FAC4: Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham Utd (27/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham Utd: FA Cup 4th rnd match thread

Post by Jumby »

Did Arthur make it back onto the bus today or did he get lynched and hung?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Still the limp goes on
Everlasting
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Jumby wrote:Did Arthur make it back onto the bus today or did he get lynched and hung?

I heard he got within spitting distance of the coach before the driver decided to pull away leaving him behind.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

EmbarrassIng and pathetic day for the club. Shame on all involved, especially Masuaku.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

daveo wrote:
They had their biggest crowd of the season, the town and fans were up for it as were the players. Newport v Spurs was a bigger game for Newport. Notts Co v Swansea was a bigger game for Notts Co. As was Shrewsbury against us.

The Cup,is an opportunity for lesser players to excel on a bigger stage, always has been always will
Wigan were favourites with the Bookies, where Spurs and Swansea did they lose ?

As for lesser players ours lesser ones didn't excel

If we'd gave it go and come unstuck then fair play to Wigan, but we didn't make an effort to score never mind win. Wigan should have done better than they did
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

Colours never run wrote:
Why was it a bigger game for them? Have our mob won enough to not bother with cups?

We've ****ing bottled 3 games against League One opposition, don't tell me if we really wanted it we wouldn't be in the next round.

Season is finished, manager didn't tell our boys to go for it...****ing embarrassing performance and it's seeped down from the managers negativity about how important the league is over the cup.

Yep and it doesn't have to be this way either, as the previous manager proved (he's not the only one but a dying breed in todays game) by at least trying and beating lower level opposition domestically, only to go out to the best teams around. Nothing excuses the lack of will to win in the previous 3 Cup games. Even against Accrington Stanley in Bilics less convincing win of the lot he was still trying to win late on after going down to 10 men due to injury in the last 10 minutes. It's that type of mentality I want to see from a manager no matter how bad we are playing at the time.

Bad performances will always happen but a lot of the time it's the way you lose (or win playing badly) wanting to win that counts. I never thought in any of the last 4 Cup games did I think West Ham truly wanted to win the ties. And I had the same level of distaste for Allardyce in the Cups for his approach a lot of the time.
To be fair against Shrews at home Lanzini played 120 mins and Arny came on late on to try to win the game so I disagree in regard to that game.

Bilic didn’t have a relegation battle in either of his 2 full seasons so didn’t have to prioritise as Moyes has had to do.

Prioritising the Prem for a team in the bottom half is sadly a symptom of the modern game, its far from exclusive to WH
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Not long in. Shameful, nothing further to add. :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bilic was flirting with relegation form this time last year, surely.

And the 0-5 obliteration on the Friday before the classic 3rd round weekend, was, for me, the beginning of the end of for him.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I wasn't surprised. I expect West ham to treat the fans like crap. Today was just the latest example of the club not caring about what the fans want and want it costs the to support the team.

Come travel to the north to support your team. We're not going to put out a strong team and we're not going to let them try very hard. After all they have 11th place to aim for. Anyway, enjoy the pies.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

prophet:marginal wrote:Bilic was flirting with relegation form this time last year, surely.

And the 0-5 obliteration on the Friday before the classic 3rd round weekend, was, for me, the beginning of the end of for him.
We didn't show any attacking intent that night either. We sat in our own half looking scared, while Man City waited for us to give the ball to them in a silly position. The Moyes haters forget this though...

We don't care about cups while we have these owners. It's very simple. We tried in the FA Cup under Slav in his first season, but we were in the top 6. Moyes has come in when we were at a low point. The cups would've almost been off limits to him.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

Not gonna go on about the game itself, most points are obvious. I’ve heard the alleged abuse rumours. The thing about things said in a one on one is that they are very hard to prove either way. What I will say is, spitting is a disgusting and vile thing to do. However, compared to racially abusing someone, it doesn’t even come close but I’m sure we’ll never know the truth.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

If the club did care about the fans (which they don’t) they could refund tickets for today - take it from the money they should be fining Masuaku for, or take it from the 50% gate receipts I believe they get from today (unless it’s chnaged), or from the merit payment for reaching the 4th round.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Could be looking at six match ban....

Not a penalty either, where was he supposed to put his arm FFS...... Where was VAR in that game then.....
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

Always amazes me that a Premier League club in the worlds most prominent football competition has literally no depth outside of their best 11.

Embarrassing
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

So that's West Brom down and us safe then.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Can’t say I’m surprised, when have our second string players ever played well in a cup game and put pressure on the first team......no matter how poor the first team is playing at the time.
Graza

Post by Graza »

From MOTD highlights.

First goal was Burke losing his man but a good delivery and finish. Thought we really should have scored just before half time, bit more composure needed.

Red card was just silly, no idea what had been going on between them before that but the ball goes out and the bloke takes a cheap shot to leave something in on him, he reacts. It's not exactly a classy thing to do but 6 games? Really? Is that proportional? Let breaking tackles can get you 3, diving can get you 2 (as long as you don't play for one of sky's pet teams). Are the league really saying that had he nutted him he would have had a lesser penalty?

Short of having his arms amputated I'm not sure what Burke could have done differently for the pen, there was a bit of motion in his arm but it was totally within the profile of his torso.

I don't do away because I can't afford the time but anyone who has put it in to watch this back to back FA cup dross deserves a medal. If Masuaku does get a ban of 6 weeks the club should collect his wages for that period and reimburse the lot of you.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Doc H Ball wrote:So that's West Brom down and us safe then.

:)

Yep , that's right , the effort they put in against Liverpool today means they won't recover for at least 3 months .

Anyway , never mind , we'd have only got Man Utd at Old Trafford in the next round .

Young Nick Powell looked good .
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

There are some desperate defences on here of another shameful day for the club. Four cup games now under Moyes and we've done f*** all in any of them. Poor performance are no surprises but the lack of intent is absolutely disgraceful. No excuses - we could at least have tried.

Even under Terence Brown, who has a similar love of money to the current lot, we would did give up in the cups as we now do, and as we did under Allardyce in that infamous year. We even nearly won it once. That this board are second best in outcome and ambition to Brown's board says all you need to know about this lot.
Graza

Post by Graza »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Even under Terence Brown, who has a similar love of money to the current lot, we would did give up in the cups as we now do, and as we did under Allardyce in that infamous year. We even nearly won it once. That this board are second best in outcome and ambition to Brown's board says all you need to know about this lot.
In fairness the gate for cup games meant something to the clubs bottom line in Browns day