West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by BondsoBob »

Well done lads. Good win against a team that must have been high on confidence after pasting Chelsea. But I'm another not in the Moyes camp.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Remember, they tried to force Ginge out last month :eh:
Up there with Chelsea scouting AC in terms of absolute stupidity.
artlin

Post by artlin »

artlin wrote:
I have no idea what the outcome of this game will be.

However, as a loyal WHU fan of many years, I would like the final score to be 2 - nil to the cockney boys.

Thankyou very much. :scarfer: COYRRGSHTI
Oh Er missus.

Just call me Mystic Meg.
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Great finish to a bad week for the club. A 2 week break now should mean that Lanzini may be back for Liverpool. We need 3 wins and a draw from our remaining 11 games to ensure survival which should be doable. COYI
brothernero
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

artlin wrote:
I have no idea what the outcome of this game will be.

However, as a loyal WHU fan of many years, I would like the final score to be 2 - nil to the Cockney Boys

What an Odd post, is there any LOYAL West Ham fan then who was hoping for us to lose. :eh:
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We may have won and we played well in parts first half but our tactics second half were really poor. We defended so deep and simply gave it back to them time after time. Personally think we were lucky to get away with that win.
Really negatuve anti football in the 2nd half
Nah! Not having that. Well in parts...??? Some peeps expect too much... Give credit to Watford in the 2nd half, who pressed and pressed and then pressed again. Our defense was resolute and really well organised. Yes, we played deep, but we were good enough to soak up the pressure and then score when the opportunity came our way.

If we were lucky to come away with a win, that's the sort of luck I'll take all day.

Big :thup: :thup: :thup: to the team.
Last edited by Upton Carp on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

FEH wrote: Glad we won but I felt embarrassed. Poor performance, very lucky.
A defensive second half performance it may have been - albeit a second half in which they had no chances and we still had plenty on the break - and you think it was both embarrassing and poor as an overall performance?

Think that's a bit weird, personally.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

:)

Bravo brotherno . Mid table (at best!) has been our position for 50 years .

This is another very West ham season. Spuds and Chelsea felled. Some very tidy home wins with demolition jobs at Stoke and Hudds. :thup:
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Well set up tactically by Moyes and good substitutions. A few things stood out to me.
1) it looks like there is a bit better morale/vibe/attitude amongst the players in spite of the shambles in the board room.
2) Hernandez work ethic and attitude is so much better post transfer window.
3) Collins should get another year. He may have the odd bad match, and be outclassed / outpaced by the Man City and Liverpool’s but against the physical teams who like to cross the ball or play route one, he is still well capable and he is a great leader.
3) Antonio is still short of match fitness but did a good job in his role. He was dangerous going forward and for the first time, very responsible defensively. He was caught upfield on one Watford attack but other than that did well.
4) We would be lucky to have Moyes long term. At times the football may be dull and defensive, but today we set up pretty aggressively with Arnie, Antonio, Chicharito and Joao Mario.
5) We still desperately need a proper defensive midfielder. I think if we had signed Dendoncker or Amadou I’d be resting easy knowing we’d stay up.
6) sign Joao Mario permanently. Best loan signing since Lanzini. In his short spell so far he has contributed more than Hart, Zaza, Calleri, Emineke, and Tore combined.
7) while Arnie was brilliant, Chicharito should have had a hatrick, and Colin’s was a rock. Noble was my Motm, at times it seemed like he was alone in midfield against Watford’s 3, His passing was great, he led the team well and made countless defensive contributions tracking back, making tackles, blocks and clearances. West Ham Legend.
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Still think it is a bit of negativity from Moyes when going a goal up , we were under the cosh second half when they came onto us a more butvwe allowed it .I was relieved when Deulofeu went off , strange sib from Eatford as he was giving Cressell real problems
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

wormley wrote:They should offer Moyes a 3 year contract.

Whether he signs it or not...??
Our owners will never do such a thing......

brothernero wrote:Bloody hope they don't. Yes he has done a good job, but my god we are such a chore to watch.
Probably because we are lacking in many positions. We arent actually very good.
Fortunately in Lanzini, Hernandez, Arnie and Antonio we have match winners.
We are a long long way from being good.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Bit of a strange one asking for Mario to be signed permanently ... off the back of today's perfromance which was probably his worst since joining. He was easily outmuscled today and didn't affact the game as he has done, but he's new to this league.

Antonio I thought did Ok, great cross for the goal and defensively was switched on but always open to a moment of ****ing loonesy, as was the case second half when he passed it inside his 6 yard box and we were fortunate to get it clear.

I wish Moyes would make subs a little earlier, he always seems to make changes when players are essentially at breaking point. Arnie I felt should have come off on 60, so Chicha coming off first was a bit of a mystery.

Very professional win, Wayford had 70pct possession but did f*** all with it. We had the best chances and stuck 2 away, job done !!

I fancy us to get at least a point at the bin dippers.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Home to Palace, Bournemouth and Watford. Away to Brighton.

5 Points. Very poor return that, had we been more positive in the 2nd half of those game, we easily could have picked up plenty of more points.

Jon I could not care less where our average league position has been over the last 50 years. I watch Football and West Ham to be entertained. Not to watch us try and score a goal and then put all 11 players behind the ball. Most certainly not at home and to teams such as the above.

That's why so many of us wanted Sam out and it is why so many don't want Moyes here next season.

3 texts already from mates at the game all saying the same. Good win, but a chore to watch.

If Moyes keeps us safe, then he will get all the credit he rightly deserves, does not mean he should be here next season or long term. Even at Everton his teams played the same style.

New Stadium now, new ambitions now, next level promised now, top players being signed now. That is what the fans were promised. I would hope that would mean not trying to play dull negative defensive football and simply trying to stay 17th each year while sticking two fingers up to the cups.

See for me and so many others that I know, if offered Premier League football with the aim to stay safe and having to play that kind of football or Championship or Lower but at least trying to play attacking football, I know which one we would prefer.

And before anyone says Moyes does not have the players, yes he does and he also did at Everton, Man United and Sociadad.

Moyes, Pulis, Allardyce. Does exactly what it says on the tin. But they are not for me.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Great result, will give a much needed confidence boost all round.

I see we did it with just a third of the possession too. Not that it matters, as we won the game, but being without the ball that much surely invites pressure from the opposition. In fact come to think of it, I can’t honestly remember the last league game where we had the majority of the ball :?

Imagine how good we’d be if we were any good at keeping the ball !
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

WorcesterWHU wrote: A defensive second half performance it may have been - albeit a second half in which they had no chances and we still had plenty on the break - and you think it was both embarrassing and poor as an overall performance?
Definitely not an embarrassing performance by any stretch - there was some nice play at times in that first half - but when James Collins is your man of the match, at home against bottom half opposition, it's usually not a great sign. Even if you were locked in a box for the last six hours you know precisely what that means - backs to the walls Alamo stuff camped in your half.

That's more of a Moyes issue than the players though - everyone put in a shift today.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:We are a long long way from being good.
Yeah but it makes a nice change when our forwards are better than the oppo's.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

No complaints from me. Watford fancied this after spanking Chelsea and although they dominated after the break they never really threatened.

Arnie, Oggy and Ginge joint MOTMs for me.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

"That's more of a Moyes issue than the players though - everyone put in a shift today."

Yep.

No issue at all with any of the effort the players put in today. They were sent out with a game plan, stuck to it and it worked.

But it's not the sort of football I want to see every game or long term.

Moyes is doing what It takes this season, I can live with that and understand it to a degree. But I cant get on board with offering him a 3 or 4 year contract, because for me that is the style of football we will always see if he is our manager.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Didn't see us winning that game, pretty much safe now, one win and a draw or 2 and that's us ready to finish 10th- 20th next season.
OFT
Has liked: 3240 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

5 live for me as usual.
At 'pen not given' and 'goal ruled out' I was thinking it was not going to be our day again. 2-0 though is good enough in this 'let's just get the necessary points' season.