CCR2: Wimbledon 1-3 West Ham Utd (28/08/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: AFC Wimbledon v West Ham Utd: match thread (28/8)

Post by the pink palermo »

No easy games in this country.

Mugged for their goal but thats how the game is played at their level.

Great strike by Diop for his goal. Great effort by snoddy and Yarmo showed us glimpses of his potential.

Anderson when he came on looked totally at ease on the ball. One of the few we have who can play with his head up.

In the end comfortable but they made us work for it.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

Rocket wrote:The fans in our end chanting 'Milton Keynes' need to have a word with themselves.
I thought that was very funny.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Gazzaloz wrote:I thought that was very funny.
Embarrassing.

We complain about what GSB have done to us... they had to start an entirely new club because theirs was completely destroyed by Peter Winkelman. We don't sing about Liverpool when we play Everton, Newcastle when we play Sunderland, etc... why sing about Franchise FC against Wimbledon? What those fans and that club have achieved in such a short space of time should be applauded and we should focus our efforts on supporting our own team.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Great sub from Pellegrini to bring Anderson on. He changed the game, his eye for a pass was exceptional and he should definitely be played through the middle in the future.
Yep...he needs to be accommodated in the centre. He constantly looked for the ball and looking to be positive with it straight away.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

They were singing Karren Brady’s name first (among other things), I think the MK Dons chants were a bit of retaliation banter. I’m sure most of us who were there tonight respect what they’ve achieved.

Just looking at the stats, 40 crosses attempted! Frustrating it took a while but it was great to watch us dominate a team for 85+ minutes.

Need to be more clinical and at times less one dimensional but the signs are good.

Thanks to the Hammer on here who sorted me my ticket after I was unsuccessful in the AST ballot.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I only saw the 2nd half but Chicarito was far from invisible during that I thought. Put in a shift in a congested area and finally got his reward right at the death.

Entertaining match overall. Well, the 2nd half was. :D
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Rocket wrote: Embarrassing.
Perhaps Kingstonian would be more appropriate then? Let’s not pretend it’s poor old Wimbledon...considering they’ve helped force another club out of their own home.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Happy with the result and performance, it's very easy to sit here and say its only Wimbledon but let's be honest we have history of going out against teams like this. A well needed win for confidence, only disappointing thing was not seeing Hernandez get on the end of one of the many balls drilled across the middle. I thought that was his forte?
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Rocket wrote: We complain about what GSB have done to us... they had to start an entirely new club because theirs was completely destroyed by Peter Winkelman. We don't sing about Liverpool when we play Everton, Newcastle when we play Sunderland, etc... why sing about Franchise FC against Wimbledon? What those fans and that club have achieved in such a short space of time should be applauded and we should focus our efforts on supporting our own team.
I do appreciate what Wimbledon have had to do but come on, it's just banter as Richard Keys would say. Let us not throw our toys out the pram over a chant, we get mocked week in week out at the OS for it being a ****hole stadium, it's just banter.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Bit of a trek, but enjoyed the Old Boys’ Jolly Up. Not many people with any hair in our end.

It was your archetypal lower league v West Ham game. I went to Torquay, Newport, Stockport, Kidderminster and back again in the first hour.

Then Anderson came on. I increasingly like the look of him. Sure it was AFC, but to see him determined and playing his game at this level was possibly a better sign than at Arsenal. He seems to have the spirit and the pass.

Difficult to drop Snodgrass on form, he was another up for the fight. Great to see him in from the cold. When he took a corner 6 feet from me, I told him ‘f*** the chairman, my kids love you’ which I think he smiled at.

Missed the words to the Karren Brady song from them. Hope it catches on whatever.

Another obscure away draw please.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Until we scored I was wondering why

a) no one seemed to want to take their players on

b) why is no one really shooting from around the box

Then Diop hit one :D
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I didn't hear their fans singing about Brady. If it was a pro-Brady song then yes, the MK chants make more sense - but when I asked a few of ours why they were singing about MK they didn't mention any Brady song. Yes, if you want to have a go at Wimbledon, bringing up Kingstonian would be the way to go, but I imagine this would go over too many people's heads.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

MP will be happy and his selections are getting sorted.
Adrian messed up for the goal so Fabianski starts on Saturday
zabaleta had a good game and reliable as always
diop is improving and a great strike
ogbonna still looks shaky to me. him or Balbuena to partner diop
cresswell got a good run out but little tackles in. masuaka got an assist in the few minutes he was there.
rice played well in midfield
obiang was poor
yarmlenko got better but not ready for premier league start yet
Snodgrass had a good game and motm for me. good crosses and great effort. starts on Saturday
Hernandez kept going nd got his goal. still flatters to deceive.
Anderson looks good in central role. starts as CAM
Antonio has got over his injury

in the past we would have lost this game as we would have launched it in the air to carroll or whoever. good to see us play on the ground. need to speed it up a bit but we are getting better each game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote: It was your archetypal lower league v West Ham game. I went to Torquay, Newport, Stockport, Kidderminster and back again in the first hour.
Funnily enough I had just chucked "our top 5 defeats in the cup to lower league sides" into the conversation ring seconds before Diop clobbered it. We had just enough time to get a far as Chesterfield.

And any way you slice it, conceding a goal so bloody early was funny. So very West Ham.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

What a win. That'll live long in the memory. Smashed em. Let's not forget these lot beat the mighty Liverpool in the cup final. £100m well spent etc.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

First half was dire and painful, second half we basically camped in their half Andersen came on and sprayed the ball about well. Cresswell back is a massive plus as he can get deliver a good ball, knows the left back role inside out. I think Hernadez is finished, he has lost a yard of pace/reaction, so many times the last 20 on Saturday, last night the ball was in that box and for someone whose so one dimensional there game is poaching/finishing he has got to be doing better. I mean in the end the class and 10 man showed and Wimbeldon not going long when a lot of times they should've of been just clearing it rather than trying to dribble up the pitch, think our first came from them overplaying followed by Diop's lovely strike.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

A decent watch, for a change. We were doing well before the sending off too.

Zabs got my vote for motm. His continual overlaping and support play was impressive.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

sendô wrote:What a win. That'll live long in the memory. Smashed em. Let's not forget these lot beat the mighty Liverpool in the cup final. £100m well spent etc.
:lol:
kevino
Has liked: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Lots on here (including me) thinking Arthur can only run at defences and his final ball is useless. Last night, his pass into Hernandez for the third goal was sublime
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

As several others have said it was a potential banana skin, which despite conceding the sloppy early goal, and Wimbledon's dogged defence, we came through with some style in the end.
I think under Moyes we would have lost that one, or certainly wouldn't have tried too hard.
Well done lads, onwards and upwards ! :scarfer:
Last edited by BondsoBob on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.