Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MB wrote:
Why spend £10m on a young wing back when you can get “experienced” ones for free?
Tbf when Robertson left dundee united and we were linked with him people thought Cresswell was england quality. People still thought liverpool might buy Cresswell as recently as last summer
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

As predicted by all except the delusional (er, me . . .) we got a deserved kicking from a much better and in-from team - absolutely no surprises there.

Positives - could have shipped six or seven - thank-you woodwork and Adrian. Arnie did a lot of work up top all on his todd.

Negatives - won't whine about too much but some of the passing from Ogbonna was embarrassing.

IMHO best player on the pitch was van Dijk. At some point we're going to need to see Hugill, Antonio and Arnie on the pitch at the same time in order to give a back four a real battering.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

the defence was awful today but playing three old players was suicide against the quick footed Liverpool players.
how can you start a 36 year old fullback in a game like this ?

ginge got exposed today which we knew he would so why did moyes play all 3 ? Rice was on the bench and should have started.

Adrian kept us in it at times. no protection.

Mario and lanzini in the same side away was also baffling.

onto another big game. if moyes sets up not to lose , we will !
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

As regards the t-shirts were these courtesy of West Ham or LFC?

Apologies for not reading the entire thread.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

61dicksey wrote:You cannot play old players against a team such as Liverpool , you need at least athleticism and sadly at md to late 30’s you have only got experience no pace. Zabaleta tries and is obviously was a good player but he is gone , Collins will always get done for pace, Evra is i guess Masuakas ban sit in for now. Cresswell has lost all semblence of a footballer.

The fastest man on earth is 36. Shame on you.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

White Goodman wrote:The fastest man on earth is 36. Shame on you.
I had to read that twice .

I thought it said the fattest man on earth .And I'm 54.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:Having seen the MOTD highlights, none of our defenders covered themselves in glory, but I thought Adrian and Ginge were very poor. Ginge looked utterly bemused at what was going on around him and Adrian's decision making and footwork was questionable. I would drop both of them for Swansea
I'm a big fan of Ginge's, and always have been. Yesterday was a big challenge for him, made a lot harder by the use of aging wing backs in Zabaleta and Evra. Those were difficult conditions for him.

I only saw highlights, but, from them, it was clear that Adrian saved 2 or 3 additional goals from going in.

The poverty was the initial selection. The players struggled, for sure, but they all did, in reality, against one of only a pair of teams habitually scoring 2+ goals a game.

We need a dust down and a re-focus. We don't need to drop the only decent goalkeeper we have.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

What are we dropping Adrian for?! The one goal he could have actually stopped where he cane out after the defence again had been exposed with a run in behind?
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

When you consider where we were compared to Liverpool in 2016 to where we are now, it's poles apart and only further highlights the gross under investment in the squad. GSB got 'lucky' with Payet and then rested on their laurels whilst giving it the big un re next level etc - quite depressing really...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Liverpool have been scoring for fun all season - Arsenal and Man City both went for four there and no one has beaten them at Anfield.

Tottenham outplayed them by being tight, only conceding one stupid goal and then outmuscling them.

We gave away three stinkers - none of which was really down to Collins, Evra, Zabaleta.

The goalkeeper was feeble and he didn't have his defence organised for the first goal; Cresswell gave the ball away needlessly for the second and the third was shambolic - Mario and Adrian.

Anyone who watches Liverpool regularly must know the risk is mainly in the transition and on the counter.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Anyone who watches Liverpool regularly must know the risk is mainly in the transition and on the counter.
That was made abundantly clear at the home match, against them.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

This was probably the single most predictable result of the Premiership.

We are a side built to battle for pickings amongst the bottom 12 teams. We are no where near a side that can be positive against the top sides and at best we look to nick a result where we can.

You can't compete with a side that contains the average Adrian, a painfully slow and regularly exposed Zabaleta, Collins and Evra.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Before the game it was highlighted that they score the vast majority of their home goals between 45 and 75 minutes.

That was the bit of the game where it had to be kept really tight and mistakes and needless loss of possession had to be avoided. We failed spectacularly on this front.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

bubbles1966 wrote:
That was the bit of the game where it had to be kept really tight and mistakes and needless loss of possession had to be avoided. We failed spectacularly on this front.
Its why I think it was a mistake to bring Lanzini back into the starting line up. He isn't a player set up for that.

It may have been beneficial to have Rice playing in front of the back four.
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ayriron »

Tbf when Robertson left dundee united and we were linked with him people thought Cresswell was england quality. People still thought liverpool might buy Cresswell as recently as last summer[/quote]

we watched Hendrie and Robertson for ages Robertson moved eventually we bought Hendrie everyone and their granny up here could have told you Robertson would be a better bet
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

First of all you have to say that Livperpool is magnificent currently, but Moyes should have started with the same lineup as against Watford. It was a mistake to bring Evra and Lanzini from the beginning, who hasn´t played for a long time before.

You can´t always expect, that Arnautovic and Lanzini run our offensive alone.

Mario had a nightmare yesterday
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Robertson now has the luxury of playing in a team that scores prolifically so it gets overlooked that he was completely AWOL for Antonio's goal and Arnie mugged him off a couple of times.

It's all very similar to Cresswell. If he gets all game to sling crosses in he looks great. Ask him to defend, that's another matter.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

Edit - repost.
***** those t shirts are going for up to £322 on the bay
Last edited by europeanscum on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Odessa wrote:As regards the t-shirts were these courtesy of West Ham or LFC?

Apologies for not reading the entire thread.
I think a lot of people were wondering who’d done it, but the WHU PR machine was very quick to put an article on the OS stating 3000 supporters wore Bobby t-shirts, ‘provided by the club’.

There’s already a load on eBay, one is going for over £300 currently. Would be nice to see money donated to charity but I doubt it will, shame
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

bristolhammerfc wrote:This was probably the single most predictable result of the Premiership.

We are a side built to battle for pickings amongst the bottom 12 teams. We are no where near a side that can be positive against the top sides and at best we look to nick a result where we can.

You can't compete with a side that contains the average Adrian, a painfully slow and regularly exposed Zabaleta, Collins and Evra.
exactly this