West Ham Utd 1-2 Bournemouth (18/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Bournemouth: match thread (18/8)

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rio wrote:I’ve long had suspicions about certain staff members and those have not been quelled as of yet
Que?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2701 likes

Post by sendô »

That first goal should really be one of the best goals ever scored in the premier league if he's picking it up just inside our half, completely isolated and surrounded by 5 West Ham players but still managed to go past 3, leave the other 2 for dead and score an equaliser, but the reality all he did was turn, run in a straight line for 30 yards and then stick it past the keeper.

I'd honestly have all 5 of them in early tomorrow morning running laps around Rush Green. And I dont mean the training pitch.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

sendô wrote:That first goal should really be one of the best goals ever scored in the premier league if he's picking it up just inside our half, completely isolated and surrounded by 5 West Ham players but still managed to go past 3, leave the other 2 for dead and score an equaliser, but the reality all he did was turn, run in a straight line for 30 yards and then stick it past the keeper.

I'd honestly have all 5 of them in early tomorrow morning running laps around Rush Green. And I dont mean the training pitch.
Balbeuna's effort at a tackle really was laughable. Did he give himself that "General" nickname? At least Ginger Pele would have taken the man as well.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

sendô wrote:
:lol:
Graza

Post by Graza »

smuts wrote: Balbeuna's effort at a tackle really was laughable. Did he give himself that "General" nickname? At least Ginger Pele would have taken the man as well.
It was an absolutely woeful challenge. There's no danger at that point and all the others seems to be content just to shepard him away, a half challenge later and Ogbonna is taken out of it leaving him one on one with Zabaletta, who lunges in irresponsibily for someone of his experience.

If you make that challenge you make sure that ball and man both end up on the half way line.

More disappointing for me though was that we were losing the midfield battle and we didn't change. There were central options on the bench but we waited and waited. Just as last week the offside trap had failed but we persisted. That is more worrying than the loss.
sxreject1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sxreject1 »

So many different nationalities in the defence they probably can't string a sentence between them...the only english needed was "shut the **** down and put a tackle in"...its not hard is it
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

That attempted tackle was one of the most embarrassing things I have seen on the field of play for a long while. As you say, Zabaleta and Ogbonna were in half decent positions but fully expected 'The General' to just smash him up in the air, not dangle out a powder puff leg.
Zabaleta should have done better as well after that, but that tackle was a disgrace
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:That attempted tackle was one of the most embarrassing things I have seen on the field of play for a long while. As you say, Zabaleta and Ogbonna were in half decent positions but fully expected 'The General' to just smash him up in the air, not dangle out a powder puff leg.
Zabaleta should have done better as well after that, but that tackle was a disgrace
All Balbuena had to do was block him off, by positioning himself between Wilson and the ball. He would have picked up a yellow for this, but take one for the team. What surprises me even more is, Italian defenders first learn this in the ****ing school playground and do this week in, week out in Serie 'A' and Oggy would have done this thousands of times himself, so how come he forgot himself on Saturday ?
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Thought Bournemouth were excellent in the 2nd half. Front 2 were a joy to watch. Thoroughly deserved the win.

1st half we were ok, Cherries still had the better chance and could have easily been level.

A very dubious penalty, the moody Mexican lesbian doing what he does best ….. feigning to gain an advantage. Class.

At 2-1 I never felt we’d get back into the game, we have some real attacking prowess but there is little cohesion. We need to carry more of threat, especially at home. 3 of Bournemouths back 4 were playing in Div 4 not that long ago, would have expected us to stretch them more.

Now I like MP and considered it something of coup when he signed. As others have stated though – the same underlying problems still exist and I’d question how much of us he saw last season. No awareness of the players. We don’t have the full backs to play a flat back 4, nor do we have the midfield or centre backs. The tactics don’t fit the players skill set either it would seem.

Most alarming for me is the lack of fitness, there was no pressure on the ball, all this guff pre-season about pace and yet we seem slower and more ponderous than ever.

As for working out our best system? I would have hoped that the transfer strategy considered this when we were panic buying in July. Not sure how much thought has gone into the likes of Fredericks, Sanchez, Balbeuna, Perez etc. We’ve needed DM cover for an age and end with a 32year old on deadline day with Obiang sitting on the bench. I’ll admit to being confused by selection, the team has little identity – I hear a lot about how we want to play but see little evidence of it.

A few weeks back, most were creaming themselves about the transfer activity. I honestly don’t feel our business was as good as what was made out. I look at the squad and see many deficiencies, worryingly down the spine. I don’t for one minute believe we’ll be in any danger but the expectation from the fans won’t correlate to performances or final league position. Just coz we belated spunked some TV money doesn’t fix all the self-inflicted problems of the last 3 years.

I’d urge the fans to show realism and a degree of patience, we’ve got a difficult start to the season and it’s not inconceivable that we’ll be languishing around where we are now come the end of September. Of course a transition will take time, however it should be phased and sequenced properly. We’ve got some decent players but without effort their merely average. It all looks a bit unbalanced and fragmented. Those that believe we’re heading for the top 6 or close are going to end up disappointed.

Always been a massive Noble fan but have grown a little tired of him being used as stooge in front of the media. The poor comments about last pre-season look very silly now. He tires into the 2nd period and though I feel he still has a lot to offer, we need to strike the right balance in midfield.

I didn’t buy into this transfer window, only Yarmalenko and Anderson seemed like ‘next level’ signings though I’m not use how much research was done, especially into the later. The last 3 seasons we have ultimately over achieved, unlike Bournemouth there’s no building block or framework ….. we could learn a thing or two off them.

Nothing I have seen so far has surprised me, still maintain it will end on tears with Pellegrini, hope I’m proved wrong but the root cause of the clubs problems still exist.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

I keep seeing five outfield players are to blame for their first goal. I could only see 4. Who were the five?
Graza

Post by Graza »

sxreject1 wrote:So many different nationalities in the defence they probably can't string a sentence between them...the only english needed was "shut the **** down and put a tackle in"...its not hard is it
I took a mate with me in Saturday as my old man couldn't make it. About 10 in the ball was in midfield and he said to me "look how much better organized their back line is than yours". Their back line was flat watching their men and talking. We had Ogbonna 3 yards behind and miles away from Balbuena, Noble had dropped to about 2 yards in front of then in between, Zabaletta and Masuaku were just stood on the half way line either side doing nothing of note. Last year after we had switched to the 3 we had Rice Ogbonna and Cresswell usually in line and talking. Saturday no one was in charge, no one was marshalling the line or taking responsibility and it's little wonder we coughed up the chances we did.

It was the same against the bin dippers where the line was ragged and no one was bellowing at the others to make them straighten up. We miss Reid as that is the role he normally takes.

Rice and Ogbonna for me in the next game, and if Zabaletta is playing again someone needs to tell him to stay at home until the closing stages.
Graza

Post by Graza »

OnePaulHilton wrote:I keep seeing five outfield players are to blame for their first goal. I could only see 4. Who were the five?
Noble and Wheelchair were just behind Wilson and didn't exactly bust a gut to get back, Ogbonna, Balbuena and Zabaletta we're in front. If those three can't marshal some one of Wilson's "quality" then they shouldn't be in a premier league defense. It might just be that they are new to each other still, being played in a different way to last year? We will see over the season.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

If we're going to play Noble and Wilshire as a midfield 2, and have Arthur at left back, it's going to be a very long season, even once our forward players get into gear.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Good post "The Sheriff"... :thup:

I thought we were lucky not to lose by more on Saturday, It was a poor performance, but again, we need patience.

However, i cant see how we can set up a team with only really three defenders!?

Zab's legs went a few years ago and although his positional play helps him out a lot, its pretty easy to knock a ball pass him and leave him for dead, like their first goal.

Rocky and Oggs are developing an understanding and need a few more games together. And Mass...well...he is NOT a defender and just kept getting into Anderson's way or running into his lines. Again, learning from each other is good and in time them two could be lethal, but they have no cover at the moment.

How can you not play with a defensive holding midfielder or even two, in the Premier League is puzzling. Sanchez may not have been match fit, but what about Obiang?

Personally, i would like to see Diop in a back three, so he can learn from Rocky and Oggs, with at least one of Sanchez/Rice/Obiang sitting in front of them, allowing us to play Mass and Fred as they will be covered...but Pellers has his way of playing and we have to give him time to produce.

Wilshere and Noble look like the terrible twins...they need help as they both cant get around and both seem knackered all the time. Obiang would have done the dirty work and harassed them on Saturday.

Once at 1v2 it was all over...there was no way we would come back....Yarmo looked good when he came on, but there just wasnt enough attempts at goal...how many times did Zab get to the byline and find the first defender instead of a claret shirt!?...and when needing a goal, why was Chic taken off?

We need to move on but it will be interesting to see the line up for the next Premier League game as most players should be "settled" in by then and Pellers would have more time on the training field to develop the team..
Last edited by Doyley72 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

Bring back Kevin Nolan when all was right with the world.

I miss the days when we actually turned up to a game and showed a bit of bottle
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

Football aint half bizarre. half way though the season clubs change bring in a new manager and often get instant success. Change in the summer we have to give them time to get the message accross :?

Are they not professional footballers? They shouldn't need a new manager to tell them where to stand and how or when to pass the ball. yes they have a new system and new tactics but when it comes to simply picking a pass, making yourself available for the ball or tracking a man it should be second nature to them and it's these basics we seem to be lacking are they perhaps over complicating things trying too hard to stick to the managers instructions rather than taking some of their own initiative?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

So disappointed with us.

Fairly even first half and great to get our nose in front despite them having the better chances.... then just an absolute no show in the second half.

Yes Bournemouth were at it and clearly wanted it more, but we just went into our shell.

There were so many players who under performed, to tell the truth it is only really Wilshere and Fabianski who I'd say actually played well. I'd give a credible mention to Zabaleta and Masuaku too, Zaba looke dto be our most solid defender and Masuaku had some great breaks forward.

Balbuena just looks terrible. Way off the pace of the Premier League and can't possibly be better than Diop. He isn't even as good as Ginge was. Why we signed him as opposed to giving Ginge another year is absolutely beyond me.

Ogbonna looked to be carrying a knock and again was way off the pace. Constantly lost his man and took his eye off the game.

Noble was steady enough in the first half but as soon as the game became stretched in the second half, he had runners all over the place. He simply cannot play in a two man midfield (not many in the Prem can to be honest) and we desperately need to find a DCM to sit in there with him. We have been saying that since Song left the club.

Anderson has a very long way to go and will need to toughen up both mentally and physically very quickly. He was allowing runner to come pouring forward time after time, something that Wilshere pointed out in no uncertain terms. I actually think a free role in the middle might suit him better as it does Lanzini.

Snodgrass is a frustrating one as the ability is clearly there, but the application isn't. A lot of huff and puff from him but no real quality. Yarmalenko had a much greater impact in the limited time he had on the pitch.

Hernandez and Arnautovic didn't offer nearly enough up top and the comparison between our front two and the two up top for Bournemouth was just embarrassing. King and Wilson work their nuts off and force mistakes. Our front two barley offered anything.

Obviously it is very early days and you only have to look at Palace last season to see how drastically a season can change once things do click into place. I appreciate that the new man is working hard to build something and has a set way of playing but I am not convinced that our squad are able to play that way or even lends itself to those tactics.

Must try harder.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Doyley72 wrote:Rocky and Oggs are developing an understanding
Are they??
I think Balbuena is dragging Ogbonna down personally.

For my two penny worth, we should be looking to play Diop or Rice with Ogbonna and Cresswell in a back three with Fredericks and Masuaku as wing backs for our home games.

Away from home or against one of the big boys (home or away), we need to be a lot more solid so i'd look at Zabaleta, Diop, Ogbonna and Creswell in a solid four. No bombing on, just focus on defending.

With both of those line ups you absolutely have to have at least one out and out defensive minded midfielder sitting in front of them. Why on earth we are not using Obiang is beyond me. Wilshere and Noble would have so much more freedom if they had Obiang sat behind them too.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

My take on it was that we tried cramming too much into the attack and lost balance, especially in centre midfield. If we'd sacrificed one attacker (Hernandez) and had three midfielders (two + Wilshere) we would have been better at holding the ball and not leaving glaring holes. Playing Sanchez or Rice behind Noble and Wilshere in a 4-1-2-3
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

"Are they??
I think Balbuena is dragging Ogbonna down personally."

I mean't that they are trying to build a partnership...learning the strengths and weakness of each others play...for me, centre of defence and if playing two up front, should never be played about with and given time to develop so they can gain an understanding and know where each other is without looking up....it takes time and it certainly isnt there yet....but they are not being helped with a left back that is a winger and doesnt stay goal side and the lack of a defensive midfielder to stop the runners coming through...

Pellers has a big squad to play with...he needs to find the right format and stick with it...
Last edited by Doyley72 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.