West Ham Utd 2-0 Watford (10/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Sir_Trevor »

WoodgateHammer wrote:Well this will be interesting even more so now.....it was a massive six pointer before now we need to win just to stay in touch, could be well in the shyte if other results go against us and the same Watford turn up......
To be fair, it isn't so much of a 6 pointer now, as that implies both teams being desperate for points, which does not apply so much to Watford after tonight.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Honestly think this could be game that decides it. Not sure even if a draw is enough. But lose and we are in massive trouble with Liverpool and Swansea away days next. Lose and we will probably be 15th 2 points off the drop. It’s not just the points situation but the stadium will be toxic. The difference between winning and losing this is just enormous.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

And Watford get a massive confidence boost. Just what we needed. :fsake:
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Defo underdogs for this one.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

thejackhammer wrote:I hate Moyes, he’s too defensive, away at Huddersfield and Stoke playing a back five, totally gave them the upper hand!

And don’t get me started on the home game with Chelsea. Give me a 3-1 loss where we have a go over a 1-0 win any day of the week!

And to have the audacity to only get a draw against in form Crystal Palace with half a team missing, well.
Im guessing you were asleep then when we played Shrewsbury x2, Bournemouth, Wigan, Brighton? Because it was dire
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Dreading this game even more after tonight watching that Watford performance. Their players fit the London Stadium... Pace, athleticism... Everything we haven't got.

Deloufeu and Richarlison running at us with pace. Stuff of nightmares.

How/why were we not in for Deloufeu?! Loan deal too!
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I think all Moyes can do is park the bus because they will absolutely tan our hides with the pace and power they have up front. I will be surprised if its not a convincing win for them but we need to stop leaking goals because GD may be worth a point. Christ, it looks like very dark days ahead of us.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Sir_Trevor wrote:
To be fair, it isn't so much of a 6 pointer now, as that implies both teams being desperate for points, which does not apply so much to Watford after tonight.
That's my point ST, it WAS a massive six pointer, now it's a must win just to stay in touch....
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Watford wont need motivation for this. A win sees them pretty guaranteed to be safe from the drop.
WH_Olympic
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by WH_Olympic »

I have a sneaking suspicion that Hart will be back in the team for this one. I wouldn't say Adrian has been "undroppable" lately, but I don't think we will gain anything form playing Hart instead, other than deflating the confidence of one of our permanent players...

The Zabaleta midfield experiment has to end, and Watford are too good out wide for us to watch them tear Byram apart. Antonio can give Zabaleta a bit more protection down the right (if he actually bothers to put in any effort...) which would free up Kouyate to defend Cresswell's inside channel.

-------------------------- Hart -------------------------
---------- Reid ----- Ogbonna ----- Fonte --------
Zabaleta --- Noble ---- Kouyate --- Cresswell
--------- Antonio ----------------- Mario ------------
---------------------- Hernandez ---------------------

I think that's the strongest team we can put out currently, assuming that Fonte is 100% fit.
I guess another option would be to put Rice in as a defensive mid for more protection and pace in the middle, then playing a straight 4 at the back... A bit of risk though given how bad we've been in that shape before.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

I've missed 3 home games this season, Swansea, Chelsea and West Brom, I left Shrewsbury on 90 minutes.

I haven't seen us win at home since Huddersfield, that's ****ing depressing and I can't see it getting any better after this.

We'll line up with 7 defensive minded players on the pitch and have about 4 or 5 shots all game, 2-1 loss, Capoue and Richarlison, Hugill with the consolation.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

another tough game , would normally say a point would be great , but we're desperate for all 3 .

hoping for a 1-0 , backs to the wall win
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I’d start Hugill, someone who can actually hold onto the ball in attack.

Adrian
Zabaleta Ogbonna Rice
Antonio Noble Kouyate Cresswell
Mario
Hugill Hernandez

Oh wait, I forgot, Antonio told the official site he wants to play on the left wing.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm not too bothered about our results any more..... well, no that's not true, I am, like any true Hammers fan, I always want us to win no matter who we play, but the bigger and wider picture of removing the cancer that controls this great club of ours to my mind even weighs more importance of winning this match. Important though it is
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I don't think there is such a thing as form among the bottom ten sides or so. Them thumping Chelsea 4-1 will have no bearing on this game. However, that said I think we will lose. That's mainly down to our lack of a decent fit first 11 and probably a demotivated manager. I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer window has left Moyes feeling less than buoyant. That said, I've got fingers crossed for a bit of luck and a flukey win.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Puff Daddy wrote:I'm not too bothered about our results any more..... well, no that's not true, I am, like any true Hammers fan, I always want us to win no matter who we play, but the bigger and wider picture of removing the cancer that controls this great club of ours to my mind even weighs more importance of winning this match. Important though it is
Pretty much where I'm at, too.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Adrian
Kouyate Ogbonna Reid
Zabaleta Noble Rice Cresswell
Mario
Hugill Hernandez
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Having six and seven defenders in the team is not working.
We have scored more goals than the eight teams below us and three teams above us.
Lets attack our way to safety.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Interesting run of fixtures this week around us:

Everton v Palace
Stoke v Brighton
Swansea v Burnley
West Ham v Watford
Huddersfield v Bournemouth

Lose this and could quite easily only be safe on goal difference going into Liverpool.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

Important we don't let last night's result cloud our own decisions. Its some turnaround for them but its also a perfect storm of team who have new manager v team who are sacking their manager.