West Ham Utd 0-3 Burnley: match thread (10/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

Haggy wrote:We have been up and down all season. Yesterday was V poor, but we have been that bad before (Everton & Brighton away) and bounced back at home the following week. So, I am hopeful that they players will respond positively after a week of being drilled by Moyes, Pearce etc. Also hoping that Ogbonna will have recovered and that Ginge's hamstring will allow him to play. My team:

Adrian

Zabletta Rice/Ginge Obgonna Cresswell

Noble Kouyate

Antonio Lanzini Arnautovic

Hernandez
The sad truth is, that is probably what he will go with and that team will probably lose
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Another 'must not lose'!

:lol:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Time to change it up
Burnley have nothing to play for and have a poor recent away record so can't be any excuses such as opponents were battling for their lives or are on a great run of form.
If we can't win this game then we may as well give up and go home

We can't defend so let's attack. At least go down tryingg to win a game of football for once

Adrian/ Hart - don't really care

Zabaleta
Ogbonna (if fit)
Kouyate
Cresswell

Rice
Noble

Lanzini
Antonio
Arnie

Hernandez
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

I agree CH. We will ship goals regardless so may as well have a go. Won’t happen though.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

MB wrote:I agree CH. We will ship goals regardless so may as well have a go. Won’t happen though.
Burnley don't score many. So I can't see them getting more than one. But we are so awful at the moment. As I said earlier I reckon a dull, boring, uninspiring 0-0. Which is not going to help us much.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Time to change it up
Burnley have nothing to play for and have a poor recent away record so can't be any excuses such as opponents were battling for their lives or are on a great run of form.
If we can't win this game then we may as well give up and go home

We can't defend so let's attack. At least go down tryingg to win a game of football for once

Adrian/ Hart - don't really care

Zabaleta
Ogbonna (if fit)
Kouyate
Cresswell

Rice
Noble

Lanzini
Antonio
Arnie

Hernandez
Most teams in the bottom half of the league would be happy with those four attacking players. But how many of the others would be starters even in those teams? Only Ogbonna perhaps. Therein lies the biggest problem imho. The defensive side of things has been badly neglected over the past few years and we are now seeing the results of that. Feel sorry for Moyes really because no-one can make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. In other words, whatever team he puts out next week will be very vulnerable defensively.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Time to change it up
they are playing for a spot in europe and their best league finish in nearly fifty years. positive pressure.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

4-1 Burnley, make it a hat trick of 4-1 defeats in a row.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Burnley are defensively well organised, and if our recent showings are anything to go by, they will outfight us. We rarely win games where we're outfought. We do well on the counter. We struggle to break teams down that have plenty behind the ball. Burnley will have plenty behind the ball, and they're quick to get back into position when they lose the ball. I'd be very tempted to play Hugill up front for this one. We may need his strength and aggression. I'd also be tempted to play 4-2-3-1 and play Cresswell and Zab as full backs. Pick the 2 centre backs best in the air as Burnleys main threat will come from high balls. Play Rice and Noble as the 2 defensive midfielders. 3 from Arnie, Lanzini, Mario, and Antonio as the attacking three.
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

Hernandez simply cannot start this one, unfortunately him and arnie just don’t go, if he plays arnie is pushed too far out wide and by far his best football this season has been up top with Lanzini playing just off of him, ring back Joao Mario for this one too! Hopefully ogbonna fit too.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Wouldn't be surprised if he brings back Joe Hart for this game.

Adrian didn't look too clever for the goal against Bournemouth, the Firmino goal last week where he rushed off his line and looked shaky yesterday.

Collins and Ogbonna being back are more integral to us than Reid's injury.

Arnautovic can win us this game himself if he's up for it and gets the service.

We can't afford to keep going a goal done though, need to score early for once.

2-1 to us. :crest:
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I was pleased we lost yesterday and I’m gonna be pleased when we lose Saturday. I embrace relegation and it’s the only thing that might provide a jump start to our club.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammers92 wrote:I was pleased we lost yesterday and I’m gonna be pleased when we lose Saturday. I embrace relegation and it’s the only thing that might provide a jump start to our club.
A rough idea of our team, if we went down:

Adrian - might look to leave, though
Zabaleta - one year left on the deal
Reid - 5 years left
Rice - unless he's got a decent agent
Cresswell
Kouyate
Noble
Fernandes - again, unless he's got a decent agent
Snodgrass - unless Villa put in a bid
Hugill, and
Some ridiculous punt from the Panama first division, on loan.

Or, alternatively, I reckon relegation would spell the end for Arnautovic, Hernandez, Lanzini, Obiang, Obonna and, of course, Hart.

Jump start? I doubt that, to be honest.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Don't like this 3/5 at the back, but I guess that's the blueprint we work with. I think this is the best 11 given who is available assuming Ogbonna is back....

-------------------------Adrian----------------------------------

--------Rice---------Ogbonna---------Cresswell----------

Byram---------Zab--------------JM----------------Antonio

----------------Lanzini----------Arnie--------------------------

--------------------------Chica-----------------------------------
blaze.s8n
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by blaze.s8n »

Is this our GSB traditional yearly ‘save our season’ game?
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

3-5-2 for me and a return to the Arnie and Antonio partnership up front, pace, power and guile plus Antonio is scoring again so his own confidence levels should be high! It's behind those two where the problems lie for me, Both Nobes and Cheik could have no complaints if they were dropped for Saturday, sluggish, no intensity, caught constantly too far up the pitch out of position! Sadly though due to our horrendous transfer activity we don't have anybody to replace them, would be tempted to play Mario ahead of Lanzini purely because for some reason it takes Lanzini an absolute age to get back into his stride after an injury ? He might offer more coming off the bench for now !
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

I find it amazing that Burnley are comfortable in 7th having scored just 24 goals, a dozen less than us, and only West Brom in 20th have scored less.

I also find it amazing that we have conceded 54, joint worst in the division.

Having said that they did not look good defensively in the first half yesterday, against a poor Everton team.

Our defensive fragility is music to ears of Dyche, Wood & Barnes who will relish a physical battle.
Whoever he picks, in hopefully a back four, will need to be not only up for the fight, but clever enough not to be intimidated.

But, as other have said, we must set up with an attacking line up. This must include Antonio who has scored twice in the last two games playing only about 80 minutes.

My main worry is that half of the team that Moyes will be relying on are either out of form or have over the course of the season, been responsible for our current precarious position.

We must forget about the Swansea game, as that just confirmed we won't make the top ten.
It is now all about survival and the best way to achieve that is go for wins.
I just hope our manager agrees with me.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

the pink palermo wrote:A likely defeat.

The players aren't happy, many don't want to be here anymore, we'll be lucky to avoid the drop.
I agree. And the easiest way for the likes of Lanzini, Antonio, Arnie, Hernandez to get out is for us to go down.

Seen it before with the "team that was too good to go down". Fire sale.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

1-0 Burnley, nailed on. Relegation zone by the end of the day.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I said before Swansea Adrian was on his last chance or me. And sadly once again he didn't have a great game. I don't buy that excuse we have treated both goalies appallingly. It's down to them both to deliver by getting the basics right, help the back-line out and to perform consistently well to give the fans and manager enough faith in them. They have both failed miserably. Adrian failed last season and has failed again this season. I would on keep him as a back-up and possibly if we are relegated. But I absolutely don't want him as our number 1 next season if a miracle happens and we stay up. Kouyate to be dropped too.

Hopefully Collins is fit for this one. As even know I want us to be set up with a more attacking intent, we equally need to select as much physical players as possible to match up with Burnley as well as we can.

I'd go with:

---------------------------------Hart---------------------------------

-Byram--------------Collins-----Ogbonna--------------Cresswell-

-------------Zabaleta-------Noble--------Rice------------------------

-Arnautovic----------------Hugill-------------------------Antonio-

Subs: Adrian, Kouyate, Evra, Cullen, Mario, Lanzini and Chicharito.

Byram and Cresswell to bomb forward and Zaba and Rice to sit deep to protect the 2 centre halves and hopefully battle in midfield. Noble to be the one to have more of a license. I would take a gamble and give Hugill a chance to hopefully physically give them something to think about. Armie and Antonio to support him and hopefully chase any flick-ons. Try to keep it tight and then if we struggle to break them down, or are God forbid losing, or even drawing, take one of the central midfielders of for Lanzini.