Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by steps »

Didn’t watch, didn’t listen to the game.

Read this morning Moyes has got an appalling record at Anfield.

Powder puff effort by all accounts.

Expect more of the same next season.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

Same as above. First time in a long time I had no interest in watching a West Ham game.

Saw the line up, expected it to be a good old thrashing. Checked the score at full time and oddly was quite surprised we only lost 4-1.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

I don't understand what Cresswell has done to start ahead of Declan Rice.
OFT
Has liked: 3192 likes
Total likes: 1831 likes

Post by OFT »

I have to admit at 3- 0 I went back on the tools and finished a pair of cupboard doors :oops:
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

We need to get a win at Swansea to put some daylight between us and them. Out Cresswell, Evra and Collins. Bring back Reid, Rice and Byram. We need some pace and the back three, all over 30, were lacking in pace and caught out time after time. We also need to drop Mario and be more adventurous up front. Mario was dreadful today and Noble not much better
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Like a good few of us here... I’ve got to the point where I really don’t have interest of the ins and outs... I’m just waiting for the end of this season and we’ll finish where we’ll finish... Moyes can go as I hope he will... right now I cannot bear the thought of him staying here... or his football...

When Slav left all the board created was a temporary solution because which they said ... they could not get the quality of manager in mid season.... if they extend this short term contract then I really will start to feel like the coffin lid is closing on my hopes....
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Fishdo wrote:Like a good few of us here... I’ve got to the point where I really don’t have interest of the ins and outs... I’m just waiting for the end of this season and we’ll finish where we’ll finish... Moyes can go as I hope he will... right now I cannot bear the thought of him staying here... or his football...

When Slav left all the board created was a temporary solution because which they said ... they could not get the quality of manager in mid season.... if they extend this short term contract then I really will start to feel like the coffin lid is closing on my hopes....
I feel much the same. Back in the days, it used to devastate my weekends when we lost. Nowadays, it just doesn't effect me. Guess it is another day in the life of a disillusioned WHU fan
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm sure I read somewhere, way back when he was in the dugout at Old Trafford, that Jane has got a quite terrible away record on nearly every 'big team' ground, since Everton onwards.

Its something like 6-8 away victories, against the likes of LFC, Arsenal, Chelsea MUFC over that entire time period.

Losing by three goals was tiresome.

Losing was fairly likely, all told, too.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 752 likes

Post by brothernero »

Read yesterday that it was 6 wins v those teams and very few draws.
Stringey
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stringey »

Fishdo wrote:Like a good few of us here... I’ve got to the point where I really don’t have interest of the ins and outs... I’m just waiting for the end of this season and we’ll finish where we’ll finish... Moyes can go as I hope he will... right now I cannot bear the thought of him staying here... or his football...

Can't agree with this, Moyes has turned a shower of a squad around since Slav departed and fully deserves a new contract on what he's achieved so far. Today was woeful, granted, but I've witnessed far too many displays at Liverpool over the last 40 years to know any different. Yes Slav won at Anfield, but let's face it he also got stuffed at home to them and just about everyone else, over the last 2 seasons.
If we get rid of Moyes who do we bring in?
Like some others have said though, I didn't really expect anything different today with this squad.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Considering Liverpool's form and that the first goal was a clear free kick to us, Milner pushing Adrian into the goal, we've little to complain about.

Play with the same attitude against Swansea and Burnley, and we'll come away with six points.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cresswell made some important interventions today.

Evra looked solid and wily but entirely like a player who has lost 50% of their ability over time. He is a fine enough short term squad acquisition, although cannot only be judged on a performance against Liverpool in that side.

Liverpool are the worst side for us to play, in terms of how the sides match up. Unlike City, they are just **** enough defensively that we got moments of confidence, which saw us later caught out.

Hopefully, next time we're there we'll have brought in 3 new defenders to replace Evra, Zabaleta and Collins (who should be a squad player rather than a starter)
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

If it wasn't for some very laissez faire defending, Liverpool would be a serious challenge to Man City at the top of the table.

Salah, Chamberpot and Trent whatsiface have got to be the fastest, most skillful right sided attack in the league and, if you manage to keep them quiet, you've got Robertson and Sane running riot down their left.

They are a ****ing good team who play ****ing good football and it would have been a stretch to come away with a point. Their only real weaknesses are their keepers: they're both crap but, when your worst outfield player is James Milner, you're going to turn most teams over and particularly one with as many cripples and geriatrics in it as ours.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Clucking Bell wrote:If it wasn't for some very laissez faire defending, Liverpool would be a serious challenge to Man City at the top of the table.

Salah, Chamberpot and Trent whatsiface have got to be the fastest, most skillful right sided attack in the league and, if you manage to keep them quiet, you've got Robertson and Sane running riot down their left.

They are a ****ing good team who play ****ing good football and it would have been a stretch to come away with a point. Their only real weaknesses are their keepers: they're both crap but, when your worst outfield player is James Milner, you're going to turn most teams over and particularly one with as many cripples and geriatrics in it as ours.
Is the correct answer.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Irrons wrote:Robertson has absolutely murdered us today. Might as well have been playing a wide striker the amount of space he's had
We wouldn’t spend £2m on him when he was at Dundee Utd. We then wouldn’t spend £8m on him when Hull wanted that. We gave them £10m from Snodgrass though...

An expected result and most likely expected performance.

All about just getting over the line, and the fact the owners have got another sneaky £5m in their pocket from selling Fonte.

I’m beginning to not care...
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 461 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Stringey wrote: Can't agree with this, Moyes has turned a shower of a squad around since Slav departed and fully deserves a new contract on what he's achieved so far. Today was woeful, granted, but I've witnessed far too many displays at Liverpool over the last 40 years to know any different. Yes Slav won at Anfield, but let's face it he also got stuffed at home to them and just about everyone else, over the last 2 seasons.
If we get rid of Moyes who do we bring in?
Like some others have said though, I didn't really expect anything different today with this squad.
Moyes isn't a next level manager, he isn't even a half decent premier league manager. He is a cheap manager which is why we have him. Is he doing a job? I guess he is performing to almost a normal standard, his tactics are dinosaur, very Allardycesque. I thought we were going to lose today and 4-1 isn't surprising, Liverpool are a good side. But do I want Moyes here next season? f*** no. Moyes is a negative manager and if we are to move forward at all he is not the right guy. Our performances against the teams around us is scary under Moyes and in most of those games we had less chances and less of the ball. Accepting Moyes is accepting that we won't finish above 10th and we won't have a go at any cup ever. And to have Moyes here with the only reason being 'who else could we bring in' is an awful motive for having a boring, backwards playing manager.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/West-Ham-Unite ... noapp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With two more eBay sales from the same seller for a free t shirt.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

sanchoz wrote:https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/West-Ham-Unite ... noapp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With two more eBay sales from the same seller for a free t shirt.
I saw a Liverpool steward take one and put it underneath his coat today.
mcan
Has liked: 199 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by mcan »

steps wrote:Didn’t watch, didn’t listen to the game.

Read this morning Moyes has got an appalling record at Anfield.

Powder puff effort by all accounts.

Expect more of the same next season.
Did you also read that we have an appalling record at Anffield too? Shocking, I know.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

On the plus side we got back by 9.15, and that's the only real positive of the day.

We weren't thrashed. but there only ever looked like one winner , their pace , movement and good passing at the crucial moments being the difference .A couple of mad moments by us didn't help.

Conceding soft goals is a habit we can't shake and being a point behind Brighton , level with Huddersfield and a point ahead of Newcastle - the three promoted clubs is not really the kind of progress many might have expected.

Having said that I've seen us play worse and win, but Liverpool were far too good for us today .The defeat leaves us three points outside the drop zone, but with huge prize money at stake we face the real prospect of having a budget next season even lower than this one.

To illustrate what that means , we may not be able to afford a Jordan Hughill next season: finish six places lower , and that's the implication.

We're on the road to nowhere.