West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolves: match thread (01/09)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

OMoS

Oggie has been awful this season, Cresswell starts by default, the alternative isn't a LB..

Noble hasn't been great at all really......but at least brings some passion to the team..not much criteria for getting selected but if two players are equal on ability or form, the one who brings the most to the table in terms of leadership gets the nod for me.....

and therein is the rub..use the pre season to evaluate personnel but when the opponents are Wycombe, Preston, some second rate outfits in Germany and Austria and Villa...well how can one truly evaluate them.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I agree about pre-season but if we went on a far flung pre-season tour playing top teams in mini tournament's people would moan we had sold out to sky money blah blah
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:OMoS

Noble hasn't been great at all really......but at least brings some passion to the team..not much criteria for getting selected but if two players are equal on ability or form, the one who brings the most to the table in terms of leadership gets the nod for me.....

and therein is the rub..use the pre season to evaluate personnel but when the opponents are Wycombe, Preston, some second rate outfits in Germany and Austria and Villa...well how can one truly evaluate them.
Ogbonna was superb when paired with Collins arguably they were our best pairing , he also popped up with a goal against Wimbledon , admittedly he was poor against Bournemouth but he hasn't been selected since - Noble could be getting over his injury , hopefully it was a coincidence we played our best game when he was missing but yesterday proved that wasn't the case . Stick Sanchez next to The Captain and see how things go , he deserves that at least - there just has to be a spine otherwise players won't know where they stand , like children they need order and discipline .

I just so want Pellegrini to succeed , I think most of us do , it's breaking our collective hearts to see what's happening just now . Hopefully he'll turn things around .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ Crouchy

we could have found some French, Italian, Dutch or any teams that would have I am sure, accommodated us..

@ OMoS

Last year Oggie was good but most of the time I think, we played a 3.....plus he didn't have to lead a novice, he had Ginge and Cresswell too at times.....don't think he was that good at Bournemouth mate or Wimbledon..undone for the initial phase before conceding the corner and then again defending the corner...

Noble has had his struggles, can't play him AND Wilshere together, no pace, no defending........so I reckon MP has a big choice to make.......personally I don't think Wilshere has done much more than Noble to be honest, but has gotten nowhere near the dogs abuse that Noble has gotten...
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Beavis Danzig wrote:grade anderson on a curve. he's twice been the best player in the west ham shirt and wasn't noticeably worse than anyone else yesterday.

bloke needs lanzini as much as everyone else though.
As Tim Vickery stated when we signed him, he will have matches where he is mustard, and matches where he is complete garbage. Can West Ham.afford to spend 40m plus on a player that's clearly a luxury?
There is a view which I agree with that the money could have spent more wisely.
It's been a bit of a scatter gun approach to transfers.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

For anybody who is interested I recorded the orchestral performance of Bubbles from my seat at the LS on Saturday:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I enjoyed it, made me feel nostalgic for the days of old

:crest:
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I'm not getting carried away and thinking we will be relegated from four games but it was truly poor Saturday.

Cresswell was so wasteful with the ball, the aimless punts up the top was really grating.

I thought Diop, the General and Sanchez were all pretty good ironically and does encourage.

The only issue with Arnie is he isn't disciplined enough to be a striker up top on his own, he kept dropping deep or going out wide to receive the ball, that then meant we had nothing in the box. I would rather see Arnie behind a striker.

It's weird that the same problems are happening with this team with largely different players. We still cannot have two in the middle and two centre backs as we are being carved open far too easily. Each player seems miles away from each other and no one really shows for the ball.
Maybe for the foreseeable we see Diop, the General and Oggy at the back?

We have changed a lot over this start of the season, from training facilities to players and coaching team. It will settle, it will get better and I have faith Pellergrini has enough about him to turn it around.

Lots of round pegs and square holes at the moment I think...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

There were a lot of positives in this game. Namely the back five (Sanchez included) and in particular with Diop looking very competent.

If Arnautovic rolls his chance into the bottom left corner, through the keepers legs or puts it anywhere other than straight at the keeper basically, we win that game with a clean sheet and all looks a little better for us.

Looked at their goal a few times now and it really was just classic switching off all round. The ball to Sanchez is sloppy from Balbuena, Sanchez giving the ball away in the way he did and where he did is criminal, Cresswell not tracking the run of Traore, various others just trotting back... it was terrible.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

FAH_1973 wrote:As others have commented only slight positive was Fabianski. Without him could easily have been 3 or 4.
That's incredibly harsh on Diop.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

bubbles1966 wrote: Yarmolenko's arrival heralded a substantial improvement in the quality of our play and we seemed to gain the upper hand physically. Obiang also improved us. The game improved also.
I thought Obiang was an absolutely massive upgrade on Wilshere when he came on. Put himself about the pitch and pressed as box-to-box midfielder to compliment Sanchez sitting in front of the back 4.

In contrast Wilshere was just a waste-of-space plodder. I'm sure not which is his best position - a CM where he was played yesterday or an AM where Anderson was deployed.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I thought I was the only one who saw the positives in defence in this game. Fabianski has proved to be very good so far(he's been busy). Even when the fella fell over the ball he was well set up to block the shot. The two centre backs were very good and apart from everyone switching of in the 92nd minute the whole defence was sound. Cresswell and Fred were both ineffective attack wise, but I think that's because Wolves wingers pinned them back. Fredricks looked terrified of going forward but gave little away defensively. Shearer's criticism of Cresswell for the goal was unfair in that Traore spotted the possibility and set of at a sprint before Cresswell had time to think. Caught napping? maybe. Too lazy to run back, no.
Crouchend_Hammer

With Sanchez sitting in behind, i really hope Obiang can get back to his form of 2016/17. He looked lively on Saturday in his brief performance

Sanchez, Obiang and then Noble or Wilshire is something to consider as a midfield 3
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

sutts07 wrote:

Looked at their goal a few times now and it really was just classic switching off all round. The ball to Sanchez is sloppy from Balbuena, Sanchez giving the ball away in the way he did and where he did is criminal, Cresswell not tracking the run of Traore, various others just trotting back... it was terrible.
My biggest gripe with their goal is the game managment of it all. It's the last minute of injury time, it's 0-0, we win a freekick midway into our half.

What do we do? We rush, take the kick quickly with everyone all over the place and we are outnumbered in the middle of the park and to make matters worse, the kick is passed inside to the middle of the park to a man with a marker.

What should we have done?

Let the keeper come out to take the kick, this gives us time to re-organise and maybe even push one or both centre halves up to challenge for the ball around their box. In doing so, all of their players would have to drop back to defend their own box as they would have been over the moon with a point anyway.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

sutts07 wrote:There were a lot of positives in this game. Namely the back five (Sanchez included) and in particular with Diop looking very competent.
Both Balbuena and Diop were consistently coming forward to nip the ball away from players...Very enjoyable to watch them reading the game so well.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Christ alive, what a shower of ****.

Made all the worse by the fact that I have to work with a particularly mouthy Wolves fan.

Yet another embarrassing goal. How is it that game after game we as a team continue to get so many of the basic fundamentals of the game wrong? Sanchez had enough time and space to make himself a cuppa before the Wolves player was on him there, but we were undone there and undone by Cresswell not giving himself enough space against a player he knew to be much quicker than him.
Crouchend_Hammer

Row X wrote:
My biggest gripe with their goal is the game managment of it all. It's the last minute of injury time, it's 0-0, we win a freekick midway into our half.

What do we do? We rush, take the kick quickly with everyone all over the place and we are outnumbered in the middle of the park and to make matters worse, the kick is passed inside to the middle of the park to a man with a marker.

What should we have done?

Let the keeper come out to take the kick, this gives us time to re-organise and maybe even push one or both centre halves up to challenge for the ball around their box. In doing so, all of their players would have to drop back to defend their own box as they would have been over the moon with a point anyway.
Aboslutely bang on. We have done this for years. Even in games where we have had Carroll we never take a long direct free kick from inside our half. The amount of times Noble or another player has played a short one when there has been opportunity for the keeper to get it up in the opposition box is baffling.

It is the last minute. You don't have to over commit, but send a couple of players forward and punt it into the mixer. May get a half chance or win a penalty. Worst that can happen is opposition get the ball back all the way back in their box and then unlikely they will over commit to win the game at that stage. Their keeper gets it, wastes time by holding on to it for a bit, and the referee blows up when he kicks it.

I see absolutely no advantage in playing it short at all at that point in the game. All risk and no reward
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

sendô wrote:Christ alive, what a shower of ****.

Made all the worse by the fact that I have to work with a particularly mouthy Wolves fan.

Yet another embarrassing goal. How is it that game after game we as a team continue to get so many of the basic fundamentals of the game wrong? Sanchez had enough time and space to make himself a cuppa before the Wolves player was on him there, but we were undone there and undone by Cresswell not giving himself enough space against a player he knew to be much quicker than him.
to be fair to cresswell, he had pushed on as we should have been going for the win...theres no way he would anticipate that sanchez would f*** up there
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

We got what we deserved I'm afraid and that was nothing.

I was pretty confident walking in that we would build on that Arsenal performance and gain our first victory, how wrong was I.

Effort, application and basic skills all missing from another lacklustre performance meant that by the time I walked out I really had the major hump.

Wolves were far from great but could of easily scored four and we hardly worked there keeper.

Anyway, Everton away next in a proper old skool stadium so upwards and onwards.

:crest:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

No in fairness it wasn't massively Cresswell's fault, he's even tried to foul Traore, but he was just too quick.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: wolves fan view

Post by wormley »

cockney hammer wrote:just seen ths om who

View from the Wolves lot:
Makes for sad reading.

One of the worst executive decisions in the history of football.