Liverpool 4-0 West Ham Utd (12/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread (12/8/18)

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Up the Junction wrote:The offside rule worked perfectly well for about 140 years before the goalposts were figuratively moved. There was no ambiguity there - you're either onside or offside.
Or Sammy lee
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

I was thinking exactly the same thing, very apt you got the response in :thup:
Emj

Post by Emj »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:As long as we don't go there and sit back for 90 minutes and don't even attempt to score a goal then it's a positive for me. Liverpool have better players than us, they SHOULD beat us, but we are capable of causing them problems. Let's have a go. :thup:
I'm not digging this poster out intentionally, but it frustrates me remembering how many posts there were like this pre-game - "let's take the game to them" "we're just gunna get beat if we park the bus"...then many of the same people are questioning the manager's tactics when we get beat 4-0.

Football fans are some of the most fickle and sensationalist people on earth, and KUMBers are no exception...when we have a good win, we're top 6 contenders, and when we get smashed in the first game vs one of the best teams in Europe, people are fearing another relegation scrap. The reality is almost always somewhere in the middle. Tabloid mentality..
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

sendô wrote:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Looks like Arthur managed 3 times a season. :|
They were 3 examples of direct assists from crosses. He also put in a fantastic cross against Bournemouth which Arnautovic scored from after Chichas shot was saved. Im also pretty sure he put in many more crosses which created opportunities to score from!
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Tbh getting a bit bored now with being away opening game to one of the super powers and being 0 points & minus GD straight away.

Man U last yr. Chelsea yr before. Arsenal year before that. Guaranteed we'll have Citeh away next season
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I just watched the goals again on ssn. ( more the pity )

They are offside for 2 of their goals.

I know we were terrible but we never seem to get a break from these decisions. I remember Nolan having a goal disallowed at Old Trafford for his nostril hair being offside.

These decisions are blatant and also not picked up by the biased commentators either. I am sick to the teeth of hearing commentators say it wasn't that bad a foul when one of our players is nearly cut in two yet if we brush off someone we committed murder and should be sent off straight away.

It seems the refs are adamant no one is going to dislodge the so called big boys and the TV coverage are also in on it. ( all imo )
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

Didn't the second go in just after the one minute of injury time was up too... just to make it worse.

Surely the whole point of the offside rule is to prevent goal-hanging and to prevent defenders having to spend 90 minutes trying to work out what's going on behind them as well as what's in front. The current interpretation of the rule doesn't stop either thing.

Either way it cannot be right that defenders can make a judgement in one second that a player is a mile offside and one second later that same player has a tap-in.

Not good, but I really can't take anything from that game. Liverpool will slip up, and other teams will run them a lot closer, but listening to that moron palace **** on talksport now banging on about how poor we were... we might not be great, we might have helped them look good, but if you took the bottom 14 of the PL and gave them a load of away games against the best 6 or 8 teams in Europe you'd get plenty of hammerings.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

ageing hammer wrote:I just watched the goals again on ssn. ( more the pity )

I know we were terrible but we never seem to get a break from these decisions. I remember Nolan having a goal disallowed at Old Trafford for his nostril hair being offside.

These decisions are blatant and also not picked up by the biased commentators either. I am sick to the teeth of hearing commentators say it wasn't that bad a foul when one of our players is nearly cut in two yet if we brush off someone we committed murder and should be sent off straight away.

It seems the refs are adamant no one is going to dislodge the so called big boys and the TV coverage are also in on it. ( all imo )
Even more annoying when they clearly didn't need the assistance that they got.

We weren't great but it still could've been different if we'd gone in at the break just one behind, and not had a blatant goal for 3-0 given.

Only one game in and I'm already of the opinion of anyone but this lot to win the league. Hopefully they'll get done on the last day by a last-minute offside goal :thup:
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

ageing hammer wrote:I just watched the goals again on ssn. ( more the pity )

I'm convinced this is why VAR has been shelved. The big boys don't want the decisions to even out......... they've had years of getting decisions like yesterday's 3rd goal go their way
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

happydaystoytown wrote:We were pathetic and didn't give them any sort of game, when is that ever acceptable!
When one side have a much better squad, longer established and massively better funded? When their manager has been in the job for a couple of years and yours has been in place two months and has had zero competitive games?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Perhaps next season we should just not turn up - I’m sure they’ll just put it down as a home win 2-0 so possibly could work in our favour.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Georgee Paris wrote:Perhaps next season we should just not turn up - I’m sure they’ll just put it down as a home win 2-0 so possibly could work in our favour.
You could be on to something there, George.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Masuaku . He certainly cannot defend.....even his most ardent supporters admit that....
Phil S wrote:
Funny thing is he's no worse at defending than Creswell
Can't disagree Phil...

We must be one of the only clubs in the PL to have one decent defensive FB..and that's Zaba..and unfortunately he's 33-34 now I think.

In my pre season "round up" I said that we were unbalanced in that we had 2 RB's 1 LB and 3 CB's 2 of whom had never played in the PL.

Now I didn't say they were all great defenders..but that's the position that they occupy in our squad.

Quite why we buy defenders who can't actually defend, I have absolutely no clue.

Byram, Henrie (was that his name) Paintsil, Evra, Zaba, Masauku and Cresswell are/were either not very good or past their prime.. WELL past their prime...

Up until this year I think we went over that we had paid about 25M TOTAL for all the defenders that we have signed (and goalies) in the past 4-5 years. We even got our money back I would guess for Fonte.

Jussi free
Adrian free
Zaba free
Evra free
Reid 3M
Ginge 3M
Oggie 8M
Fonte 8M
Cresswell 3M
Masauku 7M
Bryam 3M

(I have rounded these figures up because I cannot remember exactly how much they were, but figure it's pretty close).

All in all it's no wonder that we usually have a negative goal difference and struggle against relegation.

The anomaly is that one year when Dimi was here and he papered over a load of cracks.

More than likely others can chuck in players that I have forgotten that also cost close to nowt.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

James P wrote:[No. Later in the season when the new manager and new players have had a little bit of time to work together, play together and forge themselves into a unit then I would fully expect us to give the top 4 sides a much greater challenge.

Getting drawn away to one of the best teams in the league on the very first day of a new season with a new manager is just a bit of a ****er really.
Exactly this, I just got home anyway.

Blinding weekend, we always loose up there, move on :crest:
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Has the rule regarding “ added time “ changed ?

One minute extra first half .. now unless the ruling has changed then time should only be extended to allow an already awarded penalty to be taken . Bang on 46 minutes the Jock left back has the ball way outside our area ... Taylor blow the ...kin whistle ..!!!! 7 seconds later GOAL ...

Remember Clive Thomas in 1978 World Cup Sweden v Brazil ?

Or is my rather over exaggerated “ clutching “ on this particular straw made me look and sound like a melt

Rules is Rules ... why do refs wait for an attack to break down or a keeper to kick a goal kick to decide that is long enough
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

The time shown on the board is the minimum amount of injury time to be played. Always has been.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

James P wrote:The time shown on the board is the minimum amount of injury time to be played. Always has been.
So ( given there are no fouls .. substitutions etc etc ) what makes a ref decide how long of is enough is it just “ Oh let’s just see if they score after this build up ?” Or I will just let them take this corner because Pogba really deserved to score with that header ?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

It’s at the ref’s discretion. You’d have to ask them all their own individual thought processes.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

James P wrote:The time shown on the board is the minimum amount of injury time to be played. Always has been.
JLCABA wrote:
So ( given there are no fouls .. substitutions etc etc ) what makes a ref decide how long of is enough
Depends on if West Ham are winning or losing, if we are winning it can be 3 or 4 mins more added on, if we are losing it is blown up bang on time.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Not having a reliable proven centre back pairing to turn to worries me (Reid & Oggy, Collins & Oggy, Tomkins & Reid) I honestly feel we will regret not bringing in a Mawson.