West Ham Utd 1-1 Crystal Palace (30/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerInMaryland

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by HammerInMaryland »

--------------------Adrian----------------------
-------Collins-Ogbonna-Rice--------------
Zaba-Kouyate-Noble-Mario-Cresswell
-------------Ayew-Hernandez--------------

I think starting Byram over Zaba is wishful thinking.

Hart, Fonte, Burke, Cullen, Byram, Martinez, Antonio

And we carry the day, 2-1.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

What's that bloke up to who Harry brought on in a pre-season friendly? The one he called out of the crowd? Is he still playing? Time for a second appearance!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Colours never run wrote:
Nonsense. Cabaye and Loftus Cheek have been integral to their teams improvement under Hodgeson and have missed Sakho theur record summer buy for most of the season and Dann who is one of their best defenders. Schlupp is also a big player who recently done well for Leicesters League and Champions League success. Puncheons also been an integral player for Palace in recent years missed in midfield. Its hardly 1 or 2 first teamers but in actual fact missing their 'core'. Its just in defence and midfield they're losing them not up front like us.

How you are saying their key players out for them is vastly different to our lot out injured is wide of the mark.

Note that I didn’t mention Cabaye or Loftus Cheek...

So they’re missing Sakho and Dann, we’re missing Reid and Fonte, like for like I’d say. Except we’ll be the team playing a teenager at the back due to a lack of depth.
Schlupp who made 20 appearances for Leicester that season, not many of which were starts, we’ll say he’s Masuaku, we’re the losers there.

Cabaye for Obiang, like for like again.

The vast difference is we’re missing Arnautovic and Lanzini, as well as Ayew, Carroll and now Sakho has left.

Imagine if you took Zaha, Townsend, Benteke and Sako away from Palace? They’d have nothing.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

hammerman11 wrote:maybe fonte on the bench but too soon I would think. also Antonio but we have no striking options.
speaks for itself that we're turning to a fresh out of the infirmary antonio for hope after his performance last time we played this lot.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

TheJackHammer

So like I say, not a million miles away from our own injury woes. Teenager at the back? I guess you're referring to Rice who's shown a lot of quality but not sure what his age has got to do with anything. If they're good enough then so they should play. Although I suspect any of Collins, Ogbonna, Fonte, Cresswell, Zabaleta, Byram will be asked to play instead which are all experienced first teamers. Is Reid definitely ruled out for this one?

Regarding Strikers we still have Hernandez to call upon up front (after all he's in your Avatar so you must rate him) with Antonio likely to be back and possibly Ayew depending on what they want to do with him in the window. Kouyate and Noble will also be back supporting Hernandez and Antonio up front with new signing Mario able to come in if Moyes wants. It's not like we'll have absolutely nothing available up front or going forward.

Palace have only Benteke and Sako to call upon up front both of which haven't been all that this season. Townsend blows hot and cold but they do have Zaha which is a big plus for them.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Interesting how Palace line up for this actually. They won’t be able to play on the traditional counter as I’d suspect Moyes will know that and have us sitting quite deep. Quite a tactical battle this one.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

My pendulum of hope has swung back the other way from opimistic pre Bournemouth to now pessimistic once again.
Us 0 them 2.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Don't ask me why but I will be getting out of my sick bed to attend this game. I swear West Ham will be the death of me one day. Hope it's not tomorrow though.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

johnnyb wrote:Don't ask me why but I will be getting out of my sick bed to attend this game.
johnny, for a second there I though you were Carroll writing that, then I realised he's still on life-support.
They don't deserve you, mate.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Sakho (not sure which one, I think they have two) and Cabaye back for them for tomorrow I’m reading.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Sorry can’t keep up. Can someone confirm who’s actually out or maybe easier who’s available.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

We look very, very weak up front but we've gotta throw everything at them early on and get the first goal.

Take away Zara and they're nothing special but unfortunately I see this as a draw that doesn't help either team too much.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

To put into context how thin on the ground we are. The U23s tonight only have four subs. Three of which are in our academy, not the U23 squad.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Antonio and Reid have been done over so many times the past 18 months from being necessarily pushed into action too quickly after injury due to circumstances like this - probably a fair chance of it happening again tomorrow. Then they both cop it for being behind the pace or going down again quickly.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

We've got 14 matches left and, if we got a point from each one, we'd (probably) survive on 40 points.

If we've got two buses, we may as well park them in front of Adrian and see what Palace do, when allowed the ball away from our goal.

It's crazy to think this, but I cannot even see a draw, if Palace get a good start.

But, by the same token, Jane's teams do have a cussedness, borne, no doubt, out of a wish to not anger Stuart 'The Stare' Pearce on the sidelines.

I actually worry more, the further upfield we go.

Is this Hernandez's last chance saloon?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Dislike Palace. Injuries or not, I'd like us to give them a good old fashioned shoeing. Especially that Zaha, who is an utter c**t.
Samba

Post by Samba »

The thing is, Palace can be pretty inept at times. And we're at home.
0-3
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Could well be a heavy defeat looming here.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Dreading the thought of Zaha waltzing through our makeshift midfield and defence on that big pitch.
Samba

Post by Samba »

HammerAl wrote:Dreading the thought of Zaha waltzing through our makeshift midfield and defence on that big pitch.
We should have bought Max F***ing Power..