West Ham Utd 1-1 Crystal Palace (30/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by simon1982 »

Blow Bubbles wrote:We must have been watching a different game Irrons. Opinions eh!

I saw a player hanging onto the ball too long, waiting for a touch to go down. He got lucky with what from further away might have looked like ‘skill’ - he fell over his own feet!

But even if I’m wrong on all that, his lack of effort and deciding not to make runs is inexcusable.
You did watch a different game. The little pea was good tonight
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Was shocked to hear about Antonio's antics. He ran his socks off and more for Slaven. Perhaps DM's man management is not for him, bromance and all that.

Thought the ref blew for us tonight. The early yellow for Mili, their captain, was correct but took the wind out of their sails a bit. Bit of poetic justice and all that. Zaba had Zaha in his pocket bar one incident but we always had three on that diver. Also an excellent yellow for Townsend for diving. Byram couldn't complain for his card but that was a decent one for the team - could well have been a fast break.

Overchuffed with the result but reckon we had the better chances. Sorry for Sako, especially after the long lay off he had to endure, still, the challenge was a good one.

Also think that people criticising Rice for the goal is harsh. I watched the goal again and my initial thought that he should've pushed him a little was wrong, as he was only close enough to do so in the box. It simply was a good break.

Roll on Saturday
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Much better than I expected tonight. A bit like the Bournemouth games a reasonably entertaining draw. Though 4 or 5 of our players could have got M of M. A good game from Mario.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Considering who we had available I thought it an excellent performance by the team and tactically spot on by Moyes. Noble and Zab, for me, were outstanding and I was pleased with Rice and Byram. The new guy didn't hide and appears to have a good first touch and willingness to receive the ball and create opportunities. Surprised at some of the negative views on here, but I suppose some prefer to be miserable.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I wasn't relishing going tonight, but ended up really enjoying that. Considering the team is meant to be on its last legs, the Wigan rest for some seems to have worked wonders. No substitutions from our side until the 86th minute and then only Cheik going off for a well deserved rest. Hopefully we came out of the match without any further injuries.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

A fit team I think we'd have rolled over them tonight. Actually surprised they are the side who have been on such good form of late.

Absolutely everyone gets a thumbs up for effort. Some tempo and awareness errors crept in but when you see some of the challenges Ginger, Zabs, Noble and Kouyate stuck in then you have to just applaud the industry.
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

The contrast with Saturday in terms of commitment and effort, and no little skill was huge. The contribution of Kouyate this evening, who wasn't playing on Saturday, cannot be underestimated. Wholehearted, full of energy and no little skill, together with Mark Noble, made the difference. I couldn't understand why Hodgson didn't play to Palaces's strengths, that is speedy counter-attacking, he certainly had the players on the pitch to do it. They clearly felt content with the single point, their noisy supporters were clearly unimpressed with this. Constantly trying to pick out Benteke (well it did work once) ultimately over the course of the game played to our central defensive strengths, another great game by Ogbonna - consistent player of the season?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Given the tools at our disposal I’m happy with the point.

Thought Zabaleta, Rice & Noble were the pick of our players.

If Kouyate gets anymore bandages he’s going to end up as a a scooby doo villain
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Rio wrote:Given the tools at our disposal I’m happy with the point.

Thought Zabaleta, Rice & Noble were the pick of our players.

If Kouyate gets anymore bandages he’s going to end up as a a scooby doo villain
Or 'The Invisible Man'!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Roy Hodgson v West Ham Utd [audio]
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132131
wasserburg_hammer

Having listened to Woy I've got to say the man's got class. Same goes for his pre-match talk.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

A dull game, but a good point.....
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

That was better than losing, but we need to start getting those points in before the run in.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

So going by the trend of the majority of posts, the point we obtained v Palace…at home… was perfectly acceptable given the players on the park. Therefore can I assume that should we not get a number of 1st choice players back for Brighton and it’s relatively the same team and we lose, it’s still perfectly fine ?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I've not seen the game (work) so I can't give an opinion on the quality of football, but I was generally happy with the result, given our injury list. I don't know why people are quoting possession statistics, Leicester won the league consistently recording figures of 35% or so. After the abuse he's had from many I'm pleased Kouyate received rave reviews and reports of Mario's involvement are positive. On the subject of Antonio's exclusion, some people struggle to get anywhere on time. I know because I'm one of them. Impressive stand by Moyes though, given the shortage of players tonight
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Claret & Blue World wrote:So going by the trend of the majority of posts, the point we obtained v Palace…at home… was perfectly acceptable given the players on the park. Therefore can I assume that should we not get a number of 1st choice players back for Brighton and it’s relatively the same team and we lose, it’s still perfectly fine ?
Get with it mate, we just drew at home to the mighty Nigel's....party time.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Thought we played well overall, Mario excellent passing range and glides with the ball, moves like Lanzini. Kouyate was an absolute monster, thought Hernandez ran his socks off and had a good game.

Looking at points dropped again though because Sullivan sold off most of our squad and doesn't spend money.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

davids cross wrote:David Moyes -

"Michail Antonio would have been in the squad tonight. He missed out for disciplinary reasons, he turned up late to a meeting and not for the first time. "
I must say that I like this about Moyes.
We were really short on numbers and could have done with a decent option from the bench (given that he's just coming back fro injury) but stuck to his principles. Many other managers would have been too gutless to risk leaving out a star performer.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

That was a well worked goal for Palace, but I still rue the slightly sloppy marking.

The welcome thing is that we seemed (from the radio) to be linking reasonably dangerously in their half before and after they scored. If we'd gone 0-1 with Bilic, I often felt we didn't have the spirit to drag ourselves back into the game.

I did however get the real impression that the teams were happy to be level after the break, without really pressing hard for an extra 2 points. Not pointing a finger of blame, here, given the crisis levels of injured and the fire sale interface, but some of these draws need in fact to be victories, to avoid late-season squeak.
wasserburg_hammer

Tenbury wrote:Get with it mate, we just drew at home to the mighty Nigel's....party time.
You are a Liverpool fan and I get my fiver :clap: