CCR2: Wimbledon 1-3 West Ham Utd (28/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Re: AFC Wimbledon v West Ham Utd: match thread (28/8)

Post by BondsoBob »

]

1998 surely?[/quote]

It was indeed. I thought at half time we were going to get 6 or 7. Just how wrong can you be ? :lol:
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

sendô wrote:What a win. That'll live long in the memory. Smashed em. Let's not forget these lot beat the mighty Liverpool in the cup final. £100m well spent etc.
Well yes. But that was 30 years ago..... :?
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote: I think Hernadez is finished, he has lost a yard of pace/reaction,
And yet he still did it at the World Cup. He's far from finished he's just turned 30.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

hammerman11 wrote:MP will be happy and his selections are getting sorted.
Adrian messed up for the goal so Fabianski starts on Saturday
zabaleta had a good game and reliable as always
diop is improving and a great strike
ogbonna still looks shaky to me. him or Balbuena to partner diop
cresswell got a good run out but little tackles in. masuaka got an assist in the few minutes he was there.
rice played well in midfield
obiang was poor
yarmlenko got better but not ready for premier league start yet
Snodgrass had a good game and motm for me. good crosses and great effort. starts on Saturday
Hernandez kept going nd got his goal. still flatters to deceive.
Anderson looks good in central role. starts as CAM
Antonio has got over his injury

in the past we would have lost this game as we would have launched it in the air to carroll or whoever. good to see us play on the ground. need to speed it up a bit but we are getting better each game.
Fact you've missed out Perez from your assessment underlines how invisible he was :D
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Patito wrote: And yet he still did it at the World Cup. He's far from finished he's just turned 30.
One goal in four games? Mina scored more playing CB, Inui and even Khazri
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think the point is that in the four games at WC he never stopped running and hardly looked like a player who is 'past it'
Graza

Post by Graza »

I'm surprised to see people digging out Adrian for their goal, Ogbonna lost his man completely, didn't compete for the ball and fair play to the lad he generated some serious power. Given how close and hard it was I thought he did well to get a hand to it. It was however the only thing he had to do all night.

Hernandez having a relapse of his inner ear infection sort of helped and sort of held us back. We looked wobbly at the back against the bombardment style of attack they were employing and it could have ended in tears, but them turtling up and asking us to break them down isn't something we've done well in recent years.

Yarmalenko was in the game a lot but he looks less than fully sharp for me. I'm not writing him off but he looked like he hadn't had a pre season and hasn't adjusted to the English game yet, all his decisions seems to be half a second slow and so his passes in the box were to defenders.

I forgot Perez was playing for large spells of the game in both halves.

Anderson on for Obiang was the turning point though, they weren't going to attack so putting him on to give us more options and ideas up top made a world of difference. Not to say that Obiang was playing badly just that Anderson was the right choice for the second half. Pellegrini likes a half time sub to change the team. Such a shame he didn't do it against Bournemouth...

Snodgrass was in the play a lot as well, not sure I'm sold on his quality but none can doubt his industry. Some of his corners were awful, especially compared to the dangerous ones Cresswell was putting in front the other side. For me much like Zabaletta for me, im not convinced they are good enough for the first eleven but know they will put a shift in.

All in though it was good to see the team keep going and eventually breaking them down to get the win. 1-3 slightly flattered us but I think we deserved the win. Had it stayed at 11 v 11 it would have been a very different game, and while I believe it probably would have ended the same if they'd got that second before half time perhaps not.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

sendô wrote:What a win. That'll live long in the memory. Smashed em. Let's not forget these lot beat the mighty Liverpool in the cup final. £100m well spent etc.
BondsoBob wrote: Well yes. But that was 30 years ago..... :?
Look! Up there! Do you see that? It's the joke. Sailing over your head.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Perez was so awful and Hernandez isn’t much better
Patito

Post by Patito »

fmgod wrote:
One goal in four games? Mina scored more playing CB, Inui and even Khazri
Did you not watch him play then? I take it every player who only scored one is ***** as well then? Are you trying to say Inui and Khazri are better players? He ran himself into the ground in the match against Germany and looked lethal every time they went forward, even setting up the winning goal. But yeah, he's 'finished'. :asleep:
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Creswell starts Saturday ... Yeah ?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Marky wrote:Perez was so awful and Hernandez isn’t much better

agree with that , both were pretty ineffectual last night , hoping perez comes good , dont think hernandez offers this team anything .

i thought we really played quite well , didnt panic & a million miles away from the same type of game under bilic last year .
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Not sure what else we could do to win that last night, great substitutions at the right time. Adding players into the wide areas for the overload, creating lots of crossing opportunities only thing lacking was the cutting edge but this was more down to the cross than Hernandez apparently being past it ....

The pattern was similar to the Arsenal game where we made the wrong choices at the crucial moment - pulling the ball back against a crowded goalmouth from wide positions is better than firing it into the 6 yard box.

Wimbledon defended for their lives but ultimately paid for it.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I think the point is that in the four games at WC he never stopped running and hardly looked like a player who is 'past it'
Produced the most intelligent bit of play we saw in the first half aswell. Some people just do not seem to like him.

Glad we’ve kept him, a fantastic player. Nowhere near ‘past it’.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

pezza20 wrote:Not sure what else we could do to win that last night, great substitutions at the right time. Adding players into the wide areas for the overload, creating lots of crossing opportunities only thing lacking was the cutting edge but this was more down to the cross than Hernandez apparently being past it ....

The pattern was similar to the Arsenal game where we made the wrong choices at the crucial moment - pulling the ball back against a crowded goalmouth from wide positions is better than firing it into the 6 yard box.

Wimbledon defended for their lives but ultimately paid for it.
From the 30 minutes I saw, the bit in bold was exactly what the problem was.

We got round the back so many times but then were unable to pick out a player. Of course, this can be difficult when the entire opposition is in their own box, so need to mix it up a bit and pull it back to the edge of the box

Think how many times opposition teams score against us from a pull back to the edge of the box and an unmarked midfielder firing home
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

[quote="il_martello_di_genovesi"]
Produced the most intelligent bit of play we saw in the first half aswell. Some people just do not seem to like him.

Glad we’ve kept him, a fantastic player. Nowhere near ‘past it’.[/quote]

Unbelievable anyone could even say it ..even jokingly
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

Look! Up there! Do you see that? It's the joke. Sailing over your head.
Not really much of a 'joke', but yes, far too subtle for me mate. :eh:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

sendô wrote:. Let's not forget these lot beat the mighty Liverpool in the cup final.
No they didn't. That was Wimbledon FC, now known as MK Dons.
This is a new team that existed concurrently with Wimbledon FC and that has never played in Merton.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Funny how we all see games differently i thought Perez was one of our best players last night, if we had people that could finish i thought he would have 2 or 3 assists.
Also dont see how we struggled against Wimbledon even before the sending off we dominated them, i just think we have an awful defence, not sure why Adrian getting so much flack for the goal, yes he should probably off tipped it over but yet again another playing getting a free header and only the defence can be blamed for that.

Worst player was little pea, i said it last season and i say it this he is poor and offers us little, i kind of wanted us to play Antonio as a striker i thought he could have been much more influential than the mexican.

A wins a win and going forward we look good almost like the Payet day but with no one to score goals, but at the back i just cant see us keeping a clean sheet.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Some people just do not seem to like him. Glad we’ve kept him, a fantastic player. Nowhere near ‘past it’.
I've no opinion on his likeability but he doesn't do enough for me to warrant a first team spot.

A fantastic finisher, I'll give you.
Crossd_Hammrs wrote:No they didn't. That was Wimbledon FC, now known as MK Dons.
I imagine sendo's beginning to wonder why he bothered... :)