Liverpool 4-1 West Ham Utd (24/02/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hamburger »

We had 5 players starting that are over 30 and 4 players 28 & 29 with only Lanzini & Mario under that. Next season our current squad will have 10 players over 30, that’s 40%. By contrast Liverpool had 1 player over 30 (Milner), 1 at 28 and the rest younger.

Moyes did inherit a lot and in fairness he is generally looking at younger players but Sullivan’s transfer policy of signing ‘seasoned internationals’ (on ridiculous wages) as he called them has come to a crunch. Next year we will need to replace no less than 4 players who will be no longer capable of starting and probably not even squad level. We also have 5 players that will be 30 next year and only Lanzini, Mario, Arthur & Byram younger before the teenagers. In reality we probably need at least 6 new players this summer just to cover the ‘old school’. Hopefully some of the dev squad will make the grade as we certainly can’t afford to buy them all.

Sullivan really has decimated this club not just with the stadium & lies but the team potential as well. It will take years to build anything like a competitive team.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Liverpool have a team of £35m players against a West Ham side made up of freebies and one record breaking player costing £20m - Klopp had spent the Summer collecting fast paced ball playing footballers while our Director of Football set about decorating his son's flat with bejewelled panthers - let's face it there was always going to be just one result yesterday .

The positives -

Arnautovic and Antonio's goal and Zabaleta doesn't stop running and never gives up .

p.s. Couldn't blame Adrian for any of their goals yesterday - he was blocked for the first and the rest were down to Mario and clever play by Liverpool .

Onwards and Upwards .
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Liverpool have a team of £35m players against a West Ham side made up of freebies and one record breaking player costing £20m - Klopp had spent the Summer collecting fast paced ball playing footballers while our Director of Football set about decorating his son's flat with bejewelled panthers - let's face it there was always going to be just one result yesterday .

The positives -

Arnautovic and Antonio's goal and Zabaleta doesn't stop running and never gives up .

p.s. Couldn't blame Adrian for any of their goals yesterday - he was blocked for the first and the rest were down to Mario and clever play by Liverpool .

Onwards and Upwards .
Good post. :thup:
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

ereford ammer wrote:Good post.
Seconded. Spot on TOMOS.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Does anybody know somebody at the club I could contact about the t-shirts yesterday? I’m an AST holder but couldn’t make it yesterday. My uncle went though and then went to my seat to get my tshirt for me (I hadn’t passed the ticket on so my seat was empty) but the tshirt was gone. I can’t say I’d expect the club to have a replacement one but it can’t help to ask. Bloody annoying the one game I miss they give away something!
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

bristolhammerfc wrote:This was probably the single most predictable result of the Premiership.

We are a side built to battle for pickings amongst the bottom 12 teams. We are no where near a side that can be positive against the top sides and at best we look to nick a result where we can.

You can't compete with a side that contains the average Adrian, a painfully slow and regularly exposed Zabaleta, Collins and Evra.
If you had added a slow and flat footed midfield it would have been a perfect post.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought we played alright in the first half and were unlucky to be down 1-0 as Milner fouled Adrian for the goal. Second half we were exposed having to chase the game. Ogbonna, Mario, Creswell and Kouyate all made sloppy passes gifting possession to Liverpool resulting in gilt edged chances two of which were goals.
A couple of things are abundantly clear. 1) Liverpool are as mobile and lethal going forward as City and are truly world class offensively. 2 having Evra, Zabaleta, Collins, Noble, and Kouyate defending against a team with that kind of pace and mobility is a complete joke. The first 4 are far too slow and Kouyate couldn’t track a runner if he was tied to him with a string.
It is an absolute no brainer why we are after Ryan Fredricks, and were after Mawson. hopefully if we stay up we can win the Jonny Evans sweepstakes as he apparently has a 3m release clause on relegation. . Also if Swansea go down grab Mawson. I know these owners have s massive opposition to spending money on defenders, but 25million or so on Fredricks, Evans and Mawson would at least allow us to have some ability to deal with the pace and mobility we faced today. It would also drop the average age of our defence by 6 years.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Kialos wrote:Poor show from Moyes today. We had a spell of momentum when we scored and that was the time to throw Hernandez not 10 minutes from the end of a by then dead game He is far too slow to react to what is happening out on the pitch.
We all said exactly the same thing, we looked decent after scoring and he bottled it, bizare management if you ask me.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Only got home a few hours ago - nearly always try to make weekenders of these trips up north. Liverpool is a fantastic city with fantastic people and I've enjoyed every trip, apart from most of the football.

From the women still handing out anti Sun leaflets, to the landlord in the Arkles giving us all a big proper welcome, to the genuine stewards, the statues, the gates, the fan park and a sense of identity. I'm envious of this lot. When their tourists go home, there's still a real living place.

I make that 3 points I've brought home from Anfield since 1982. Most have been one sided affairs, but this felt like another game half forfeited for the sake of expediency. Moyes' personal record at Anfield is almost as bad as mine and he's gone there with a lot better teams than I have. Trips to Shrewsbury, Wigan and Arsenal have already been erased from memory and I'll forget this one by tomorrow.

It's unfair to blame Moyes for the poor tools and dreadful defence he inherited and he's done a fine job getting the most out of them. But any medicine tastes like **** and when I saw Evra in front of Cresswell, Mario and Lanzini in the same position and Arnie up front on his tod looking for Hernandez, then I began to see ghosts of Sam past.

Anyway onto another must not lose game at Swansea. One day we might get some swagger in our game outside of Arnie and a fit Manu and be able to give Liverpool a game at their place. We've gone so far back from just 3 years ago!
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

claretchris wrote:When you consider where we were compared to Liverpool in 2016 to where we are now, it's poles apart and only further highlights the gross under investment in the squad. GSB got 'lucky' with Payet and then rested on their laurels whilst giving it the big un re next level etc - quite depressing really...
The deterioration in 2 years is stark almost unbelievable indeed, and that stat about the age of the players and particularly the defence would be funny if it were not so damning of the owners and their double dealing machinations. Ginge is an inspiration but seriously in what dimension should he start in a game against a team like Liverpool which hardly reflects well on Moyes but even less on the depth of the squad.

It's getting to the point that delusion is barely adequate to describe the vipers running the club it's getting into the realms of a deliberate assassination of the club. Even more difficult to comprehend is the tame following of those in the media and in particular those who call themselves 'fans' who should surely be far more questioning and vocally critical of our owners keystone cops style of policing the club's legacy.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Kialos wrote:Poor show from Moyes today. We had a spell of momentum when we scored and that was the time to throw Hernandez not 10 minutes from the end of a by then dead game He is far too slow to react to what is happening out on the pitch.

And not for the first time either.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Hamburger wrote:.
We had 5 players starting that are over 30 and 4 players 28 & 29 with only Lanzini & Mario under that. Next season our current squad will have 10 players over 30, that’s 40%. By contrast Liverpool had 1 player over 30 (Milner), 1 at 28 and the rest younger.

Moyes did inherit a lot and in fairness he is generally looking at younger players but Sullivan’s transfer policy of signing ‘seasoned internationals’ (on ridiculous wages) as he called them has come to a crunch. Next year we will need to replace no less than 4 players who will be no longer capable of starting and probably not even squad level. We also have 5 players that will be 30 next year and only Lanzini, Mario, Arthur & Byram younger before the teenagers. In reality we probably need at least 6 new players this summer just to cover the ‘old school’. Hopefully some of the dev squad will make the grade as we certainly can’t afford to buy them all.

Sullivan really has decimated this club not just with the stadium & lies but the team potential as well. It will take years to build anything like a competitive team.
Unfortunately this is the reality we are faced with. We were told they were buying for now... If this is the now they envisaged...

Dropping a league could help us enormously. Most of the old players would have release/reduction clauses that would have them scrambling for the door and a renewed paycheque. A couple of years knocking around in the championship with the right manager would allow us to rebuild the core unit of the team in a younger more flexible image.
Patito

Post by Patito »

It would also straddle us with crippling debt. I think we’d struggle to ever get out of that division if we went down.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

61dicksey wrote:
Wtf was the point in Evra ? Still never get it.

Because he "loves this game". I wish he loved defending.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Patito wrote:It would also straddle us with crippling debt. I think we’d struggle to ever get out of that division if we went down.
I don't know. Debt was 100m when the owners took over. Was 100m when we came back up. Still 100m now. Being in this league isn't doing us many favours and we sure as hell aren't spending it all on players...

I think it would take at least 2 years, kind of a Pardew job. Granted if we slipped into the inertia of a third year there would be problems, especially with that giant concrete bowl hanging from our necks like an albatross.
Patito

Post by Patito »

It just seems to get harder and harder that league. You’ve got teams like Wolves and Boro who are spending £15million plus on players which was unheard of before. The debt is a similar level to before but we seem to have a cash flow problem.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Patito wrote: we seem to have a cash flow problem.
There's no cash flow problem, the cash is flowing straight into gold and sullivans back pockets without any problems whatsoever
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

We were simply ripped apart in the second half by a team on form with immense quality.

Their first goal was both soft and very fortunate. There was definitely a foul on Adrian... but those decision's don't always go for you (especially away from home against the big clubs).

We could have closed up shop in the second and resigned ourselves to a 1 or 2 nil defeat but part of me is glad we went for it a bit. It could have been 5 or 6... but by the same token on another day we might have scored 2 or 3.

Not reading too much into a loss like this... it's not these games that are going to keep us up. Swansea on the other hand...
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Regarding the free t-shirts.

I arrived right at kick off and when I got to my seat there was no t-shirt in sight.

At half time, I walked down to the front and found a steward and asked him if he could find a West Ham steward/official to see if there were any more spares. He found the right person who had a carrier bag of spares (this guy was sitting in the disabled seating area) so I managed to get one.

I spoke to a few other boys around me in the 2nd half and they said their shirts had been taken too.

Really bad darts imo.

Anyway, apart from the football I had a good day out as usual at Anfield.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

WHen I saw that Collins was in the team I knew we woudl struggle. We can't handle pace at the best of times.