Liverpool 4-0 West Ham Utd (12/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread (12/8/18)

Post by mike1961 »

There was good analysis of what happened to our midfield on MOTD2. Our back 4 were in place with Noble in front of them but the rest of the midfield had migrated up the pitch at critical times leaving huge holes for Liverpool to exploit.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

DasNutNock wrote:"West Ham can f*ck off with the sign on chants. W*nkers the lot of them." said one Scouse fan before heading to the Benefits Office for the third time this week.
Yeah, because we're the only visiting team that sings that song to them...sheesh!
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

I cant believe the scousers moaning about the officials. Yes we got a few decisions in our favour (for a change) but the third goal was clear offiside which the don't seem to acknowledge.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I think the offside rule needs revising, this inactive/active thing is too grey.

Either you are offside, or you're not. You can't be offside and not offside at the same time, whether you're off in a corner of the pitch or stood in the six yard box.
mike1961 wrote:There was good analysis of what happened to our midfield on MOTD2. Our back 4 were in place with Noble in front of them but the rest of the midfield had migrated up the pitch at critical times leaving huge holes for Liverpool to exploit.
Same problem we've had for a while - there's not been anybody to knit things together from defence to attack when Noble is the player forced to drop deep and pick the ball up from the centre backs. It also forces Noble to be exposed because he basically has every attack from the opposition going through him as a first line of defence.

We need that third central midfielder. Taking Rice off meant we were under the cosh in the second half, no matter how well Snodgrass played.
Graza

Post by Graza »

sendô wrote: We would 100% be fine with it if the officials were at least being consistent and applying the rules properly.
That sir is a mighty big if. Imagine the last minute of that half was reversed and we'd scored that goal. Would it have stood? I actually think it would have, but only because the grey area of interference is so grey.

The fact that it's even debatable about how much effect him being there, ineligible to play the ball but there all the same is the problem.

I'd rather offside be offside unless a player is down or out of the field of play.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Not many teams will be nearly as good as liverpool this year. Yes we need another player in CM but Liverpool didn't really have to worry about us defensively at all yesterday because they're so effective in attack. once we gel going forward our defensive weaknesses will be far less exploited
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sicknote wrote:The game ended at 1 0 not the offside goal, Liverpool never got out of first gear and we were gash
The voice of reason.....why is it if we are discussing the match, in the match thread and we look at areas of inadequacies, are we "knee jerk,"

The worst "knee jerk" I have seen here is "Hope he fixes it." Well I hope he does. If we weren't asking for this we must be the most blind, C & B spectacled fans going.

We saw what went on. I can't remember too many people saying "If only he had done this, or that, or played so and so, we might have won."

If someone has it is most definitely a one off and not loads of people pushing the panic button.

The game DID end at 1-0 and we WERE gash. Quite how anyone can deny that I have no clue. It is not knee jerking it's stating a fact.

The same problems we saw last year (and pretty much the year before) we acres of space in our midfield. Players running at will past our midfield trio and finding loads of space and scoring loads of goals. I see that we are giving everyone a pass by saying that it was Liverpool and they might win the title (they might) and that they have a settled team (they do) and that we brought in 10 new players (we did) but Oggie, Masuaku, Rice, Noble, Antonio and Arnie all played last year. We had 6 or 7 pre season games (against pretty pisspoor opponents) to prepare for a fixture that came out long ago. We saw the "warning" signs even then, have mentioned that the need for a DM was paramount. We signed one last minute. Now either we didn't need one so didn't sign one, or we did need one and failed to get one soon enough to integrate him into our squad. And/or failed to get a top top top one.

Now this is just my opinion and others might have mentioned it too !!

:)

No one has said that dreaded word FACT.

They are all only opinions based on what we saw and I would gladly discuss the same things down the pub. I don't feel I am being "knee jerk" - I and many others are posting our opinions based on what we saw and are discussing it.

So please don't talk down to me like I haven't a clue what i am talking about. I and many others post our opinions based on being fans and watching games. No we're not paid professionals but it doesn't mean that we are talking out of our collective arses. PLease don't tell me that I am.

Well not in this case anyway, but they'll be loads of other times when you are spot on.

But not today.

8-)
Last edited by Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

hammer1975 wrote:Anyone remember the Christmas/new year game against Arsenal at the Boleyn where we had a goal ruled out for offside as Song (I think) was standing in the middle of the goal and deemed offside as the ball passed closely by him?

Rule is a joke
An absolute joke, Song hit it on the half volley from outside the area and it went through a load of players, Carroll and another WH player were offside but didn't touch the ball as it passed them. When a rule is so heavily decided by interpretation it will always be contentious. I remember Lineker later on MOTD saying the decision was "clear as mud". Arsenal also got a very soft penalty against Reid who was on the ground when Sanchez theatrically tripped over him.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Lets be honest, Liverpool are a class team and with Keita they looked even better. They press so high and panic people into playing a pass off, there wont be many other teams who do that. When we have more time on the ball and a little more composure we will be fine.

Rice didn't have a good game yesterday because he was pressed so hard, and as I said before I don't think he has the composure yet to play smart. Same could actually be said of Noble, lost count the amount of times he had no option but to play a high floaty ball up forward that came straight back. Antionio.... well if we have options out wide he now has to be the last option surely? cannot keep hold of the ball and has no direct impact.

The high line actually surprised me, I didn't think Pell boy would use that here especially against Liverpool but I admire the fact he stuck with it. You could tell it was a fairly new tactic for them but it will pay off in the long term.

I don't like losing full stop, I especially don't like losing when we don't put up a fight but sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit you were beaten by a better team.

****ing hated the Sky love in for Liverpool before the game though. £250m spent on Keita and this summer window and they are the plucky underdogs, we spend £100m and the pressure is on.....
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

The goals all seemed to have the same last moment, Liverpool players moving onto the ball and West Ham defenders static. The first at the death Arthur lets Sala run off him, the second the whole defense stops at the high line and Milner doesn't. The third, apart from an offside that only the lino of everyone watching missed but again a static defensive line and and no pressure on the Liverpool passer. The last again no movement from us and Sturridge moves towards the ball and our defender doesn't.
Simple stuff which would have been meat and drink to Collins.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

YorksHammer wrote:I think the offside rule needs revising, this inactive/active thing is too grey.
When it came in I thought the whole point of it was not chalking off perfectly good goals because of someone on the other side of the pitch in an offside position but not interfering with play.

The trouble is, much like the whole "there was contact therefore it was a foul" thing, not touching the ball automatically seems to be not interfering with play, unless you are deemed to block the keepers view.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Did anybody else think yesterday, we not only looked crap in midfield, but crap at the back and crap up front too?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:Did anybody else think yesterday, we not only looked crap in midfield, but crap at the back and crap up front too?
Think Sicknote might have mentioned it...

8-)
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Puff Daddy wrote:Did anybody else think yesterday, we not only looked crap in midfield, but crap at the back and crap up front too?
Thats usually the case with most drubbings isn’t it ?
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Positives

Fabianski
Anderson

Negatives

Rice
Noble
Antonio (How bad has he become!)
Match Officials

On to Bournemouth now........
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

sendô wrote:I do not understand how anyone can possibly interpret the rule such that a player standing in the 6 yard box is not interfering with play.
Totally agree

Throughout the entire move, Firmino was stood in an offside position, and although he didn't attempt to go for any balls, he is clearly bothering the goalkeeper.

To put into context, if Liverpool had a free kick 30 yards from goal, and we had a wall and all defenders outside of the area, and Firmino was stood where he was yesterday, if the ball was shot into the centre of the goal (where Mane scored), it would almost certainly be ruled out for Firmino interfering with the keepers line of sight.

As for the 3rd goal, what a joke. No wonder the big boys don't like VAR, they wouldn't get half the decisions they get now
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

We can all thank Big Sam for this ....

Anyone remember his Bolton teams when the law was in it's infancy, when they had a free kick outside the box he would line up at least 2 players beyond the wall standing about 5 yards offside. They weren't "interfering" with play and would step towards the defenders as soon as or just before the ball was kicked.

Now my memory might be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember it as clear as day and the commentators scratching their collective heads at all this...then the rule have been amended as time went on, but they are still as clear as mud..

3rd goal definitely offside. 2nd - no, not in the strictest sense, but again refs and linos have been giving or not giving these - benefit was always supposed to go to the attacking sides but I can hardly remember one instance where this has been the case....
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: 3rd goal definitely offside. 2nd - no, not in the strictest sense, but again refs and linos have been giving or not giving these
Ref has to give it for me. Lino has done the right thing as it is not offside if you apply the rules to the letter. But the ref, out there in the middle of the action, has to be able to spot the fact that Firmino standing where he is has caused confusion and had an affect on the outcome of the attack.

Either way it is not worth going over and over, we were well beaten with or without the offside goals.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Sutts

Firmino wasn't interfering with play in the "first phase" and they were both behind the ball when Milner played it so they couldn't be offside in the "second phase."

Our problem was giving up on the ball figuring that it was going to go out, but some 34 year old didn't.

As for the rest your'e spot on...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

personally think there should be change in the rule that says you are offsidee if standing in an offside position in the opponents penalty box

The whole interfering/ not interfering thing is fine for outside the box, but in the penalty box you are offside, regardless of what you are doing