West Ham Utd 1-4 Manchester City (29/04/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Re: West Ham United v Manchester City: Match Thread

Post by goa127 »

Definitely beaten before a ball was kicked. I think most of the team had mentally written this game off before the start and just wanted to get it over with. Is that acceptable? Well, it shouldn't be, but as half the fans (including me ) didn't bother going for the same reason, we, or should I say I, are not really in a position to complain. Everybody's minds seem to be on the next three games, where we hope to pick up points. If we don't, I doubt we'll survive
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Sky blue Manc wrote:Good look in the Championship.
Corrected for you, mate.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

goa127 wrote:Definitely beaten before a ball was kicked. I think most of the team had mentally written this game off before the start and just wanted to get it over with. Is that acceptable?
This.

The way we'd given up after the third went in was disgraceful.

No fight, no care, no pride.

If they don't start fighting we'll be down
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Apathy.

It was invited in by our own actions, and it has made itself at home.

On the pitch, in the dressing room, and sadly, in the crowd.

As a team, as a squad, as a club, as a fan base, as a supporters action group – we are pathetic right now.
There was a chance, there was hope, there was belief. Yesterday it was all gone.

Perhaps many have withdrawn after all the infighting that went on. Perhaps they have withdrawn because their voice was not heard, nor welcomed. Perhaps they have withdrawn because of lack of leadership. Most people want to follow - but sadly, there was no leader.

This is the result.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
I’m so utterly sick of Arnautovic up top on his own. He’s made it work because he’s decent but for **** sake somebody help him. We’ve got strikers galore on the bench every ****ing week.
When you put it like that, it made me think how much he continues to overlook most of the time.

Carroll £18m - £90k a week
Hernandez £16m - £120k a week
Hugill £10m - £30k+ a week

£44m plus £240k a week worth rotting on the bench most weeks.

*Valuations quoted in the Press give or take without getting too into it

Neutrals looking on from the outside must think, f*** me WHU must be some team to keep that lot on the bench! When reality is, we are anything but.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Humbug wrote:Moyes said they trained for this game without the ball so that's what they were doing , not attacking the ball.

That never happened. I hate the bloke, but that can't be at all true.
Colours never run

Ironing Board wrote: Yeah right, tell me all these teams that have beaten Man City this season, and compare the standard of their squad to ours.

Wigan! :lol:
Colours never run

OohAahButler wrote:I didn’t mind the clapping of the champions onto the pitch. That’s just old fashioned good manners.
I don’t blame Moyes for the fact that we got totally outclassed by this Man City team. No surprise there.
I totally blame Moyes for the fact that he sent the team out with absolutely no fire in their bellies. We’re fighting relegation! How can we not even be trying to get in their faces?
What the **** was his half time talk?? Did he hand out Tranquilisers? We’d managed to get a goal back totally against the run of play, and looked like we might be able to get st them for 5 mins...given ourselves an undeserved lifeline. We should have burst out of the gates second half. Shameful.
I was pro Moyes getting another season if he kept us up. Not now.

Bang on Post.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -boardroom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graza

Post by Graza »

Out of interest - I haven't seen it on a replay - was there anything wrong with Arnautovic's challenge on their keeper before his disallowed goal? From where is sat it looked like he got between ball and man and brushed him off with a shoulder, the keeper threw himself down and the foul was called well before the shot. I was thinking anywhere else on the pitch on any other player and there is no way that foul is given.

Did it look a foul on TV? It's not even mentioned in any of the write ups I've seen.
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

I wish the press would stop going on about the % of the ball Manchester City had, or the number of passes they made to everyone else.....its their style of play FFS. What do you expect when you have a team that is worth close to a half a billion, and one of the best coaches in the world.

I worry for football when a team gives up before a ball is even kicked. I remember going back in the 90s where if a top team showed up, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle - you knew you still had every chance of beating them on any given day, especially under the lights.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Graza wrote:Out of interest - I haven't seen it on a replay - was there anything wrong with Arnautovic's challenge on their keeper before his disallowed goal? From where is sat it looked like he got between ball and man and brushed him off with a shoulder, the keeper threw himself down and the foul was called well before the shot. I was thinking anywhere else on the pitch on any other player and there is no way that foul is given.

Did it look a foul on TV? It's not even mentioned in any of the write ups I've seen.
As it happened, it looked like a fair challenge.

From a new angle, probably slowed down, it looked like Ederson playing the ball away from Arnautovic and his movement then being checked by our player getting in his way.

At worst, it was an obstruction.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

BromleyHammer wrote:
I worry for football when a team gives up before a ball is even kicked. I remember going back in the 90s where if a top team showed up, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle - you knew you still had every chance of beating them on any given day, especially under the lights.
It would help if the manager didn't have the mindset of the game being lost before a ball is kicked, what message does that set to the players, "Oh well we are going to lose today anyway so no need to bust a gut" you are giving the players and excuse to fail, It's a ****ing disgrace and should be a sackable offense, how about having some self respect and try to out manage your opposition, rather than meekly bending over and presenting your ginger ****hole on a platter in submission!!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I thought we was okay first 45, went in 2-1 down, City should've had ten men too, second half abysmal but first was okay.

Adrian saved 2/3 one on ones or the score would've easily been more
I said before the game I would've played Carroll and lumped it
The score is hardly surprising, they put 5 past Swansea before that 3 past Tottenham
Our defence looked at see all game, Evra should have never been signed, baffling, he was finished 18 months ago
Not sure what Kouyate is or does, for a natural CB his tracking on the second goal I think it was, was non-existent
It was just a depressing day all round, it was a matter of how many we would get beaten by
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Graza wrote:Out of interest - I haven't seen it on a replay - was there anything wrong with Arnautovic's challenge on their keeper before his disallowed goal? From where is sat it looked like he got between ball and man and brushed him off with a shoulder, the keeper threw himself down and the foul was called well before the shot. I was thinking anywhere else on the pitch on any other player and there is no way that foul is given.

It was incredibly soft, and it was one of those ones that if it happened to an outfield player out on pitch you'd just put it down to Arnautovic using his strength and wanting it more, but because it's the keeper and apparently football is a non contact sport when it comes to keepers it was a foul.
BromleyHammer wrote:I worry for football when a team gives up before a ball is even kicked. I remember going back in the 90s where if a top team showed up, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle - you knew you still had every chance of beating them on any given day, especially under the lights.
You're not wrong mate. How many bloody noses have we given the top teams over the years? In their faces, crowd on their backs, don't let them settle. Now days we just meekly roll over and take it dry.

Embarrassing.
Graza

Post by Graza »

prophet:marginal wrote: As it happened, it looked like a fair challenge.

From a new angle, probably slowed down, it looked like Ederson playing the ball away from Arnautovic and his movement then being checked by our player getting in his way.

At worst, it was an obstruction.
sendô wrote: It was incredibly soft, and it was one of those ones that if it happened to an outfield player out on pitch you'd just put it down to Arnautovic using his strength and wanting it more, but because it's the keeper and apparently football is a non contact sport when it comes to keepers it was a foul.
Cheers.

I doubt that the result would have been different, but for me if you want your keeper playing the ball out like that then at some point someone is going to take it off him. Spared the keepers blushes for him.

Also I've not seen it mentioned but after the game Arnie took his boots off came into the crowd and gave them to a young boy sitting in his dad's shoulders. At least he will have a fond memory of the day. By the time he left the crowd there was barely another claret shirt not already in the tunnel. Speaks volumes.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Evra vs Sterling and Walker...

Doesn't take a ****ing genius to figure out that Masuaku would have been far more effective, if only for his ability to relieve pressure by taking the ball up the pitch!

Sums Moyes up that he opted for slow and steady, and the **** was far from steady as well.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Graza wrote: Also I've not seen it mentioned but after the game Arnie took his boots off came into the crowd and gave them to a young boy sitting in his dad's shoulders. At least he will have a fond memory of the day. By the time he left the crowd there was barely another claret shirt not already in the tunnel. Speaks volumes.
He did the same vs Burnley, as the rest of the team more less ran off of the pitch.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I said to my boy yesterday that there is no shame being beaten 4-1 by Man City, they have done that to teams all season, but what is not good enough is the standing on the edge of our area, to scared to commit or the fact we couldn't string two passed together because we was scared of being closed down.

For a brief 5 minute spell following our goal we had a real go, we chased them down and they were making mistakes. Half time come and we reverted back to type.

My next statement isn't based on one game, but thoughts collectively over the season so far. There are literally a handful of players I would like to see still here next season, Zabs, Oggy, Rice, Noble, Lanzini and Arnie. Only 4 of them I would consider first choice. I would like to see Ginge offered a coaching role though.
I would sell Kouyate in a heartbeat. He was once one of my fave players, now he is not interested.

It breaks my heart but we cannot play Chicarito because he is rubbish at all aspects of the game except finishing, and we are nowhere near the opponents box most of the game. He is a luxury we cannot afford. He just stropped about yesterday and whenever he did get the ball instead of holding it up he jumps up 5 ft in the air wanting a free kick.

The strangest part of yesterday was there was literally only a couple of us singing bubbles at the start of either half, never experienced anything like that before...

I hate West Ham London and I will not be renewing.
Loon

Post by Loon »

I thought any chance we had was lost by two unfortunate goals. I was disappointed Carroll didn't get half hour when we were behind. Maybe they are thinking of letting him go at the end of the season due to his injury record - it's difficult to justify keeping him - but when he's on the pitch it is 100% more exciting for me and I'll be sorry to see him go.