Arsenal 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Has Hart been blamed for the death of Ray Wilkins yet? He was in the same city after all.

I’m not his greatest fan but honestly...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Has Hart been blamed for the death of Ray Wilkins yet? ...
Of course not.

We all know that was Harry Kane.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:What really pisses me off no end is........no one seems to have gotten any photos of the cheese board in the Director's Box

8-)

let me tell you , i was in the suite next door and the cheese board looked extremely good , whether the meal was worth £ 75 each then we got stung £ 4 each for a coffee afterwards , although they throw beer/tea/coffee etc in for free at ht
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

smfc wrote: I'm far from a fan of Hart but two things here:

1. If the keeper shouts "away" then you clear it
2. If you are in any doubt you clear it

You can clearly hear Hart at games, he is pretty vocal when he needs to be and he shouts "away!" a LOT. Not just him but other players will as well, the keeper can't always see everything that might be happening.

Some will say if the keeper shouts "mine" you should leave it. I never ever did that, too many cheeky buggers can shout that.

Rice clearly at fault, not a big deal - mistakes and lessons learned, all part of the game.

Whilst I agree that Rice should have cleared that ball whatever, the way that Cresswell ducked under that free-kick in the first half does make me wonder if defenders had been told that on Hart's call they should let ball go through to him. The similarity of Cresswell's and Rice's ducks was striking.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Well that was fun!

until the collapse I actually thought we was ok and that was including the fact we was playing with 7 men. Kouyate and Arthur were abysmal all game. I thought Noble had a good game throwing himself around and blocking things but his passing was poor yesterday. Mario and Fernandez were completely off the pace.
I think Mario needs players around him as his qualities seem to be quick, clever passing. Yesterday, more than once he had three players around him with hardly any support.
I think Fernandez needs some loan time somewhere.

I made a point to watch Kouyate off the ball yesterday and he holds a really strange position in the midfield; not quite attacking and not quite defensive, its a funny line between the two. He also allows players to run past him in hope the defence pick them up, leaving our defence overrun. he also looked knackered!
This was leaving Noble running in triangles between three Arsenal players.

I thought Rice was once again outstanding bar the mistake. He is young, every so often something like this will happen, I don't mind the odd error while he is learning its worth it in the long run.

I really didn't think we was that bad, I thought a draw was a fair result but we did something yesterday we have not don't since Billic leaving, we collapsed. Made the result look like something it was not.

People were moaning that Moyes made changes too late. The bloke cannot win! Yes there were players being carried but it was a system and until Rice's error we was level and looking good. The goal went in so he made changes to chase the game, a more attacking approach. nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Also people moaning about Hart. Not a lot he could have done about any of those goals and I thought he looked quite good in parts.

Last point - apart from being local and having a 'connection', what leadership does Noble bring to the pitch? Love Nobes but only see him moaning at the ref.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

I was at the match and Fernandez was woeful with Mario not much better. Fernandez passes were shocking although Mario did show some skill and could improve but not worth £20m+ to stay. Rice was great and marshalled the back line like a seasoned veteran while Oggy looked a little out of sorts. Lanzini was great when he came on but we definately lost composure and looked spent late on.

It is obvious that we are light in midfield but to say we need just a DM, CB & goalie is wide of the mark. We’re going to need a minimum of 6 first team players next year, a complete rebuild which could either be exciting for the future or a disaster of loans & has beens. It’s not the right players being available to buy, it’s getting them to sign for our mess which is the problem. If we don’t get another 3 or 4 points, we’ll end up 16th or 15th at best and that will just make things even harder. But unless our aim is to build a team for the future and not just survival then we will be forever fighting relegation.
Last edited by Hamburger on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Humbug wrote:So Hart shouts "Away" behind Declan!!!! So with the crowd shouting , Declan trying to organise the line concentrating on the cross , he is supposed to also understand some sudden instruction from behind him while the ball is in the air? Hart is proving he is too stupid to be a PL or England goalkeeper.
Yes, that is exactly what he is supposed to do. As a defender, if he can't understand a simple instruction like "away" then he's going to have a tough time of it.

Honestly, the desperation from some of our support to blame everything on Hart is embarrassing.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

bubbles1966 wrote:
One or two of ours were struggling to keep up with the pace of the game after 20 minutes, the idea that they are going to be pressing after 80 odd is expecting quite a lot.

After pulling level we dropped back as opposed to seizing initiate and continuing as we were

We let crosses in too easily and tend to sit back rather than press or close down.

If professional athletes are struggling after 20 minutes then they really shouldn’t be playing.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Chigwell

4 quid for a coffee ?????

Starbucks in the States is over 4 dollars for a vente latte.....I pay 3.90 dollars a pound for coffee here !!!!

:lol:

Still free beer at half time....?? You could probably drink more than 75 quid's worth of grub instead Shirley if you went about it properly....

no tweets from Karren yesterday ? Nothing from Gold ??

shocked
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

carnage wrote:The team need to remember that goal difference may end up being important so they mustn’t throw the towel in at 1-0/2-0 like they have done on many occasions.