West Ham Utd 0-3 Burnley: match thread (10/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by TheHandOfDog »

ballantine wrote:I never read C&H, but had to look at that one. Glad I did! That was hilarious! I had to repeatedly cover my eyes with a pillow, but the laughs was worth it! :lol:
I had never read any of his crap and that letter was my first. It will also be the last time I read any of that shiit. :thdn:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Pob! wrote:Fair play to Frank Lampard thought he would be a lot more damming of our support.
West Ham is in his blood. He achieved everything at Chelsea but I’d bet he’d swap it in a heartbeat for it to have been with us.
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by chuffster »

Hamburger wrote:.

By the way, has anyone read this cringeworthy crap -

http://www.claretandhugh.info/an-open-l ... -sullivan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gave up after the first line :lol:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

On the actual match itself, why does Moyes keep getting excused? F*cked up at Liverpool, got us nothing at Swansea and yesterday we were crying out for a striker on the pitch and he didn't change it until we were 2-0 down.

Terribly negative manager.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

On the actual match; FLJ hit the nail on the head with lack of support for Arnie. Other than that the first half was decent, I couldn't believe some people booed at half-time. We'd had chances and Burnley hadn't mustered a shot on target. Obviously Moyes hadn't watched Everton v Burnley last week because they used the same tactics, bringing on a second striker after an hour and pushing forward. Their second goal on reviewing on tv looks like a mishit shot turning into a superb pass and the third goal was a joke by a keeper who shouldn't have been playing. Fortunately I had left before the 3rd goal because I had to be somewhere, but I would have left anyway as I was disgusted by the idiotic invasions which some people seemed to approve of. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, and brawling supporters and out of control protests are not a price worth paying to try and force out the current owners. The march would have been a sensible, forceful way to protest, but yesterday made me ashamed to be a West Ham fan for the first time in 50 years. Follow Sir Trevs advice, if you feel that strongly don't go. A boycott would show your feelings better
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Genuine puzzler for me.
Burnley looked crap until they brought on the second striker, at which point they began to dominate the game. So why didn't Dyche start like that against us?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Burnley were the better side for the entire second half, even before they brought another striker.
They didn't create many chances first half but if you look back they did attack with numbers. Often had full backs pushed forward and four men in our box.
Trouble is when we win the ball, not a single player bothers to sprint forward to join the support. Kouyate and Noble barely cross the half way line
We made a couple of chances and one clear cut when lanzini shoukd s ore after a basic header over the top. Did we actually play any decebt football? It was mainly hoof up to Antonio and hope he or arputovic coukd bulldoze through
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We ran out of puff at the hour mark - Moyes probably should have changed it with a couple of subs, one at HT and one at 60 minutes.

Mario and Lanzini were largely peripheral and ineffective, Noble and Kouyate offered nothing much.

Antonio was murdering their right back but Arnie needed a partner.

At about the hour our midfield just vanished as a defensive entity, and we spent the whole game playing down the left.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

uptonparkhurst wrote:Genuine puzzler for me.
Burnley looked crap until they brought on the second striker, at which point they began to dominate the game. So why didn't Dyche start like that against us?
Maybe he waits till the opponents are more tired to introduce fresh legs. Or perhaps dyke could just see we were vulnerable
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I get the "we run out of steam after an hour" argument.
I also get the idea that Burnley played a conservative game to begin with - saving themselves, maybe or
countering our pressing (which of course we can never maintain). Even so, those tactics could have backfired
if Arnie's chance and Lanzini's had gone in.
But as soon as Wood came on we had no answer to 4-4-2. (iirc correctly Wood was supposed to be
one of the strikers that we looked at when he was at Leeds but he wasn't deemed good enough at the time..)
vind

Post by vind »

Even by Hugh's standards that is one joke of an article.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

uptonparkhurst wrote:I get the "we run out of steam after an hour" argument.
I also get the idea that Burnley played a conservative game to begin with - saving themselves, maybe or
countering our pressing (which of course we can never maintain). Even so, those tactics could have backfired
if Arnie's chance and Lanzini's had gone in.
But as soon as Wood came on we had no answer to 4-4-2. (iirc correctly Wood was supposed to be
one of the strikers that we looked at when he was at Leeds but he wasn't deemed good enough at the time..)
They played some nice stuff in that last half hour, tbf - but Wood walked onto the pitch and stood next to our "CB" Cresswell.

It's just utterly gormless how obvious this tactic is and we do nothing about it. Every week another lump does it. Glenn Murray did it. Joselu did it.

If we played us - we'd put Carroll or Arnie on him - or knowing us, we wouldn't. Image
scottyboy71
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by scottyboy71 »

[/quote]
'avin a rah' Oh dear, sit down and have a prawn cocktail darling ... :D[/quote]

I shouted “Referee!” In an admittedly loud and indignant voice when Lanzini was chopped down and the women next to me; I swear to God, nudged me and said “shush”
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Watched it twice through on motd now...the chances were the other end to me in the first half and were decent chances..shame we didn't take them....the commentator also made a comment on the atmosphere being good first half which I said how I remembered it...seemed mostly loud and backing the team from my (standing) position in the bml. Second half was changed by Woods being brought on. They threw the dice before us and it paid off. Also think the first half was a blatant penalty (again, hard to see from my vantage point). I only thought joe hart was to blame for the third and it was moot point by then.

It was really good to stand up at a football match again. I didn't think the view was that bad at all, it looks further from the pitch then it is from the West upper. I'd hate to be up in the upper tiers behind the goals though.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Great goal by their striker. Lovely finish to be fair. I thought they looked solid and organised. On the commentary I heard Gale was banging on about how they always introduce the second striker midway through the second half. It worked a treat for them.

After the first bloke ran on the pitch they took full advantage. Our players weren't focussed but credit to Burnley they were professional and finished us off.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I really hate Burnley. Dyche really because it would have been his orders. But slowing the game down that much, ****ing injuries, making the game stop start. Like cricket with overs per hour, teams should be punished if there's an average of 10 seconds or more between combined throw ins, corners, free kicks and goal kicks.

Leicester did it to us when we looked like we might beat them at home. I hate it.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

kayahammer wrote:I really hate Burnley. Dyche really because it would have been his orders. But slowing the game down that much, ****ing injuries, making the game stop start. Like cricket with overs per hour, teams should be punished if there's an average of 10 seconds or more between combined throw ins, corners, free kicks and goal kicks.

Leicester did it to us when we looked like we might beat them at home. I hate it.
we've been battered , and i mean battered in 4 of our last 5 games, slowing the game down is the last of our problems
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Burnley do what they did very well. They were ultra defensive in the first half, my mate pointing out that at our corners they actually had all 11 players in the penalty area. It's a very Italian style tactic suck the opposition in for an hour so that their entire focus becomes trying to break down the dogged defence then change to a 442 and catch the opposition before they have chance to switch back on mentally. The system falls down if the opposition manage to score in the early stages. It's what Conte was trying to do against city last week, but his superstar players couldn't be arsed to implement his tactics and looked like a bunch of amateurs instead. You could have put claret and blue shirts on them for that game.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Well, I had a decent first time out going corporate, despite the result.

We arrived early, catching the arrival of what I assume was "The March", which seemed like 100 people walking along the canal ****ed by a few police vans.

Good experience in the Great Briton lounge. It felt weird having a sit down dinner with waitress service at the football for those of us used to a couple of pints of watery piss in the Queens followed by a rat burger in Green Street, but it was good all the same. Worth a go if you ever get the chance, especially for being able to get an easy pint at half time, and being allowed to stay for a couple after the game. Grub was top notch too. :thup:

As to the football on the pitch, well we dominated first half and played some nice stuff at times but didn't take our chances. Most frustrating was seeing Antonio out on the left wing where he was wasted. Countless times he roasted their right back, but having no left foot to speak of he lacked the final ball. It was like having Masuaku back early.

I don't understand why Cresswell was not out there, with Antonio right wing back and Zabaleta at the back? Or even play Rice?

Their first goal was deja vu all over again. Long ball over the top, our midfield jogging back whilst their man ran the whole length of our half unopposed to arrive at our box with a free shot.

The next two were a result of the players distraction most likely, but it should be said that their goal disallowed for offside when it was 0-0 look onside on the replay.

The reality for us hasn't changed from when Slaven was here - we're good going forwards, but we're **** at the back and slow in midfield. We can't handle counter attacks or teams playing at pace.