West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

FAH_1973

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolves: match thread (01/09)

Post by FAH_1973 »

to be fair to cresswell, he had pushed on as we should have been going for the win...theres no way he would anticipate that sanchez would **** up there[/quote]

It was picked up on GOS analysis that Cresswell could have 'taken on for the team' and fouled Traore out but made a half arsed attempt to do so. It would have been cynical and second yellow but sometimes needs must.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm sure cresswell replays that in his head and thinks why didn't I take him out? It's not easy to make that decision in a split second. Because that's all he had before Traore was gone. He knows he's off if he does it and gives them a free-kick on the edge of the box.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

goa127 wrote:I'm sure cresswell replays that in his head and thinks why didn't I take him out? It's not easy to make that decision in a split second. Because that's all he had before Traore was gone. He knows he's off if he does it and gives them a free-kick on the edge of the box.
I appreciate that but it was his totally non-comiitted attempt he made. He ****ed his leg out with no real intent.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

My biggest gripe with their goal is the game management of it all.

Exactly this. It's the 93rd f...ing min, we play out the remaining min and half and get our first point of the season, that is the professional way, but for some reason all but three of the team are ahead of the ball, like a Thursday night five a side team that has just called "next goals the winner" and against two of fastest players in league, amateur hour madness.
Tactically we played to Wolves strengths and exactly what I warned against on Friday in this thread, if we dont cover Costa or Traore we will loose.
I don't think Pelligrini has a clue, he claims he watched all our games last season, well if that's so he will know that for half the season Arnie was awful, only when Moyes played Lanzini or Mario as a supporting ten to his centre forward did he begin to shine, so what does Pell do? Plays him up top on his jack with Anderson miles off him. And what's all this bombing players out of the squad? With the pace that Wolves had on their right we must start Arthur, he has the raw speed and they know that. They also know that if they work to get Costa or Traore into a foot race with Cresswell they are going to get a dividend, and so it proved.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I can understand why we played it short, I do not agree with it, but i do understand it as that is clearly what we are being told to do as a team.

Plus Sanchez had more than enough space to play.

Shows just how much time and space Sanchez had, if anything he had too much.

Even at the point of him being shut down he just had to roll the ball out/back to Diop.

As the ball is laid back, Traore isn't even in the picture...

One pass later and Traore is now ahead of Cresswell... now, I know he is quick, but come on... that is about a six or seven yard gain over just 20 yards...

Not sure that a keeper should be beaten at the near post from here either, but it was a good strike so full credit to the striker I guess.

Looking at them both, at the time he shoots, it is no better a chance than Arnautovic had just a few minutes earlier, and he nails it.

To be honest, Arnautovic had a much better chance...

JUST ROLL IT IN THE F****** CORNER...!!!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that's now an even worse professional set up in my opinion now I look at it...

we have FIVE outfield players in our own half when we take the kick. Add the goalie and that's of course SIX.

under a minute to go, 0-0 looking for a desperation goal...that's unforgivable BEFORE the cockup.....

:twisted:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:I can understand why we played it short, I do not agree with it, but i do understand it as that is clearly what we are being told to do as a team.
what are we possibly going to gain by playing it short? was the plan to get it wide to Cresswell to sling into the box? If that was the case then why didn't Balbenua just play it straight to Diop and go from there?

Why not just take a bit of time off the clock, send a CB up and boot the freekick in the box?

A monumental f***-up, primarily by Sanchez of course, but poor decision making all round
Patito

Post by Patito »

Sutts, on that first picture you can see Jimenez is blurred because he's already set off towards Sanchez. Without doubt, Sanchez should have done better there but I don't think it was the wisest idea to pass to him in there. I thought at the time Wolves looked ready to press in there.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Arnie was very unfortunate.

He cleared the keeper's arms and beat him, but it hit him square in the head.

9 times out of 10 it breaks the back of the net and the finish looks emphatic.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

And wizzo

didn't Fabianski make an equally good save from them or it would have been another "emphatic finish ?"

so that's even up to there then.......................

other than that did we trouble their keeper ??????????????? one save early doors from Anderson that goalies expect to and should save.....Arnie kept it alive and Antonio fell asleep or he should have been on the end of that cross........
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

wizzo_66 wrote:Arnie was very unfortunate.
Not unfortunate at all. He lacked composure and just put his foot through it.

It should not have been anywhere near the keeper, the keepers arms of the keepers face... just roll the ball into the corner and win us the game.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: other than that did we trouble their keeper ?
Snodgrass should have done better in the first half, their keeper made a good save at his near post but we didn't get the corner.

Antonio should have done better with his chance at the near post. He could have also done a bit more with his header 2nd half that just looped towards the goal.

They had one good header from a free kick straight at Fabianski, one break (that looked yards offside) that Fabianski rushed out to block, one ball into the box which their forward fell over and then the goal.

It was fairly even on chances.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:And wizzo

didn't Fabianski make an equally good save from them or it would have been another "emphatic finish ?"

so that's even up to there then.......................

other than that did we trouble their keeper ??????????????? one save early doors from Anderson that goalies expect to and should save.....Arnie kept it alive and Antonio fell asleep or he should have been on the end of that cross........
I'm not making a case for us winning the game.

Just saying that particular chance Arnie in my opinion was unfortunate as that type of finish is more than adequate enough most of the time.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Arnie is not a natural out and out finisher
Pace and power, yes, and he can certainly score from distance, but his record at one one ones is not great. He is excellent at getting himself into the one on ones by shrugging away from defenders, but then is often lacking composure for the actual finish

Wolves did create more than we did and definitely got in much better attacking positions (they had huge joy with pushing up their wingbacks) but with the exception of the chance that Jiminez fell over (which was atrocious defending by our CBs), and maybe the one Fabianski rushed out to save none were real clear cut chances

Having said that, we only really created one clear-cut chance and that was through Arnie making more of the opportunity for himself after the ball from Hernandez, than us opening them up with intricate play
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

wizzo

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/12847 ... -Wanderers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shots: 13/15
OT: 3/6
PasSu: 79/84 %
AerDS: 38/62
DriW: 9/13
TackW: 22/25

now that shows a fairly close game (which in general it was) but they shade us in enough areas to win the game which they did.........can't believe that the aerial duels are so significant........either we won our defensive ones but lost the attacking ones which is what I think happened...looking at the player stats, that the case......