Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (03/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Re: Brighton & Hove Albion v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... eam-return" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don’t worry everyone. Antonio is deciding where he wants to play again. Left or right side of our “3-4-2-1”. But ideally the left.

Antonio has spoken.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

TommyHammer wrote:Heard Ginge gave it the 'wheres the money' gesture after the game. Class if true.
I like the sentiment, but when you're the primary defender responsible for 2 goals, maybe you should put your head down and head to the dressing room.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

where was byram playing?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

jacko wrote:where was byram playing?
Right wing back. But apparently according to whufc.com we’ve been playing 3-4-2-1. So essentially right midfield.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I know I ain't imagining it we have Carroll who thrives on the ball in the air to him so our midfield ping it in waist high or under. Stick 5'6" Chica in the box and we put the type of cross Carroll would thrive on. FFS it ain't bast**d rocket science, if a div like me can see it. Chica to his feet or to run on to. Carroll at his head the rest of him is fragile.
God knows what Hugill will want but it's odds on he wont be getting it.
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

jacko wrote:where was byram playing?
Playing?
Thats kinda stretching it a bit
artlin

Post by artlin »

Difficult for the new guys to bed in so quickly and injured players getting back as well.

Personally, I would prefer to Kouyate at CB with Rice further forward with Noble, better pace.

Moyes has got all week now to work on it.

Onwards and upwards.

:scarfer:
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

HammerMan2004 wrote:https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... eam-return" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don’t worry everyone. Antonio is deciding where he wants to play again. Left or right side of our “3-4-2-1”. But ideally the left.

Antonio has spoken.
We played a formation? Could’ve fooled me in the ground! No real shape, was impressed with Hernandez’s attitude for his goal. Chasing down a lost ball and winning it, smart pass then receiving it again showing good footwork and accuracy.

I thought at half time we could go on to kick it. Up until a few minutes after their 2nd I still thought that. The 3rd was something different. It just looked and felt like we were going through the motions, similar to a dead rubber at the end of the season.

3 points off the relegation zone. Watford now is a must win. 2 out of our next 4 are teams very close to us. Ass into that a visit to Anfield too. As it stands now we have 2 matches against teams essentially safe in Burnley and Leicester. 5 against the probable top 5-7. The rest are all around us, we keep dropping points everywhere. A couple of weeks of bad results for us and others going against us we are in trouble. 12th is only due to 11 or so teams scrapping for survival.

At the BG, I’d expect and have seen us turn up when it gets hard and we needed to show fight and win. I don’t think we will see that at the ****hole in Stratford. Not for a long time at least.
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

A typical West Ham result post xmas. This is nothing new. Lets be honest, Brighton wanted it more and played well. We played like a team decimated by injuries particularly in key areas. We now have players coming back, including Antonio who lacked match fitness/sharpness. Reid was on the bench and Mario looks good (looking forward to seeing him and Lanzini). Lets face it we are going to limp through the rest of the season and I 'choose' to be optimist rather than miserable.
sizza

Post by sizza »

Up the Junction wrote:From Gnome:

"Anti board banner unfurled. Stewards tried to move in. Fans blocked the way. Stewards eventually backed down after being told there would be a riot."
e17 wrote:Hope there will be photos/video

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVIFj4JWkAAQ_Vb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by -DL- on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Image too large. Changed to link.
17 years of hurt
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

I think that performance was a direct result of all the turmoil this week. Players just weren’t at it. They can be forgiven this poor performance as long as they get it right next week as cup games aside, we had been on a fairly decent run.

A lot of poor performances but what the f*** was Antonio on when he came on. Absolute dogshit performance and he really looked like he couldn’t be arsed to be out there today. Worrying at the moment as we are very short on options.

Whimper over the line and rebuild in the summer.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Antonio:- “We need to be professionals"
What?...like turn up for meetings on time when we're supposed to? :?
Kev59
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Diogenes wrote:A typical West Ham result post xmas. This is nothing new. Lets be honest, Brighton wanted it more and played well. We played like a team decimated by injuries particularly in key areas. We now have players coming back, including Antonio who lacked match fitness/sharpness. Reid was on the bench and Mario looks good (looking forward to seeing him and Lanzini). Lets face it we are going to limp through the rest of the season and I 'choose' to be optimist rather than miserable.
Yep, Brighton did play well, but we allowed them the space to do it. Their first goal was down to Ginge IMO. He was expecting the ref to blow for the foul and didn't track Murray. Their second goal was really good.

Byram was utter ***** from the minute he came on to being subbed.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

1 out of 10 is too high a rating for Collins today.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 618 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Good to see that the 'not interested in the FA Cup' attitude has worked out well.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes

Post by e-20 »

TommyHammer wrote:Heard Ginge gave it the 'wheres the money' gesture after the game. Class if true.

I so want this to be true. I guess now the window is shut we are in **** for players and his contract runs out in the Summer anyway, within reason he can do what he wants. Gives him massive support and cred from the fans (will come in useful after that performance) while not only aggravating the weevils but knowing if Sullivan decides to punish him as a breach of discipline or some such trumped up response it will only come back down tenfold on his lowly shoulders. Give the guy a medal I think he is shaping up to be a true witness for the prosecution when he leaves.
Last edited by e-20 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Jersey
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by New Jersey »

I thought they ripped us up in midfield. We knew what we needed in January, the same thing we’ve needed for a past few transfer windows, a defensive midfielder. Even more important now having seen Obiang get injured. But we messed around as usual and we got what we deserved today, second best to bloody Brighton!

Two great goals from them, not sure the defense was to blame. I thought Chico took his goal well, everything bad in the game came through our non existent midfield. How we were crying out for a Dendocker or someone similar today.

Why we didn’t get a defensive midfielder is a mystery. Was it the owners or does Moyes think Zab is the solution?
I can see the same problem against Watford, which is now a must win game.

I still think there will be three teams worse than us, but we desperately need Lanzini and Arnie back as soon as possible, and we might need some shock results against the top boys, bit like Bournemouth did at Chelsea.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes

Post by e-20 »

Iron-on-transfer wrote:
Antonio:- “We need to be professionals"

What?...like turn up for meetings on time when we're supposed to? :?
He likes a bit of irony does our Antonio.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

We have been outplayed (twice) and out spent by a newly promoted club on it's first ever season in the Premier league.

That's where we stand.

Oh and their purpose built stadium is better too.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by danm79 »

e-20 wrote:I so want this to be true.
100% true