West Ham Utd 0-0 Manchester Utd (10/05/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by vietnammer »

Samba wrote:He's going to Arsenal? :shock:
More likely one of the (ex) Prem clubs that came in for him while he was with us
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not as bad a game as some are making out in my opinion, or at least not from a West Ham perspective. The irony of listening to Manchester United supporters singing "you're not West Ham anymore" .I didn't hear many chants of "attack, attack, attack".

The visitors arrived with the second tightest defence in the league, just behind the Champions, but sitting in 6th place in terms of goal scored, and it's clear where joyless jose's priorities lay. I'm amazed their supporters are putting up with it to be honest , it's less a case of Charlton , Best and Law and more like Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Sure our keeper was the busier of the two, but bloody hell they were the dullest Man Utd side in many a long year. Lucky they started with nil and all that.

I thought our Manager scored a great point with his employer by making a positive substitution bang on time this evening , PL safety having been secured at the weekend. In the second half Lanzini looked very good, and Mark "Hurricane" Noble had another fine game - doing the dull stuff like filling in for Zabaleta when he went wandering upfield. Carroll and Arnie gave us a glimpse of what might have been when they had 25 minutes on the field together but we never really looked like getting more than a single goal, and ultimately that proved beyond us , but that says as much about the opposition as us.

A decent point - did they stick 3 or was it 4 past us earlier this season ?
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

the pink palermo wrote:Not as bad a game as some are making out in my opinion, or at least not from a West Ham perspective. The irony of listening to Manchester United supporters singing "you're not West Ham anymore" .I didn't hear many chants of "attack, attack, attack".

The visitors arrived with the second tightest defence in the league, just behind the Champions, but sitting in 6th place in terms of goal scored, and it's clear where joyless jose's priorities lay. I'm amazed their supporters are putting up with it to be honest , it's less a case of Charlton , Best and Law and more like Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Sure our keeper was the busier of the two, but bloody hell they were the dullest Man Utd side in many a long year. Lucky they started with nil and all that.

I thought our Manager scored a great point with his employer by making a positive substitution bang on time this evening , PL safety having been secured at the weekend. In the second half Lanzini looked very good, and Mark "Hurricane" Noble had another fine game - doing the dull stuff like filling in for Zabaleta when he went wandering upfield. Carroll and Arnie gave us a glimpse of what might have been when they had 25 minutes on the field together but we never really looked like getting more than a single goal, and ultimately that proved beyond us , but that says as much about the opposition as us.

Yep :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

the pink palermo wrote:A decent point - did they stick 3 or was it 4 past us earlier this season ?
4, first game of the season, pinky.
I can't help wondering how tonight's game had turned out, if one or both of us, had been desperate for 3 points.
Really had 0-0 written all over it, before the start, just like Sunday's Everton game, I suspect..
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

We were dull........ Not as dull as we can be, but dull we were. A game that had 'end of term' written all over it. Man Utd hanging on and happy with a point towards the end.

By our own low standards, we played quite well, and a point against the second placed team is not to be sniffed at........... Dull though!

I only hope that Moyes is a bit more adventurous against Everton and gives Arnie some much needed help up front.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

just got home. What another load of dross in my view. 2 shots on goal and 1corner all night. Next level?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

There's been a monkey on my back for 2 years now and it was cracking on throughout the match.

I was in good company, had a few stiffners and for once the Olympic Park didn't feel like Siberia so all was good in the world. Then I took my seat and a general apathy seems to take over.

I'm pleased we're safe but f*** me it would have been a better spectacle if we weren't.

As for Man U - playing out a draw against us in the final minutes? Ha! When they sing about us not being West Ham anymore they're right of course, but then they got lost themselves long ago.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

although the match wasn't thrill a minute I thought there was a lot of decent football. About 10 minutes into the 2nd half I noticed ManU hadn't touched the ball for about 2 minutes. We were actually controlling the game! When City do that it's marvellous apparently. The main reason we failed to make any really clear chances was Lanzini's complete inability to weight his passes properly.He doesn't have too many off days but this most definitely was. Thought the much-maligned Kouyate completely subdued Pogba, and reminded us what he can do if he tries. Arthur seems to have lost interest lately, dreaming of pastures new?
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Not as bad a game as some are making out in my opinion, or at least not from a West Ham perspective. The irony of listening to Manchester United supporters singing "you're not West Ham anymore" .I didn't hear many chants of "attack, attack, attack".

Is the correct answer :thup: Keep up the good work Pinky
scottyboy71
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by scottyboy71 »

I also believe we played pretty well. There were passages of play with some decent passing around which I haven’t seen all season.
Noble was superb despite losing his head and that lovely bit of skill in midfield had me drooling. I love him when he thinks he’s Iniesta. Pogba was asking for it though. He’d been a filthy, niggly player for most of the game and clearly kicked out at Kouyate earlier.
I thought Kouyate got better as the game went on. Pogba started to boss things a bit, had a couple of a shots but then Kouyate shut him down.
Rice and Zab were simply brilliant too. I saw a lot of positives last night.
However, the balls into the last third are still pretty gash and there’s a lake between Arnie and the midfield.
Would I have seen the positives if Man U had something to really play for? Possibly not; but we rolled over to. City that had won the league a came for a kickabout so I’m taking the sunshine from this one.
I have to.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Strange feeling for me sitting in the comfort of my chair watching the game. I did not miss the agg of travel, but I did miss not being there. Even though the game was a little end of season get this done and on holiday feel about it, excluding Noble trying to take on Pogba :lol:

My son is not renewing now due to work, I had already said I'm not renewing due to the Board, but felt really strange and something missing last night...

I'm still proper pissed at the board and so do not want to give them my hard earned, but after my self imposed exile from the bowl I am 50/50 on renewing today...

One thing I got from the TV last night, AC & Arnie, all though did not click so to say, there is something there that could be very exciting.

Bloody West Ham being part of my soul, tossers....
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

How much exactly in ££ is Masuaku's penalty clause if he kicks the ball with his right foot ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

JLCABA wrote:How much exactly in ££ is Masuaku's penalty clause if he kicks the ball with his right foot ?

continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Like many others on here, I didn't think the game was anything like as poor as the press would have us believe. Arnie was a bit isolated up front, as ever, and Arthur had (another) poor game, but I was very impressed with Mario, who seems to me to be adapting to this league better and better. Thought his work-rate and passing were excellent yesterday, at least until he was put out wide when Carrol came on. Doubt it will happen, but I'd be happy to see him here again next season. Lanzini was one of the team's weaker links last night, and again lost the ball in a dangerous position which could easily have led to a goal for the opposition. Defensively we looked much more solid, though, and restricted them by and large to shots from distance. On another night, and with a different referee, we could have got more out of that game. Moss, who I've often thought of as being better than his reputation, proved me completely wrong last night. We got nothing out of him - how Smalling and Jones got away with their constant grappling of Arnie and then Andy was nothing short of scandalous. Pogo should have been booked well before the incident with Noble, and while I agree that Notes should have walked for his reaction, Moss had by then set the tone for how he would deal with the brief eruption of emotion.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

A good point against a defensive side who have are 2nd and have a cup final soon, first half they were better but mostly long shots from Lingaard and him diving every time he got breathed on, Adrian were a few cracking saves. Second half we were the better team slightly but still pretty even, Arnie had the beating of Smalling every time, we may've of even got a pen on another day. Noble should've gone really but as unprofessional as it was good to see Carroll fling himself in to protect the captain. Overall a valuable point and good result.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Thought we did well considering.

Just watched some highlights and noticed every Man Utd attack in the first half hour came from sloppy play by us in the middle or comedic defending at the back.

If we'd committed more men forward we might have threatened a bit more, and likely have scored one, but then we might have conceded six instead.

Seemed an entertaining match despite a the scoreline.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2780 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Man. Utd paid £89 million for Pogba, West Ham sold Payet for £25 million. :eh:
artlin

Post by artlin »

Diogenes wrote:I personally enjoyed the game and thought we played pretty well. But unlike a lot on this forum I was actually there. I dont understand all of the negativity on here to be honest. Some just choose to be miserable. Get a life for heavens sake, its only a game of football!
:thup:

Well said, sir.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Anal , I know , but in the first half alone I counted we gave the ball away 28 times ..

I honestly believe this , along with the almost " worst in division " goals conceded are our biggest problems ....

On the pitch that is
seaside hammer

Post by seaside hammer »

I thought we played well last night tbh. Yeah of course we can pick fault in one or two areas of the performance, tactics etc but overall a point against utd is a good result.

It is ironic UTD fans of all people telling us we r not west ham anymore, just bizarre.