Arsenal 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
I haven’t been that against him, but he’s starting to piss me off a little bit with Allardyce like comments and cautious line ups against Stoke.

Granted Hart (against Stoke) and Rice mistakes aren’t his fault, but Stoke should’ve been put away and we should’ve looked to have done that from the start.
6 months? That's it? Our team was a train wreck when he took over. Void of confidence, organisation, fitness & team spirit. We look a far better side now (overall) than we did then.

Yes, there has been some right sh*t as well but I believe, & think it's a fair thing to see Moyes get at least next season to see if we can play on a more regular basis like we did vs Saints, Stoke (a) & Huddersfield(a). If he can't & we end up playing poorly & getting tanked most weeks then he's a goner. I don't think we can judge anything at this moment in time.

Benitez would be great. Jokanović would be a Manager that would bring a style of football to WHU, that we would all love. Good Manager & done very well at Fulham.

Who do you want? Please don't say Eddie Howe who imo is bang average. Seems like he gets lost if he steps outside Bournemouth & would crumble under the pressure at West Ham.

Moyes two year contract or go for the two above this summer.
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by fester »

the pink palermo wrote:Arsenal were there for the taking today.

Insufficiently positive from the start, too slow to seize the initiative once we had clawed a goal back and a final capitulation when chasing the game.

Every substitution was 10 mins too late.

Every one of them.
Exactly - spot on. When was the last time we made a proactive substitution rather than reactive. Bilic was guilty of this too.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

droshky wrote:What a shame none of the senior players saw fit throw an arm round the poor little ****ers shoulder. Reminds me of Tompkins error v Reading when captain Upson turned his back on him. I’d have thought better of Mark, milking it while Rice sobbed his way off
Bollox to Rice. Its a mans game and he's been playing long enough now to know better. His mistakes are costing goals and handing games to the opposition. Its a shame because the lad has been doing ok of late. But all this arm round him cobblers does my nut in.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1523 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

-DL- wrote: He showed **** all leadership on that pitch today - much like he has for the best part of two seasons now. Moyes cops the flack for the leadership on the management side, yet to me, Noble's leadership on the pitch has been conspicuous by it's absence this season.
He also gave the ball away far too cheaply on 4 or 5 occasions. Noble and Kouyate were made to look very mediocre by Xhaka and a 20 year old today. We desperately missed Obiang (or anyone else for that matter).
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

the pink palermo wrote:Arsenal were there for the taking today.

Insufficiently positive from the start, too slow to seize the initiative once we had clawed a goal back and a final capitulation when chasing the game.

Every substitution was 10 mins too late.

Every one of them.
The substitutions were exactly right but IMHO more like 20 minutes too late. Our defense is shaky at best and today we need to get Arsenal on the back foot and go at them more. Disappointing result and 1 and possibly even 3 points dropped due to Moyes negative and indecisive tactics. I’d personally be happy to see him gone in the summer but I know he’s almost certainly gonna get a one year contract.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

What exactly does Noble offer the team nowadays aide from sideward passes?

Can't shoot, can't pass forward, has no pace...not exactly the hallmark of a top half premier league midfielder.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Let's not forget, whoever our manager was wouldn't have been given the defensive midfielder we needed in January and would have to find something to do with Jordan Hugill.

Managers are great and all that, but we seem to be forgetting where the real problem at West Ham lies and it sure as **** isn;t in the dugout.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

A predictable result against one of the better sides. Arsenal were there for the taking, but Rice gifted it to them. Yes he's young and yes giving him a kicking wont help, but h's surely old enough to know not to do that?

Embarrassing capitulation in the last 10. Arsenal could have had 5 or 6.

One thing that did seem clear is our midfield are nowhere near against the top sides. We need good long term replacements for both Noble and Kouyate.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

sendô wrote: Embarrassing capitulation in the last 10. Arsenal could have had 5 or 6.

One thing that did seem clear is our midfield are nowhere near against the top sides. We need good long term replacements for both Noble and Kouyate.
We were apparently looking at Joe Allen in January (who would have been a good upgrade on Noble), but we baulked at the asking price.

I dread to think who we'll end up with if we can't afford Joe Allen.

HammerMan2004 wrote:Too many attacking players on the pitch? THREE?!??

**** off Moyes.

Honest question.

Did you think '**** off Moyes' before our match vs Arsenal?

Our collapse in the last 10 minutes was worrying. That needs to be addressed.

There was nothing between the sides up to the 80th minute. As I said up till then fair result would have been 2-2.

Some of our play today, pass & move was really good to watch.

I still believe there were more positives than negatives.

Adrian back in. I think we'll win vs Man City.

Sorry just on Hart. That shot he saved in the 1st half when he seem to just parry the ball out, it was chest height was really strange. The goal vs Stoke where his mistake, he then went feet vs to tackle the player. E makes some weird decisions. Shot stopping from distance he still makes some decent stops but I feel our defence don't feel real confidence in the bloke.

Adrian no 1 or 2 next season. We need another keeper in the summer.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Not surprised by the capitulation at the end.

People are looking at the subs and saying it didnt work, but basically we lost a shocker for the second that stung us, and then the ref let them foul Kouyate and they got a snap third. It wasnt tactics by then, it was snapshot moments.

On the game itself, we did ok and could have got more. Think we deserved a draw.

Arthur looked all over the place defensively at times (although really nice of him to leave that ball going into the corner so Hart could have a chance to make an impossible save...oh) and Mario isn't worth £26m of anyone's money.

Hart and Cresswell were good, Arnie ran his b*llocks off. Everyone else did jobs but that was all.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

All the talk of us beating City cos they're at the beach etc; just watching them play Swansea and they look pretty bloody good and up for it! Must have left their bucket and spades at home.
If they bring their buckets to our game they're going to fill it up with goals, whoever is between the sticks for us!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:

Honest question.

Our collapse in the last 10 minutes was worrying. That needs to be addressed.

There was nothing between the sides up to the 80th minute. As I said up till then fair result would have been 2-2.

Some of our play today, pass & move was really good to watch.

I still believe there were more positives than negatives.

Adrian back in. I think we'll win vs Man City.

Sorry just on Hart. That shot he saved in the 1st half when he seem to just parry the ball out, it was chest height was really strange. The goal vs Stoke where his mistake, he then went feet vs to tackle the player. E makes some weird decisions. Shot stopping from distance he still makes some decent stops but I feel our defence don't feel real confidence in the bloke.

Adrian no 1 or 2 next season. We need another keeper in the summer.
Yes mate. Adrian will make all the difference. I think he will save everything Man City throw at him
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Honest question.

Honestly? Yes. I’ve thought it for a few weeks.

I’m bored of not playing a striker. I’m bored of waiting 70 mins to see a sub.

LincolnshireHammer wrote:What exactly does Noble offer the team nowadays aide from sideward passes?

Can't shoot, can't pass forward, has no pace...not exactly the hallmark of a top half premier league midfielder.
Strange. I thought he played well today.

With the rest of the team I think he worked his socks off. Our closing down today & work rate was impressive. (Up till the 2nd Arsenal goal)
StokeIrons
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

Noble gave the ball away far too easily.

The turning round and round with his left boot nailed to the pitch becomes far too predictable.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
Strange. I thought he played well today.

With the rest of the team I think he worked his socks off. Our closing down today & work rate was impressive. (Up till the 2nd Arsenal goal)
Mate, he was awful. He showed no leadership out there in the pitch at all. He was slow of thought as well as slow of foot and I saw absolutely no galvanising of his team mates at all. I don't know any other Premier League team who would have him anywhere near their starting eleven.
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

According to the radio an Arsenal player called the Hart/Declan debacle, do you still blame Declan for that?.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Quick correction for some of you based on my earnings under old Moyesy boy

It’s 60 minutes without a striker, not 70 minutes
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Declan Rice was excellent again today bar one mistake. That’s what happens with young players and I’d rather they were on the pitch and allowed to make them.

Hart did little wrong today and made two excellent saves.

I’m sure Rice will come through it though. He’s one of the few positives from this season.