West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (16/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by Shy Ted »

When this thread started most on here were saying Stoke will be well up for it, and they were.
Who is happier tonight Stoke or West Ham.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thr ... ty?page=31

3 points would have been great, but a point is better than none.
:crest:
Last edited by Shy Ted on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Very relieved with a point in the end, really thought before the game we were going to lose that. Keeps stoke away from us which is more important than the point itself and affectively we now have 5 chances to win one game which all but guarantees we stay up,

Arsenal have nothing to play for nor do Man Utd or Citeh so I don’t expect us to lose all of those three. Everton and Leicester both winnable.

Look forward to another mediocre season next year!

COYI
Last edited by Simply Moore on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loon

Post by Loon »

A point should be enough now.

A scrappy game but we came through.I Couldn't understand why Carroll couldn't have been on earlier as Arnie up on his own wasn't working.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

This quote from David Moyes post match caught me eye

"It was the game when we needed Marko Arnautovic to make a difference with the ball, unfortunately he didn't get that opportunity"

This has pretty much been our tactic all season. Trouble is he can't turn it on every game. It is a very basic approach to football
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

JustJoe85 wrote:There was a couple of times the ball went up to Arnie and nobody else was within 50 yards...against Stoke.....at home.
This exactly and I'm just please he'd didn't get injured as he was running himself into the ground and that may also have contributed to Arnie dawdling to get back onside for Fernandez goal.

Moyes has proved in the last couple of games that he's got no balls or no guile when it matters. Keep him to the end of the season but we should replace him with someone like Benitez or even give Pearce and Kevin Nolan a go together???
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hernandez came on for Fernandes as some on here wished....Stoke scored a minute later.....
Hardly Hernandez fault that Hart decided to gift crouch a goal!
Grovellini1972

Post by Grovellini1972 »

Wrong line up why put the same out against Stoke as we did at Chelsea. For me that was the problem from the start then the mindset is wrong for the game.
At least Hernandez but should have started and Lanzinji too Game should of been won tonight.
Well done Carroll didn’t see it coming makes a long drive home slightly palatable
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Think its a bit harsh saying how negative we were, we had the ball in the net 4 times, we know there is plenty that needs to change but it was only appalling goalkeeping again that put us behind.
Carrolls goal was equivalent to getting the winner.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Will Moyes drop Hart, sadly I don’t think so!
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

The problem with Hart is he saved us at Chelsea making 2 absolute stunning fingertip saves but he fails in technique when balls bounce in front of him. He's a bottler whose now spilled 2 shots on the trot which have led to 2 goals, too highly strung to cope with pressure situations (ie. Gareth Southgate watching him!!). With regards today, our midfield gave too much space to the opposition to pick passes through us . Until we have a complete overhaul of that weak midfield we will always struggle. Fantastic finish by AC which might sneak us through but I'm not counting our chickens yet because a catastrophe is always around the corner with WHU.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I feel that would have been a robbery if stoke walked away with the win. We had most of the possession, a ton of free kicks, load of corners and 3 disallowed goals and then Paul lambert is asked... does he think stoke have been unlucky. :?
I thought in that 2nd half we were very dominant.
Last edited by Absolutely Hammered! on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatori

Post by hatori »

Massive goal from andy. What i dont get is we were set up to batter them but played one striker whos more a number 10... fullbacks pushed up high line and two deadly strikers on the bench.

This meant short corners, no one to hit on free kicks. No wonder they were happy to give away 6 free kicks in the final third in 10 mins.

Credit to stoke though i thought they defended really well. We absolutely eviscerated them in the second half without a real clear cut chance. (Disallowed goals were correct)

Hart is absolute pony. Can pull of worldies but shocking at the basics.

Punched my mate right down the pipe celebrating andys goal. I ****ing love the man when he fancies it
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Shy Ted wrote:When this thread started most on here were saying Stoke will be well up for it, and they were.
Who is happier tonight Stoke or West Ham.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thr ... ty?page=31

3 points would have been great, but a point is better than none.
:crest:
They sound like us when we are in despair. Then again I'm sure all forums are the same for all clubs in these situations
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Thought we played well and I enjoyed watching it. We were the better side and unlucky not to have 3 points. I personally don't think we were negative at all. Momentum shifts during a game, and when Stoke had it, it would have been stupid not to adopt a more defensive structure and pull players back. We definitely had our fair share of attacking play too.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

prophet:marginal wrote:It was, as ever, a testing long weekend, but Andy Carroll is once again reborn.

As an impact sub, if needed, against Stoke, he can get his eye in.

Just in time for some rough house against his favourite opponents, Arsenal.

:thup:
8-)
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:
They sound like us when we are in despair. Then again I'm sure all forums are the same for all clubs in these situations
I like to think we have a better class of despair here on KUMB. :) :)
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Ah the emotional rollercoaster that is West Ham.

This game was all about not losing. Which we didn’t.

However, I never want to see Hart in a West Ham shirt ever again.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

OFT wrote:
I like to think we have a better class of despair here on KUMB. :) :)

Yeah we don't take it out on our sisters for starters!
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

Should of started with Hernandez tonight, linked up with arnie well when he came on.

I think Moyes set up happy to take a point, roll on the end of the season when he ****'s off.

We needed to go out there tonight like we started against southampton, high intensity.

Didn’t think much of the officials tonight, how many fouls did they commit on there area that went unpunished and why were all 3 of the stoke players that jumped in the crowd not booked?
hatori

Post by hatori »

Special mention to nobes today who absolutely bossed it and was spraying it all over the gaff.

Also big angelo and fernandes who could have got eaten alive in there, much improved. Think with a run in the side he could be a very good cm