West Ham Utd 1-4 Manchester City (29/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: West Ham United v Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Watched it from the comfort of my arm chair, felt strange as we were at home, I knew we going to roll over and have our bellies tickled for being good boys and not harming their "stars". I don't care about the result, the gulf between the top sides and sides like us is arguably the biggest it has ever been. I am just disgusted at the fact we didn't even really put it in, Arnie has his head down in frustration, who can blame him.

We are a ****ing joke from top to bottom.

I wanted us to stay up as I thought that would mean more chance of the ****y board selling up, more hope from me, than any real reality. I honestly today do not give a f***, I am bored with football, pissed at our board, pissed at the majority of our players.

Said I would stay and watch us at home until safe, and then not go back until the board go. Well I am done now, I'm out. The board don't care I'm/many like me are gone/going, that we know.

For all those who remain going, I salute you.
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

I've been a supporter of Moyes until yesterday.

Whilst we all want attacking football all of the time, I have no problem with a manager going out with a specific game plan. What I cannot accept is having a manager who fails to change the plan either when it is not working or when there is an opportunity to drive home an advantage.

The first half yesterday was ok - we could easily have gone in at 2-2. What was clear was that City's one weak spot was their 2 centre backs - they were both walking red cards for the ten minutes before half time. Moyes should have seen this and made their lives a misery. One change at half time would potentially have swung the game for us.

Like him or loathe him, if Carroll had been brought on at half time for Fernandez, the City CB's would have been dreading 45 minutes up against Carroll and Arnie. Whilst City are great in attack, I truly believe that we had an opportunity to beat them yesterday, but instead of attacking in the 2nd half, we came out with a team set up to defend and completely gave up the incentive that we had built towards the end of the first half.

We can make all of the excuses around unbalanced squad, lack of investment etc etc, but there was absolutely no reason not to give things a go in the 2nd half yesterday.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Same as nearly every game, first 10/15 minutes pressure a little. Then slowly give them more and more space, get deeper and deeper as the game goes on,try not to concede.

I will not watch another game this season, we are going into every game trying to draw 1 point will keep us in the league (still still we can stay up without scoring another point) so we will set up this way..

I'm sorry but if i have to watch Kouyate pretending to run another game my head's going to explode. Play Cullen for crying out loud play Cullen he cant be any worse, he's a far better "footballer" than Kouyate and at least he's going to try..

People keep going on about how bad our defence are but i'm not buying that been saying it for ages than our midfield is so non existent its literally 5/6 attacker/midfielders against our 3 centre halves every game..

Kouyate and Noble doesn't work. Noble runs around to much chasing space and nobody covers, kouyate has no concept of direction and is always somewhere he shouldn't be.

We dont lose because our defense is awful and we dont lose because we cant score we lose in midfield every single game.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

He subbed Lanzini for making a mistake, then name dropped him to Sky. One bad mistake after giving Otamendi etc the run around in the first half. Moyes can f*** right off.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Being a glutton for punishment I recorded it and watched late last night when I got in from work.
I don't expect us to beat Man City, but I do expect players to bust a gut trying to beat Man City. Certain players were happy to stroll around and stand off, City were given so much space I am surprised the scoreline wasn't higher.
Last edited by Coops on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

No excuses of course, but the only thing I can think of re Carroll and Lanzini is that Moyes made the decision to lose the battle in the hope of winning the war.
Lanzini was starting for the first time since his injury, Carroll is always a muscle strain waiting to happen. Once it had gone beyond us, 3-1, then quickly 4-1, no point in risking both of these.

We need one win, or possibly two draws. The three remaining games present a better chance of achieving the results required. If it is achieved, and either Lanzini or Carroll play a big part in it, then many will think differently.

Terrible state of affairs really though. I believe you should play your best team and try to win every game with your best tactics. Fear no one and leave respect until after the game. If only....
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Coops wrote:Being a glutton for punishment I recorded it and watched ate last night when I got in from work.
I don't expect us to beat Man City, but I do expect players to bust a gut trying to beat Man City. Certain players were happy to stroll around and stand off, City were given so much space I am surprised the scoreline wasn't higher.
It was basically a 90 minute guard of honour!
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

The Old Mile End wrote:No excuses of course, but the only thing I can think of re Carroll and Lanzini is that Moyes made the decision to lose the battle in the hope of winning the war.
Lanzini was starting for the first time since his injury, Carroll is always a muscle strain waiting to happen. Once it had gone beyond us, 3-1, then quickly 4-1, no point in risking both of these.

We need one win, or possibly two draws. The three remaining games present a better chance of achieving the results required. If it is achieved, and either Lanzini or Carroll play a big part in it, then many will think differently.

Terrible state of affairs really though. I believe you should play your best team and try to win every game with your best tactics. Fear no one and leave respect until after the game. If only....
If this is the case then another reason for him to leave our club. The club would have made around 2,000,000 in gate receipts yesterday. People paying serious money and financially stretching themselves to watch us roll over and die, just so we can stay in the PL to make the owners more money :thdn:
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I was at the match and left on 80 mins. Couldn't take any more. Having watched it again on MOTD, I got even more angry at seeing our players watching City pass through and around them as if they were dustbins. In fact I think a team of dustbins would give our lot a good game these days. Shearer was right, West Ham fans watching the game were robbed of their ticket money.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

johnnyb wrote:Shearer was right, West Ham fans watching the game were robbed of their ticket money.
Neither the players or the board will offer to refund it either.....utter gash.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

well it's not like that was what everyone expected. Lets just concentrate on leicester
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:He subbed Lanzini for making a mistake, then name dropped him to Sky. One bad mistake after giving Otamendi etc the run around in the first half. Moyes can **** right off.
i think lanzini gave the ball away far too much yesterday, was the right sub
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

frankiemac wrote: i think lanzini gave the ball away far too much yesterday, was the right sub
Or maybe he could have subbed someone on who would have given lanzini an option to pass to rather than hide behind a city player?
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

we played the harlem globetrotters yesterday...they literally toyed with us, and be under no illusion, in that last 20 mins, had they needed to score 3 or 4 more, they could have...they had another couple of gears they didnt use

the scoreline and result were expected, but i would have loved to have seen us press them from the off...i dont mind a tonking as long as everyone has put a shift in...my biggest frustration yesterday...yaya toure...he came on with 20 minutes to go...had the freedom of midfield, we never had a player within 5 yards of him, and he pinged it around at will...the stat was that he had more touched than any of our players in that 20 minute period

why there wasnt more fight, i do not know...i remember when i first started going to watch west ham...we had a go at every team who came to the boleyn...there was always a chance of us getting something...we were beaten before a ball was kicked yesterday, and that hurts...
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

StackerJJ wrote: i think lanzini gave the ball away far too much yesterday, was the right sub
Or maybe he could have subbed someone on who would have given lanzini an option to pass to rather than hide behind a city player?
we had options at times...city pressed and closed us all over the pitch...the number of times lanzini tried to take on one man too many and gave the ball away...
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Mario and Fernandez are the least effective players in our squad.

The fact people clamour to sign Mario baffles me. Other than a foreign name and playing for Inter Milan, what are people seeing?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Absolutely gutless display. City wont have had an easier game all season. Feel sorry for Lanzini and Arnie having to try and play football with that lot.

Oh, and say what you like about Carroll, he wanted to get out there and i think Moyes brought the wrong striker on. Considering how abject we were i actually liked seeing him pissed off. It actually looked like he cared and wanted to help the team.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

That match was crying out for Carroll to come on at 1/2 time. The second half was a predictable procession of pointlessness without him.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Billydinho wrote:Mario and Fernandez are the least effective players in our squad.

The fact people clamour to sign Mario baffles me. Other than a foreign name and playing for Inter Milan, what are people seeing?
Its not just me then, can look tidy when in possession .. that's about it.

Cullen should be in over Fernandez, that hes started the amount of games he has - demonstrates how weak the squad is.
acrimony
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by acrimony »

DM wrote:That match was crying out for Carroll to come on at 1/2 time. The second half was a predictable procession of pointlessness without him.
I was convinced this would happen. A statement sub on 45 min that warns City we were going to have a go. A threat that could have caused them a problem. The triple sub thing was bizarre. Its the move I make on football manager when I've had enough.