West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (16/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by Graza »

Billydinho wrote:It's really making me laugh how people are clamouring to sign Mario.

The fella is pointless. He offers nothing.

Same with Fernandez, still waiting to be told what he does or what his role is.
In fairness Mario has done OK. He's probably not as good as Lanzini but as a play maker being dumped into a team halfway through a season, scraping around the bottom end bereft of attacking impetus, with very few ball playing players to link up with, in a league he doesn't know he has done fine. Not £26m fine but fine.

Fernandez's role might become clear if he is ever played in the same position for more than 2 games straight. If the obstructed keepers eyeline rule didn't apply only to us he'd have had a goal. In that system he was supposed to be a bit wide, move the ball on and support Arnie. Playing long bombs at their center halves bypassed him (and Mario) leaving him charging up just in case, only to be caught out when it failed yet again. He has done a job all over the midfield and at wing back when called on. He's no world beater but if he was he wouldn't be playing for us.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

sutts07 wrote:PS... someone at the club needs to be asking Arnautovic to get in the ear of fellow Austrian Moritz Bauer and tap him up.

Caused us no end of problems with his pace and was delighted to see him subbed.
They missed a trick not giving him the "24" shirt.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Billydinho wrote:It's really making me laugh how people are clamouring to sign Mario.

The fella is pointless. He offers nothing.

Same with Fernandez, still waiting to be told what he does or what his role is.
£26million? Never in a million years. We wouldn't pay even half that anyway.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Mario really isnt that good and neither is Fernandes. One good game in 6 for both?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I quite like the look of Mario but he needs to learn fast about the physicality of the league, he wanted too many soft free kicks last night. The Stoke midfield knew they just had to be in his face last night to nullify him. I was quite impressed with that Badou N'Diaye who we were linked with to be honest. First time i have seen him properly but great energy, he seemed like one of the only Stoke players with any enthusiasm about him.
Spongthrush
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Spongthrush »

Last night reminded me of our Championship season for the physical challenges flying in. So Stoke will fit right in next season, assuming their players stick with the club.

Lambert's tactic nearly worked, slow the game right down, time waste at every opportunity and nick a goal at the end. That's football I guess, but the ref should deal with excessive timewasting, I found it far more frustrating than VAR to watch Shawcross sit down to tie his boots, holding up play, with ref Oliver pointing at his watch. Then +1 added minute at the end of the first half? Either ref allows play to continue while Shawcross wastes time or adds it on....he was sat on his backside for more than a minute....those laces are really fiddly you know.

The lack of yellow cards for the robust tackles must beat some Stoke record, although Hernandez's attempt at winning a pen was pretty shabby so he should have been booked along with the other 3 Stoke players who jumped in the crowd.

Agree about Arthur, Zouma looked like he wanted to eat him for supper. I thought Carroll did great, made mincemeat of Shawcross.
Boleyn Bound
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Boleyn Bound »

They missed a trick not giving him the "24" shirt.
Take a bow Sir :lol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Stoke City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132389

West Ham v Stoke (Ten Thousand Miles From The Boleyn)
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4150
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Funny how so many on here are complaining about how negative we were, and yet from a Stoke fans point of view above:

'Why did we bang it away every time we won the ball back and allow West Ham wave after wave of attack?'

I personally think many are being far too critical of the performance. And Arthur... yes his crossing was poor yesterday, but overall I didn't think he was that terrible. Got the ball forward often, and passed it well.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Stoke City
Blimey. And I thought we were unhappy with last night..... :lol:

Still, they probably had a long trip back to the Goblin King's palace in the Labyrinth last night.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't know what they are all unhappy about, that was a good point for them last night.
Jay-Dee
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jay-Dee »

To be fair I think Hart had a very good game until the goal. The mistake almost cost us the game, but in general he's far better than Adrian. Prepared to give him another chance. Confidence isn't totally rebuilt in a couple of games. He will get even better.

I believe our defensive setup cost us two points yesterday. Arnautovic ran his socks off, but had little or no support from the rest of the team. No point criticizing him. I thought he was a constant threat, and was only inches from scoring. With Lanzini and Carroll on, we suddenly were far more likely to score. Moyes has to take blame for not changing soon enough, which is not the first time.

Motm was Rice for me. Declan is already a quality player for us at 19. Quick, composed, reads game well. Pairing him with Ogbonna was a masterstroke, and we have the central defence to build on for the future. Ogbonna is also in fantastic form .It's taken a long time for him to deliver, but he's extremely important to us at the moment.

We certainly need several upgrades in the summer, though, and hopefully we'll pick up a couple of points in the run-in to secure staying in PL. Zaba, Kouyate, Cresswell, Fernandes, Evra, Hugill all not good enough for top 10 finish in PL, and needs to be replaced. Noble had a great game yesterday, but (hate to say it) will be far too slow for another season.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

With our run-in it was a potentially season defining game and about as must win as it gets. We played it like a friendly and the away team and let Stoke get into the game. No-one actually seemed to give a ****.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

sutts07 wrote:PS... someone at the club needs to be asking Arnautovic to get in the ear of fellow Austrian Moritz Bauer and tap him up.

Caused us no end of problems with his pace and was delighted to see him subbed.
Said the same... They signed him in January for £5million and apparently Arnautovic sold him on going to Stoke.

How long have we been looking for a RB?
How much have we pissed away on Evra?
Who does Arnautovic play for?

Someone please tell me that was Bauers only decent game of football since arriving.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Stoke City

West Ham v Stoke (Ten Thousand Miles From The Boleyn)
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4150
I liked Cozmick's comments the best.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

So both sets of fans reckon their team was utter crap then? The point does Stoke very little good, realistically they need to win 3 of their remaining 4 games and even then hope for other teams to screw up.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've just read some of the oppo's views of the match and they seem a good bunch. Equally as ****ed off with their cheapskate board and manager as we are with ours. Even the blue rhetoric synergises
Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

I have just watched the game and have to say we were unlucky not to win. The third disallowed goal was poor refereeing as Shawcross was all over Carroll and no handball should have been given. The commentary was typically Sky anti-West Ham. "They were both pushing each other so all's fair" . NO-Shawcross was like an Octopus over AC and the latter was trying to get away.
Also, Stoke were really dirty, with niggling fouls for which they mostly were not penalised. Really hope they go down. Years of Karma stacked up for fouling West Ham with impunity,
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Forgot to post just how proud of young Declan I was last night. At times he genuinely showed signs of Rio, cool and calm as the last man, rolling away from attackers and bringing the ball forward.

He is looking like the real deal. Pure class, keep it up young man!
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Anybody got any footage of Carroll being rugby tackled in the box? From where I was sitting looked as clear a pen as you'll ever see.