West Ham Utd 3-0 Southampton (31/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton Match Thread

Post by goa127 »

Really gutted I was away and missed this one. Masuaku is crucial to Moyes' favoured system. His direct running pulls defenders to him giving our midfielders extra space. Even though his crossing is unpredictable he keeps the ball in the danger area.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Southampton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132339
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

ereford ammer wrote:
Yes when he is manager of Scunthorpe
Excellent, put the **** back in Scunthorpe.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Southampton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132339

There's some real misery and pain in there..

:)
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Had to smile at this one: ""Relegation six pointer. New manager effect. Playing at a club in crisis. Leading scorer back from injury. Only one way that's going to go."

That's normally The West Ham Way in a nutshell
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

sgb1972 wrote:Great effort and work rate, all three goals started with us winning the ball through pressure and desire to gain possession.

Notable performances:

Mario - best performance so far by miles, superb cross for the second, brilliant strike for his goal, perhaps better centrally with Lanzini absent?
Rice - cruised through the game like a young Rio, tracked runners, composed in possession
Kouyate - work rate and effort in first half major factor
Fernandes - looked really confident, important he played that well considered he came on so early
Ogbonna - great in the air, seemed to be in the right place when required, back to his classy best
Arthur - been sorely missed, constant danger going forward, what a cross to Arnie
Arnie - great finish for the third, seems unplayable at times, don’t remember him being this good at Stoke!
Noble - proper captains performance
One of the best summaries I’ve seen this season.
Keep up the good work
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Well I could not be more wrong Saturday. I honestly thought we would lose and it would be Burnley mrk 2 but what a result!

Right from the off the fans were brilliant, singing and stomping. I think our first goal was crucial on how the day panned out. If Southampton had scored I think it would have been very different. As it was the first half was really good, shame about Antonio. Second half we sat back.

I am glad to eat a massive piece of humble pie, Kouyate had a really good game. I thought Rice was brilliant and made a good partnership with Ogbonna. I am still concerned how easy it was for a poor Southampton team to bypass our midfield and get to our defence, fair enough they didn't do anything with it but any other team could have had a couple of decent chances. Can't really blame the defence. Arthur, Arnie and Mario seemed to link up really well, with Cresswell supporting. Would be lovely to have Lanzini involved there.

That said, how poor was Southampton! They could not string two passes together. If I was a saints fan I would be very worried. Mark Hughes had enough time over the international break to get his ideas across and weigh up the team and they looked shattered in confidence. No one really wanted the ball especially in the first half.

Early I know but who would have thought of West Brom, Stoke and Southampton going down.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The main difference between the two sides on Saturday was when one of them lost possession it didn't have too many players the wrong side of the ball whilst the other team did.

We played with more positional discipline right from the start. Basic tactical awareness, and on Saturday, for once, we got it right.

I cannot emphasise how much difference a good proper DM would make to our team.
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

Charlie Austin who?

barely got anytime on the ball
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

dodger wrote:Will people now stop saying Masuaku can’t cross?

The lad is mustard. Not the finished article, but easily the best full back/wing back we have.
To be fair putting one cross on the money don't mean that he can, i have seen Mark Noble deliver a corner into the box once but it don't mean he is good at set pieces.

I do kind of like him but i find it hard to put my finger on his real qualities. He is a great dribbler but defensively questionable and on the attack his end product is questionable. If going forward he starts delivering more quality into the box i will gladly eat my words but we haven't seen that at all in his time at West Ham in my opinion.

I am stuck between whether he should be a wing back, or more advanced...almost like Faubert where he has qualities for two positions but not enough attributes to make either position his own.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

the pink palermo wrote:I cannot emphasise how much difference a good proper DM would make to our team.
One of the biggest issues we have in my opinion (the other being injury prevention).

Plucking the next Kante from Ligue 1 would be huge for us whoever the manager is next summer. It would straight away mean a combination him + any 2 of the central midfielders already at the club providing a serviceable Premier League midfield - by that I mean one that can spend the season looking at the results of the teams ahead of them rather than beneath them.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i put "plucking the next kante from france" up there with sullivan's "i want the next dele alli from league one".

there isn't a club in the league who wouldn't do it given half a chance, and most of them have far bigger pockets and better scouting networks than us.

a very good player for a reasonable fee is the best we can hope for and that was carvalho last summer. a story that's already slipping into the annals of history.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

A very important 3 points against woeful opposition.

The 3-2 loss at their place at the start of the season, raised more questions about them than us … in my humble opinion.

As good as the victory was, the cracks shouldn’t be papered over. The squad is still limited, old and not very good. At some point, Arnie and Lanzini will be off.

It was a must win game, as Stoke will be. Not completely clear of danger but we’ll have enough to limp across the line. Easy to get lulled into a false sense of security, Southampton were abject, completely dross. It’s not often this squad dominates a team from the first to the last kick … which is what we handsomely did on Saturday.

Rice continues to impress and for the life of me I can’t understand why he hasn’t played more under Moyes.

Antonio has said goodbye to the slim world cup chance he was obviously harbouring.

I’ve grown bored of the media and clubs war cry’s for the fans to get behind the team, as far I’m aware we’ve stayed with them all season. The angst has been directed at the board. The players delivered on Saturday but I find it self-indulgent for them to continually ask for our help when they largely give f*** all back in the other direction.