Arsenal 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Not sure what your point is Pinky?
bubbles1966 wrote: Is it the same one that was being talked about on Talksport before the game?

Ultimately, it was the empty seats that did for Wenger. The huge no-show by the support.
Not the same point, but undoubtedly the empty seats did for Wenger, they fired him, be in no doubt.

My point was about how low we set the bar as supporters in terms of expectations yet we still cannot reach it .

Wenger has delivered their supporters in the past 4 years as many FA cups as we have won in our existence, yet it wasn't deemed acceptable by their support.

We're asking for a little more flair and a better attempt at winning some games ......and yet we seem content with our lot .

Just when will this Board of Directors start to feel real heat for their ineptitude ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

I hadn’t thought of it that way before TPP but you’ve got a point...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:Just when will this Board of Directors start to feel real heat for their ineptitude ?
If we're still on the hook for relegation as we kick off against Everton, maybe even Man U.

Then as the ST renewal deadline approaches.

If Southampton beat Bournemouth next weekend, it's going to be a close run thing because Man City will beat us at a canter next week.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

the pink palermo wrote:
My point was about how low we set the bar as supporters in terms of expectations yet we still cannot reach it .

Wenger has delivered their supporters in the past 4 years as many FA cups as we have won in our existence, yet it wasn't deemed acceptable by their support.
They just spent £50m on a striker in the last window and sold their best player. I think they have every right to feel a little aggrieved.
the pink palermo wrote:We're asking for a little more flair and a better attempt at winning some games ......and yet we seem content with our lot .
I think thats called being a West Ham fan Pinks. We've had flair in years gone by and still been gubbed by the bigger teams.
the pink palermo wrote:Just when will this Board of Directors start to feel real heat for their ineptitude ?
As soon as we see thousands of those beautiful white seats not being filled at the OS. On that point, are you renewing next season?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

imagine the bowl if we go down on the last day. would make burnley look a cordial introduction.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

I hadn’t thought of it that way before TPP but you’ve got a point...[/quote]

Absolutely right he's got a point - imo one ****ing hell of a point.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

westham,eggyandchips wrote: On that point, are you renewing next season?
Still have one year left on my BB ticket.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

When 20,000 of season ticket holders don’t renew. If people aren’t up for that then they’ll need to keep sucking this all up.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

the pink palermo wrote:

Every substitution was 10 mins too late.

Every one of them.
Exactly...this seems to be a feature of Moyes
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Would be great if we could spend some time in training practicing how to defend the corners that we take!
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Was it me or did Ogbonna look injured?

Just another example of the incompetence of our board letting Fonte go and playing a injured centre half.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

the pink palermo wrote:
Not the same point, but undoubtedly the empty seats did for Wenger, they fired him, be in no doubt.

We're asking for a little more flair and a better attempt at winning some games ......and yet we seem content with our lot .

Just when will this Board of Directors start to feel real heat for their ineptitude ?
How many years were you telling us all that you would never set foot inside Stratford? :wink:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Arsenal fans got the manager out, we were months ahead of them on that.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Very good Ron
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Koyaute.

I just don't understand him as a central (defensive?) midfielder.

He can't control the ball. The ball seems to be bouncing up around him and struggles to get it back under control. If he does pass, 9 times out of 10 it goes to opposition or it's backwards. He doesn't track back. He seems to meander back. Times he was on the floor watching the play going on. Took an age to get up off of the floor.

They (arsenal) were so so poor at the back it was unbelievable. We should (and better teams will) have exploited that more.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

jacko wrote:Would be great if we could spend some time in training practicing how to defend the corners that we take!
I had a chuckle reading that, but its too accurate, really.

It's the same as it used to be, under Avram; how many times did we concede a goal and then nearly another, because we screwed up kicking off again, once the game re-started?
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

MrHammer73 wrote:Was it me or did Ogbonna look injured?

Just another example of the incompetence of our board letting Fonte go and playing a injured centre half.
He certainly looked sluggish and not up to his usual performance. There were a couple of instances later intake game where he looked slower than Noble.
flysohigh

Post by flysohigh »

We have lost any sense of ambition. It’s all about survival at any cost. So much fear but what is there to fear? We get relegated the tickets will be cheaper and the board will be having sleepless nights. Sounds good to me. As for entertainment it’s far easier to go to the cinema or watch armchair football than a Moyes borefest. They just don’t get it but they will when the ground is empty. There will be plenty of empty seats next week for sure.

We need to up the pressure on the board and remind them “ world class stadium with a world class team “
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

It’s an old point, but Moyes is playing with the cards he has. I doubt he is happy with the squad, and if he is signing Allen and Butland it shows where his priorities lie.

The team is in dire need of defensive and midfield reinforcements. A couple of centre halfs, with Rice protected as the first reserve behind an experienced paring so he can build experience without being hung out to dry, seem crucial
flysohigh

Post by flysohigh »

Ironing Board wrote:It’s an old point, but Moyes is playing with the cards he has. I doubt he is happy with the squad, and if he is signing Allen and Butland it shows where his priorities lie.

The team is in dire need of defensive and midfield reinforcements. A couple of centre halfs, with Rice protected as the first reserve behind an experienced paring so he can build experience without being hung out to dry, seem crucial
Sorry mate absolute rubbish. Carroll Lanzini & Chicharito on the bench so no need to start with that eleven. Holland and Browne should be on the bench as they are in form and deserve their chance over a bunch of unambitious slow overpaid salary theives. No excuse not to try and attack in the last few games. The managers fear has now infected the players and we can all see the results. Show some confidence is the players and get rid of the shackles. Also get rid of the midfield in the summer.