FAC4: Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham Utd (27/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham Utd: FA Cup 4th rnd match thread

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

Arnie won't be scoring on Saturday unfortunately.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Two very evenly matched teams. 1-2 :crest:
Pango

Post by Pango »

DM will not have many to pick from fellas. So I would not have a go at him for not trying to win the game.

We more or less have a whole starting XI out injured.

No Arnie, Lanzini and Antonio is a disaster before we even get to the likes of Cress, Carroll, Fonte etc etc

Just get behind who we have got ..... he'll likely only be able to rest Adrian anyway.

:crest:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

With the dedication of our away support, I'm surprised I got four tickets this morning on a claret membership.

One of my first aways for a very long time and looking forward to it.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hart, Byram, Burke, Rice, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang, Cullen, Noble, Hernandez, Martinez

I think that's basically all we have left standing, aside from Kouyate :lol:
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Not going to be an easy game this. We've lost our creative players to injury so reckon order of the day will be Collins big-toeing high balls for Martinez to chase.

I reckon we will see Cullen, Burke, Oxford & Rice.

Not one for the spectators I feel.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Palace game is huge 3 days later. Lose that and we are right back in relegation trouble. Honestly think we may just have to sacrifice this game and play the kids. I know it’s **** but with injuries And considering palace have no game this weekend can’t see any Other options.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Palace game is huge 3 days later. Lose that and we are right back in relegation trouble. Honestly think we may just have to sacrifice this game and play the kids. I know it’s **** but with injuries And considering palace have no game this weekend can’t see any Other options.
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

I'd probably like to go with

Hart
Byram - Collins - Burke - Cresswell
Rice - Noble - Cullen
Ayew - Martinez - Habsanovick

Could have Hernandez from the start but Martinez looked like a good presser so that would work well.
Fast passing on the ball rather than the over the top from defenders to attackers we saw against Shrewsbury away.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

bubbles500 wrote:Palace game is huge 3 days later. Lose that and we are right back in relegation trouble. Honestly think we may just have to sacrifice this game and play the kids. I know it’s **** but with injuries And considering palace have no game this weekend can’t see any Other options.
Who gives a f*** about the Palace game? Last time we threw a cup game we went and got beat by Newcastle.

I'd rather be in an exciting relegation battle and into the next round of the cup than be plodding along in 10th with f*** all to look forward to.

Just go for it with the strongest available team, most of the players have got a 2 week chill out after 10th February.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I'd go full strength personally and try and smash these for some confidence for tuesday against palace. I hope we don't sacrifice this game, the cup is special, the premier league is boring and we have a chance at progressing here if we take it seriously.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

There's a bottom line, here, for our on-loan keeper.

He desperately needs to play himself back into contention in the league, and the only way of achieving that, is with a good (clean sheet) performance against lower league opponents.

Its not all just kids in our reserves, after all.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

DDHammer wrote:I'd rather be in an exciting relegation battle and into the next round of the cup than be plodding along in 10th with **** all to look forward to.

Just go for it with the strongest available team, most of the players have got a 2 week chill out after 10th February.
Id agree with this – even with the injury worries we have I think we’ll still finish between 11th-15th. Ill be honest Ill be absolutely gutted if we go out of the cup this weekend
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

TheHandOfDog wrote:I'd go full strength personally and try and smash these for some confidence for tuesday against palace. I hope we don't sacrifice this game, the cup is special, the premier league is boring and we have a chance at progressing here if we take it seriously.
aye
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

prophet:marginal wrote:There's a bottom line, here, for our on-loan keeper.

He desperately needs to play himself back into contention in the league, and the only way of achieving that, is with a good (clean sheet) performance against lower league opponents.
So we should line up with kids only, and make him work for 90 min :P
Rampton

Post by Rampton »

bubbles500 wrote:Palace game is huge 3 days later. Lose that and we are right back in relegation trouble. Honestly think we may just have to sacrifice this game and play the kids. I know it’s **** but with injuries And considering palace have no game this weekend can’t see any Other options.
Correct, it's a huge game, but we are not out of relegation trouble - yet. Just 6 points separate 9th spot and the relegation places, it's gonna be an interesting and very close battle. We'll need to keep an eye over our shoulder for the rest of the season IMHO.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

I'll take a replay!
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I'm thinking we will lose this one 2 or 3 nil with a real weak team out. Defeat against Palace though would be a disaster and a real confidence blow so that has to be the priority for putting out the strongest team we can currently muster.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

strongest possible only two I would have rested would be lanzini and arnie but they are now injured. Palace is Tuesday night plenty of time to recover.

Hart
rice ogbonna burke
byram noble obiang Cullen masuaka
ayew Hernandez

subs Adrian Collins kouyate habsanovick Martinez Antonio oxford

need to win for confidence. 2-0 hammers
El Brooko

Post by El Brooko »

I would also say that we are going to be relying on Hernandez and Ayew for the next month.

Playing them together in a game that (with all respect) we should be able to dominate and create chances might help in the long run for both confidence and understanding.