West Ham Utd 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (20/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DDHammer

Re: West Ham Utd v AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by DDHammer »

TommyHammer wrote:Newcastle have City away

Leicester City, Swansea City or Man City?
Estuary
Has liked: 365 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We can't just sit back and try and counter attack in this one
We need to show a little bit more craft and creativity
Hopefully Hernandez will come in for Kouyate, but I won't hold me breath
I think that's exactly how we should look to play them. We are a decent counter attacking side, but not to clever at home when a team sits back and invites us on as Brighton and Newcastle have proved.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

The players and the manager knows what to expect.
They know how they play, what level of commitment and style we need to apply in order to win.
They've seen how the played well - Arsenal - and less so - Wigan.

Tight at the back, fluid down the flanks.

:scarfer:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

szola wrote:
Tight at the back, fluid down the flanks.

:scarfer:
Should go see a doctor for that, sounds very uncomfortable...
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

One of the facets to our recent performances, seems to centre around our game management. We can’t allow these to dictate the pace of the game early, just to conserve energy for a second half surge that could see the bottom fall out of it.

They will be well up for this - that niggle between the clubs could break out into open warfare in this game with the festering wounds still fresh from the last game. I would love to see us humiliate these with a right tousing, but to do it we must get at them, up tempo and go for the throat.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a refereeing decision swayed this one, but losing any ground to these at home is not acceptable. 3-1 :crest:
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Lanzini and Arnie to run riot and show Fast Eddie what real magic looks like.

3-0 West Ham.
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

If they have any sense they will try to close down Arnie, kick Manu and block off Arthur. Not sure they play like that, though they did handle Arsenal's 'threat' very well. I'm hoping others such as Creswell and Obiang step up a gear for this one or else it could be very tight.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

Think they've been quite lucky of late. Not a criticism because you need it but if you look at some of the decisions be it by officials or opposition players that have let them off the hook you'd need to think that might run dry soon.

I don't believe their defence is at all good and if we can disrupt their possession enough to prevent Fraser etc getting the ball then we should see this out with a win. I'd be happy with 1-0 but anticipate more.

One thing about them is they are stubborn to put down. Will have to be a 90 min performance.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

ClydeBuilt wrote:Think they've been quite lucky of late. Not a criticism because you need it but if you look at some of the decisions be it by officials or opposition players that have let them off the hook you'd need to think that might run dry soon.

I don't believe their defence is at all good and if we can disrupt their possession enough to prevent Fraser etc getting the ball then we should see this out with a win. I'd be happy with 1-0 but anticipate more.

One thing about them is they are stubborn to put down. Will have to be a 90 min performance.

Given the decision we got down there, it would be utter poetic justice if we got a controversial winner.

Preferably a penalty given against that snake Callum Wilson and Nobes can whisper 'now that's magic son' in his ear after he has converted it.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Iron George wrote:
Preferably a penalty given against that snake Callum Wilson and Nobes can whisper 'now that's magic son' in his ear after he has converted it.
Are we actually blaming Wilson for that goal?
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

mushy wrote:
Are we actually blaming Wilson for that goal?
Any (and EVERY) referee can make a mistake. But it takes a special kind of c*** to (a) put the ball in with his arm and then (b) protest to the officials "if you're thinking of giving that as offside against me, I didn't touch it...honest!" [before (c) taking credit for the 'touch' in the post match].

I am taking the missus to the game tomorrow and - if she doesn't boo his every touch - I shall be looking for an uncontested divorce.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Bramwell wrote:
Any (and EVERY) referee can make a mistake. But it takes a special kind of **** to (a) put the ball in with his arm and then (b) protest to the officials "if you're thinking of giving that as offside against me, I didn't touch it...honest!" [before (c) taking credit for the 'touch' in the post match].

I am taking the missus to the game tomorrow and - if she doesn't boo his every touch - I shall be looking for an uncontested divorce.
It sounds like I am defending the guy(am not) but is the above what actually happened or is it a bit of poetic licence?
If Lanzini had done the same for West Ham and not admitted it would we be giving him the same dogs abuse?
To me the fault lies entirely on Madley's sloping shoulders. I think he was just being an arrogant knob.
Bramwell

Post by Bramwell »

Mushy - I can certainly agree with you about Bobby Madley :thup: :D

I guess if I ask myself "if that'd been Manu and WE'D equalised, would I feel as angry?" then NO - I think you take whatever gifts you're given. But I thought Wilson's attitude in that post match interview was very little different to Maradona's "Hand Of God" claims in 1986.

VAR would have ruled it out, of course...in Test Match Hawkeye terms, 2 red lights, decision overturned. But I really don't want VAR - luck DOESN'T even out by the end of the season, but Manu's dive and Wilson's handball certainly DO.

But don't get me started on that Diving Panel nonsense.
Last edited by Bramwell on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bramwell

Post by Bramwell »

Posted twice
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

matchday and I hope we turn up today. win this and we have made progress. lose and back down the bottom again.

no sakho carroll or Hernandez ? Antonio reid not ready
so

Adrian
Collins ogbonna cresswell
zabaleta obiang noble kouyate masuaka
arnie lanzini

subs hart rice Cullen byram ayew Martinez haksackbonic

2-0 arnie x 2
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The line up above looks most likely, although I am wondering whether the better left-sided CB would be Rice. If memory serves, Cresswell had a stinker at their place in December.

Even with the odd question mark over Kou's application, we've surely got enough in the midfield battle to allow for a foundation to take the game to The Cherries.

As for sub's, unless he's unavailable through injury, Sakho gets my nod, because he's the best bet to come on and put in some running and stretch an already dubious defence.

I'd also look to introducing Byram for 15-20 at the end of the game, to both offer another fresh legs outlet and also give him some minutes for the Wigan game.

Not a 'must win', but obviously a very useful 3 points, if we can get them.

One or both of Arnautovic and Lanzini to score.

1-0 or 2-0 Irons.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Worried about today. Honestly think if we win this we will push on for a decent second half of the season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

how can we play sakho he wants out and is not interested. I agree that when on form he is our best striker or was !

hopefully Hernandez is on the bench and can come on and do something . lanzini Hernandez arnie as front three would be interesting but I would start him on the bench.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Massive massive game for us today. A win could set us up for the rest of this run of games against bottom half teams and clear of relegation. A loss could put us straight back in the brown stuff.

Once again how we start the match is all important. An early goal would force them out of their shell and give us the opportunity to play on the break a bit. Languishing too long rolling the ball about in the middle with no real cut and thrust will frustrate the crowd and players and give this lot a boost.

After the boxing day shenanigans we are definitely owed a win, but football is not a fair mistress. I can see it being tight, slow and scrappy until there is a goal and a probable score draw.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I’m going 4-3 to us, goals everywhere (and I’m still hungover)