Chelsea 1-1 West Ham Utd (08/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: Chelsea v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Mega Ron »

Harry Hound wrote: It was a penalty
I thought so too. Arnie just changed the direction of the ball before Kante's boot arrived
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

It was a penalty but I can see why the ref didn't give it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Coops wrote:It was a penalty but I can see why the ref didn't give it.
:thup:

From the complete opposite view the ref had and slowed down a little you can see that Kante makes contact with Arnie's leg as Arnie reaches the ball first. If that decision somehow gets referred to VAR it's a penalty.

Sky showed the replay pretty much from the refs point of view and it looks like a fantastic tackle.

Annoying but you can't really have any complaints there unless you're some sort of militant that thinks there should be a 4th official checking every decision.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Samba wrote:Blimey, that penalty shout. I thought that Kante, the little b*s*ard, had made a great tackle. On slow reply, he didn't actually touch the ball, but I can see why the ref didn't give it, sadly. Only var could have given that. Possibly.
I disagree - even if Kante had touched the ball he also took the man - it's still a penalty. There's no way Kante could make the tackle from that angle without getting tripping the attacker too.
The ref should have given it. If it turned out Arnie had dived he would have got a three match ban.

Actually, recalling the Lanzini debacle, it's probably just as well that a penalty wasn't awarded else we would probably lose Arnie to such a ban.Defender dives in with a desparate lunge, from the wrong side, doesn't get the ball, gets the man... very familiar.

Here's a question, if Arnautovic had turned his ankle under that challenge and not got the penalty would he be wiser to pull his foot out in future poor challenges (as Lanzini did?)?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

All in all, a good away day out

Rice doesn't look like a 19 year old, he has a bright future and will be captain if he stays with us. Loved that he was enjoying the away support every time he came up for a corner.

Thought we lost the midfield battle in the first half mainly due to Mario and Fernandes. They lost the ball too often and didnt offer any options when we won the ball in our own half. Though Chica's ability to hold on to it and link up with Arnie/ Nobes and Cheik was what brought us back into the game.

Hart had his best game for us, he looked very solid.

From where I was the Kante challenge didn't look like a penalty, haven't seen a replay though.

Chuffed with the point, think that should be enough to keep us up
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Coops wrote:It was a penalty but I can see why the ref didn't give it.
No way could he give it. I don't feel aggrieved at all.

To be honest VAR shouldn't be overturning that. It wasn't 'a clear and obvious error'. That was much like an 'umpires call' in cricket as far as I am concerned.
GaryP

Post by GaryP »

Monkeybubbles wrote:I'm gonna feel dirty for saying it, but I do quite like Willian. He seemed genuinely concerned about Cresswell's injury, even though it was a total accident.

I really like Willian, got a lot of unfair stick at Chelsea, but not only is he gifted he works his b*llocks off. I wish he was at West Ham,
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Can understand the ref not giving the penalty, although watching on tv I thought it was immeadiatly. I thought he had taken arnie's foot before the ball, but motd replay shows he didn't actually touch the ball at all and it was arnie's foot that moved the ball. Shame it wasn't given but even the eufa extra official behind the goal would have struggled to spot it. VAR probably would but you can stick that!
GaryP

Post by GaryP »

Upton Carp wrote:Can anyone post a link to the highlights, please
Full match

https://mega.nz/#!CqBEDY5b!tCJEl9UpXREO ... SKCn_RV-Eo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't open the rar file download this ...

https://www.7-zip.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Upton Carp wrote:...
PMed you.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Thought overall the Ref had a decent game. Noble could consider himself lucky he stayed on the pitch as his sliding tackle on about 75 mins (cant remember who it was against) looked a bit iffy and could've been shown a 2nd yellow.

Thought Ogbonna had another cracking game and Rice, Well.... lets just say wouldn't be bothered if Reid has to be a sub from now on.

Regarding Fernandez I honestly don't know if he is a good player or not. He confuses me.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Noble could consider himself lucky he stayed on the pitch as his sliding tackle on about 75 mins (cant remember who it was against) looked a bit iffy and could've been shown a 2nd yellow.
I think it was Fabregas, and it was probably why the ref didn't award us the penalty moments later - although there were quite a few of unpenalised, desperate and niggly challenges by both sides for the last 20 mins.
Ludo1973
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Ludo1973 »

Rumour on Twitter has it that Conte has left Chelsea.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

GaryP wrote:
To be honest VAR shouldn't be overturning that. It wasn't 'a clear and obvious error'. That was much like an 'umpires call' in cricket as far as I am concerned.
Interesting that Slav, a manager that had far too many decisions go against him should be in favour of VAR but not the stop, start VAR situation currently trialed.

I think yesterdays decision and the Bournemouth handball goal are the types of situation where video replays would be very helpful and no "interpretation" is necessary". Kante never touched the ball and took Arnie out, clear penalty.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Noble could consider himself lucky he stayed on the pitch as his sliding tackle on about 75 mins (cant remember who it was against) looked a bit iffy and could've been shown a 2nd yellow.

I think it was Fabregas, and it was probably why the ref didn't award us the penalty moments later - although there were quite a few of unpenalised, desperate and niggly challenges by both sides for the last 20 mins.
The commentary seemed to suggest the ref had seen it but had let the game play on. I was expecting the yellow/red card to come when the ball went out of play, but thankfully it didn't

I have not seen the incident again, so have no idea if Noble did 'get away with it', or not
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Ludo1973 wrote:Rumour on Twitter has it that Conte has left Chelsea.
:lol: Does he fancy a new job over at our place in the summer?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

"Surely Abramovich has Russian contacts that can make sure Cahill and Moses are never seen again?"

From the oppo view, made me :lol:
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Thank you for the links. :)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Chelsea
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132359
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

GaryP wrote:No way could he give it. I don't feel aggrieved at all.

i'm not too pissed off about the penalty, but if VAR should not overturn that, we might as well bin it. what more do you need? it is a clear and obvious error. one that it is easy to make, but a clear cut error nonetheless.