted to beat this mob.

Surely I can't be the only one with an irrational hatred of Howe and his team.
I’m on this bus with you, can’t stand them. Talked about like football purists when in reality they’re a cheating bunch of c***s.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I did think at the time that for all the first half hour's possession, Begovic had just the one save to make.

I've been out this afternoon. Anyone clue me in with how serious Lanzini's injury looks?
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

With how other results have gone it’s not the worst point in the world (albeit we should really be beating teams like this at home). Another point, unbeaten run in tact, a few injuries however which our already painfully small squad can I’ll afford. Let’s hope nothing serious and we also sign a player or two this week.

COYI :crest:
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Boring and predictable for me. People will get fed up of Moyes very quickly once we are Hopefully safe. Basically if Arnie doesn’t run riot there’s very little else on offer from us.47% of the ball at home to Bournemouth is uninspiring to say the least.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

smuts wrote:Hopefully Lanzini and Cresswell's injuries aren't too serious. Perhaps our chairmen might put their bloody hands in their pockets before we end sticking Hart at left back. We just ran out of steam towards the end.
Doesn't matter how many players we sign when we have the world's worst fitness/medical team. We could sign 6 more fit players from here to Feb 1 and we'll get 9 injured in that time. Endemic medical/fitness incompetence is destroying West Ham United, yet nothing is done about it season after season.

TEN soft tissue/muscle injuries? And that's just "bad luck" ?

A total disgrace of monumental incomptence :oops:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I did think at the time that for all the first half hour's possession, Begovic had just the one save to make.
As the saying goes, "them's the breaks". Against Huddersfield, the ball dropped nicely for us every time. I thought we played better this week but, this time the ball skidded off feet and we just didn't get the lucky bounce.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles500 wrote:Boring and predictable for me. People will get fed up of Moyes very quickly once we are Hopefully safe. Basically if Arnie doesn’t run riot there’s very little else on offer from us.47% of the ball at home to Bournemouth is uninspiring to say the least.
It says a lot about the ability of arnie and lanzini that we were srill vaguely threatening without any other attacking support at all

I doubt hernandez would have come on if Lanzini hadn't got injured

I woukd be surprised if any other player apart from Arnie, Lanzini and Hernandez got in the opposition box more than two or three times

Yes we played some nice stuff in first half and were on top but we really need to play a third atcking player at home and commit men forward. Masuku has got deeper and deeper and Obiang and Noble barely cross the half way line. Even kouyate, who is supposed to be playing in a kind of front three is usually miles behind the ball
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

prophet:marginal wrote:I've been out this afternoon. Anyone clue me in with how serious Lanzini's injury looks?
Hope I'm wrong but it looked like another hamstring injury to me.

prophet:marginal wrote:I've been out this afternoon. Anyone clue me in with how serious Lanzini's injury looks?
johnnyb wrote:Hope I'm wrong but it looked like another hamstring injury to me.
Cheers.

Here's hoping.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Shame that, can't seem to pick up momentum this year.

When is the last time we won back to back premiership games? Must be over a year and even then they were lucky 1-0 wins against poor teams. This shows how much we have digressed since the move to the 'bowl'.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Not sure what else Moyes could do.

They ran out of legs and the options weren’t good from the bench. Byram a little earlier maybe but he’s been out a long time too!

Need reinforcements desperately
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

MrHammer73 wrote:Shame that, can't seem to pick up momentum this year.

When is the last time we won back to back premiership games? Must be over a year and even then they were lucky 1-0 wins against poor teams. This shows how much we have digressed since the move to the 'bowl'.
Looks like it was just under a year.
won 3-1 at Middelsbrough January 21st of last year, coming off a 3-0 home win over Palace.