CCR2: Wimbledon 1-3 West Ham Utd (28/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Re: AFC Wimbledon v West Ham Utd: match thread (28/8)

Post by brothernero »

I find that somewhat sad to be honest (Sad in the proper sense of the word I must add, not in the insulting way)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:
Many posters on here have voiced disapproval and dissatisfaction at previous managers' playing understrength teams in cup competitions ...and I believe we will make a concerted effort in both cup competitions
That's not really the point, concerning Dylan Tombides, but, whatever, I will say in response that I am pretty sure that Arnautovic, our best player, will not be risked, so any team will be understrength.

The question is one of degree. Wolves will not stop trying to work goalscoring opportunity, for 90+ minutes this Saturday and defeat to them would be a serious blow (they and Bournemouth are surely teams we're targeting, at home, for points). We can't just forget about that, because a diverting cup game happens first. We need, I suppose, to sensibly plan for both.

I would be personally content to give starts to players who have (had) limited opportunities. Cullen did a very good job in the division Wimbledon ply their trade, what, 2 years ago? He and Mr Forgotten, err, Obiang, should be able to start a game without people writing them off as 'weakened' or under-strengthen...especially given the less than dominant start that some of the high earners in the squad have had this season.

Rice needs time on the pitch too.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

brothernero wrote:I find that somewhat sad to be honest (Sad in the proper sense of the word I must add, not in the insulting way)
If we go down our income stream takes a huge hit, we will not be able to sustain the wages for players bought this summer and next season and our team will look completely unrecognisable. Thereby lies the reason previous managers have had to make the decisions in cup competitions that they have
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Well that and being told that their job depended on it...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Well that and being told that their job depended on it...
Yes, that too
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Not really my point Puff.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

If a team gets relegated they lose their best players so cannot compete seriously in cup competitions. It's not 1980 any more.This year we have a bigger squad so should be able to put out a decent team
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

brothernero wrote:Not really my point Puff.
Look mate, you are not alone, many others on here feel exactly the same way as you. There is not one of us, however, who would not be elated should we actually win something, although kinder draws at least in the earlier rounds of cup competitions, with home ties for a change, would considerably improve our chances. In the wider scheme of things, however, purely from a financial standpoint, continued membership of the Premier League is more important than winning a cup and not the other way round, as much as I would love it to be otherwise
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

There are several players who need pitch time...

Antonio and Arnie hurt for Saturday...

Obian has had zero time..none...Sanchez limited minutes - 90 so far (or thereabouts), Perez next to none, and Yarmolenko very few in the context of it..

Only way to get match fit is to play matches...

Have a mix of kids on the bench so if we DO get 3 goals to the good, they can get some time....problem in the past is that we have chucked all of the kids on at the same time and expected them to perform.

Mix and match.......

IF Cresswell is fit he must get some minutes, either 60 or come on for the last 30-40.

Rice has to get some minutes somewhere..he played 30 odd games last year so can't be figured in with the less than full strength team.

Diop could use a game to get back his confidence but pair him with some experience not together with Rice.

Too many changes and it gets sloppy. We have 2 enforced changes and players who need minutes. Perez and Yarmolenko must start.

Wouldn't hurt to give Adrian a game, he is a good keeper and again isn't a youth off the u-23's.

We have a much better bigger squad this season so there isn't a reason to chuck all of the kids out to start.

AND give the opposition a right thrashing !!!!!!!
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:
Have a word ? Losing, especially continous losing, shatters confidence and lowers morale. So, should we lose this one, we could also lose our next four after this one as well. That would then become nought from eight and heaven only knows what our goals deficit will be then. Or put another way, we will then have 30 matches left in which to get 40 points and I wonder what team moracle and player confidence will be like then ? I don't know for sure, but I think it very likely no team in the history of the Premier League has ever beaten the drop with start like that, but I'm sure somebody will be looking up the stats tonight
And chopping the first team again will breed confidence will it? We are playing AFC Wimbledon, no disrespect but it ain't exactly Liverpool or Citeh is it. Yes we COULD lose our next four, but we COULD win our next four...but none of us know what is going to happen. And you made my point for me...'should we lose this one' as you say, and the best way not to lose is to play your strongest team. And 40 points is a myth...realistically, between 33 and 36 keeps you up. And remember...there is always a first time :thup:

You really are a glass half empty kinda guy ain't ya! Cheer up, yes it hasn't been a great start but it is still August, and no one has ever got relegated in this month as far as I am aware.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

simon hammer wrote:
And chopping the first team again will breed confidence will it? We are playing AFC Wimbledon, no disrespect but it ain't exactly Liverpool or Citeh is it. Yes we COULD lose our next four, but we COULD win our next four...but none of us know what is going to happen. And you made my point for me...'should we lose this one' as you say, and the best way not to lose is to play your strongest team. And 40 points is a myth...realistically, between 33 and 36 keeps you up. And remember...there is always a first time :thup:

You really are a glass half empty kinda guy ain't ya! Cheer up, yes it hasn't been a great start but it is still August, and no one has ever got relegated in this month as far as I am aware.
You put forward a convincing argument that you are right and I am wrong, so yeah, let's go with your theory
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Ah come now, who knows who is right and who is wrong! Time will tell, and if it is you (and we get relegated) then a tenner goes to the bmf from me.

And it was purely contradiction really, not convincing at all but merely pointing out an opposite point of view.

:thup:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Wouldn't be a West Ham fan if I weren't a tad nervous for tomorrow. Just win ffs and get some confidence going, even if it is Wimbledon in the cup.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

first of two wins this week to finally have lift off for MP

several team selection issues but whatever it is we need to win this one to build confidence. imagine we lose to them. bottom of the league and out of a cup then we face a confident wolves team.

win this and onto wolves.

any doubt on arnie then we should rest him and let him recover over international break. we need him for the tough games after the break so if he has to miss one then so be it.

3-0 tonight to the super hammers !
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

brothernero wrote:CUP each and ever time for me. If we go down, who really cares, been there done that. Life is not all about the poxy premier League. Best you could ever really hope for now in the PL is 7th place. Big whoop.

However many of us have still not seen us win a cup. I know what I would prefer.
There are no short cuts to winning a cup beyond utter flukes. The best way, and in my opinion only true way to realistically win a cup is to establish yourself as a top Premier League side. The FA Cup is almost the exclusive preserve of top six sides. The League Cup has a little more variance but is still generally won by sides who win more matches than they lose.

There is this notion that we can be an 11th-16th place PL side but "focus on the cups" and that will deliver a trophy in our cabinet. It's a flawed strategy. The best way to put yourself in a real position to lift some silverware is to do the groundwork and build a fundamentally strong, well-performing Premier League side.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Really hope we take this seriously and don't gamble on giving all the kids a run out, it's cost us so many times in the past. We need a convincing win.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

My team for tonight:

Adrian, Zabaleta, Diop, Balbuena, Cresswell, Obiang, Rice, Yarmolenko, Cullen, Snodgrass, Perez.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

---------------- Adrian-------------------
Zaba - - Rice - - Diop - - Cress
------- Obiang - - Cullen ---------
Yarm - - - Perez - - - Masuaku
----------- Hernandez -------------

:scarfer:
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Definitely not one for the kids but certainly a chance to get game time for underused players like Obiang and Cresswell.
I think this lot would be solid and do the job.

Adrian
Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Creswell
Sanchez Rice
Obiang
Perez Snodgrass
Hernandez

Bring on Yermo at some point for game time.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

id like to see this team tonight

a mixture of getting an understanding going and getting some minutes under the belt

------------------Adrian

Zabelleta--Diop---Balbuena--Cresswell

--------------Obiang---Rice

Yermo----------Perez-------Holland

------------------Hernandez