Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by ammo »

Straight back down to earth.

Came for the t shirts, we only came for the t shirts.

We were poor today, all over. Very bad day at the office. Expected a bit more tbh, don’t think they broke into much of a sweat.
No one much kop today, Mário not at his best, Cresswell gave a goal away with a terrible aimless pass into the middle. Arnie on his own.
I like Moyes but please 100% better next week. COYI
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Liverpool fans still defending Suarez after what he did to Evra. Clowns.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Have we signed any defenders for more than we signed Fonte? Ogbonna possibly, anyone else?

So we have just sold our second most expensive defender ever (if I got that right). Didn't work out for him and with injuries it is hard to imagine that we will notice he has gone. But that shows how woefully under-invested our defence is.

When you come up against an attack like Liverpool's, who can cause problems for any team in the league, our defence needs to be on top form. It wasn't and the result is no surprise.

Other results don't look too bad today, so need to pick ourselves up quickly and get ready for the next game.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Iron Mark wrote:Other results don't look too bad today, so need to pick ourselves up quickly and get ready for the next game.
We were lucky Bournemouth got that last minute equaliser, shame about the Southampton one though
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Colours never run wrote:Dropping 1 of our most in form players and only giving Hernandez a little token run out once the games long gone! :lol:
In hindsight sure Mario should have probably started on the bench but I can see why he didnt
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

I may be old fashioned but why change a winning team, especially if Evra is one of the players coming in? I'm afraid I also struggle to see Lanzini and Mario in the same team. Too lightweight and likely to get overrun
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

kevino wrote:I may be old fashioned but why change a winning team, especially if Evra is one of the players coming in? I'm afraid I also struggle to see Lanzini and Mario in the same team. Too lightweight and likely to get overrun
Lanzini and Arnie are our best players. If they're available they play. Simple as that really
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yea Why Not wrote:In hindsight sure Mario should have probably started on the bench but I can see why he didnt
That game required us to be a more determined.

Mario+Lanzini was obviously a bit lightweight.

The fact we brought on Antonio and were straight in behind their AWOL full backs to score just highlighted what we should have done from the outset.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I didn’t expect anything less. Anyone watching the way the respective sides have been performing couldn’t really have called it any other way.

Say what you like about Slav he never lost at Anfield.

We reverted to type. Went for damage limitation, came away with a shoeing and let’s be fair it could and should have been far worse.

We go again
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

bubbles1966 wrote: That game required us to be a more determined.

Mario+Lanzini was obviously a bit lightweight.

The fact we brought on Antonio and were straight in behind their AWOL full backs to score just highlighted what we should have done from the outset.
A midfield 2 of Noble and Kouyate should have provided some steel surely. Esspecially with 5 out and out defenders behind them. You're right in hindsight it didnt work but id like to see Mario and Lanzini given another chance together next week personally. If Antonio had a bit more upstairs im sure he would have started today in place of Evra but based on previous I can see why he didnt
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yea Why Not wrote:A midfield 2 of Noble and Kouyate should have provided some steel surely. Esspecially with 5 out and out defenders behind them.
It's more case of not getting at them rather than our defending.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Evra was pointless.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Hernandez and Arnoutovic are the only players in our team who score semi regularly
Dropping one of them was an awful decision

Moyes is lucky he has Arnoutivic as his tactics in most games seem to be try and shut up shop and let him do something at the other end
aitchayell

Post by aitchayell »

Baffling team selection
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

bubbles1966 wrote: It's more case of not getting at them rather than our defending.
Ive seen much worse at Anfield personally. First half when the game was alive their keeper made 2 top saves from Arnie and Zabaleta had a chance he should have done much better with. Give me todays showing over a typical 2-0 Allardyce loss with no intention any day

End of the day Liverpool these days are a top team. Billic did well against the club but he faced nothing anywhere near as good as that an Anfield. Quite how theyre below man utd in the league I dont know iffy defence or not that attack is lethal
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

The team selection was largely understandable, imo.

The only questions he had was whether he brought in Reid or Evra because there was no way Antonio would do the defensive side of the game at wing back, and who the 'third man' is with Arnautovic and Lanzini (he has this question most weeks).

The goals conceded were a poor set play with Adrian being weak, then a couple of poor turnovers from Cresswell and Mario.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yea Why Not wrote: Ive seen much worse at Anfield personally. First half when the game was alive their keeper made 2 top saves from Arnie and Zabaleta had a chance he should have done much better with. Give me todays showing over a typical 2-0 Allardyce loss with no intention any day
I agree on that. I just think that Liverpool are a bang average team at the back and being a little bit quicker and more forceful might have done the trick. They looked well iffy at times and they concede a lot of goals for a team that enjoys so much possession.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I had been getting behind Noble lately as he seemed to have improved, Today he proved me right , he really doesn't warrant his place as a starter.

Slowing the game down . giving the ball away , and very lucky to not have been red carded for a first half tackle ( studs up ) on Milner.

Thank you for you loyalty Mr Noble but enough is enough,
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Commentary game on 5 live. Sounded like one way traffic. Disappointed and slightly surprised at proceedings but in the end it sounded like even at 4 we got away with it somewhat.

Next 3 need winning.
simon1982

Post by simon1982 »

Listened on the radio. Funnily enough we sounded ok. They just stuck 5 past Porto. We’re old and slow at the back. Zab & Evra wing backs is never going to work at anfield.
Onto Swansea as anything today would have been a bonus