West Ham Utd 0-1 Wolves (01/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Stringey
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Wolves: match thread (01/09)

Post by Stringey »

Puff- I read your optimistic post yesterday on the train on the way up and being a long term pessimistic supporter was nicely comforted by your sure fire feeling that we were going to win, even through the dire first half thought about it and fully expected a 2-0win in the second half.
Cheers, you've just put me back into the same old mind set I've had for the last 48 years supporting this lot :D
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Stringey wrote:Puff- I read your optimistic post yesterday on the train on the way up and being a long term pessimistic supporter was nicely comforted by your sure fire feeling that we were going to win, even through the dire first half thought about it and fully expected a 2-0win in the second half.
Cheers, you've just put me back into the same old mind set I've had for the last 48 years supporting this lot :D
I don't get that feeling very often mate, so don't worry, it will be a long time before I get it again. Not likely to re-surface again this season, not after that yesterday anyway
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Our midfield were *****, we have no recognised striker apart from Hernandes who looks sooooo disinterested - Anderson is still on the beach and doesn't give a f*** - absolute toilet, apart from the goalie who played well.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

richneal wrote:Fab did very well.

He made saves that I'd expect Adrian to make , I've noticed that not one person has mentioned how Fabianski got beaten on his near post by Traore .

The initial mistake was down to Sanchez but there was still plenty of work to be done , Cresswell beaten by Traore despite being 3-4 yards in front of him , two centre backs looking on and then Fabianski beaten on his near post . Apathy has spread to every player it would seem . Losing does this to a team but where's the leadership ??

I've said it in every post match post thus far this season , no one is taking responsibility on the pitch , everyone is looking to everyone else , there's no leadership on the pitch , no one barking orders .

Sort it out , Pellegrini .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Apathy has spread to every player it would seem . Losing does this to a team but where's the leadership ??

, no one is taking responsibility on the pitch , everyone is looking to everyone else , there's no leadership on the pitch , no one barking orders .
Yesterday it was on the bench.

Who else is still left at the club who gives a toss ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:The first time in a very long while that the problem has been the attack, not the defence.

The first half we lacked competitive edge in the physical battles and 1:1's all across the front six, and our passing and ball control was poor with the front 4 and Fredericks being especially culpable. For all that, neither side created a great deal just the odd bit here and there. It was a boring game.

Yarmolenko's arrival heralded a substantial improvement in the quality of our play and we seemed to gain the upper hand physically. Obiang also improved us. The game improved also.

Their trump card was Traore who had the effect we expect from Anderson.

Yes, it was an ultra sloppy and daft goal - indivdiual mistakes have cost us in the last three games - but I actually felt that was the best performance I have seen from a 'keeper and a pair of centre halves for us in a very long time and up until the very latter part of the game we kept them to a minimal number of good chances.

The forwards - Yarmolenko excepted, Arnie included - were woeful.

Some of our attacking play was brain dead - poor runs, overly intricate Arsenal type flicks etc. I don't get Anderson on the left; he always seems to run out of space to play and invariably plays a poor flick pass when trying to lay the ball off because he's heavily right footed.

We conceded one. If you keep the opposition down to that, you have to be thinking we should walk off with a point, at least.
Yes as I said yesterday every player who had an attackING responsibility I. E everyone but sachez and the two CBs was very poor. No movement off the ball, no thrust and no one taking responsibility. Personally thought Anderson was particularly awful

Obiang was decent when he came on and should start instead of Wilshire next game. He may not be as good in tight areas buy adds dynamism and athleticism.

Arnoutivic is not a CF in the way Pellugrini wants us to play. He is great as a lone front man in a defensive team where he competes for long balls, but in a team trying to have possession and play through to feet he just doesn't have the intelligence of movement - he didn't make any runs at all yesterday when the players behind him had the ball and was very static. I would play him deeper or to the side of Hernandez, especially at home

Masuaka should start at LB as he has much better stamina to get up at and down and will run at defenders on the outside or overlap. If Fredericks is not going to do it on the other side we should play Zab
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

MadMart wrote:Our midfield were *****, we have no recognised striker apart from Hernandes who looks sooooo disinterested - Anderson is still on the beach and doesn't give a **** - absolute toilet, apart from the goalie who played well.
Read this a lot about Anderson, but he made the most running yesterday.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Any team that spends 100 million and snodgrass and antonio are starting has failed in their aquisitions.

How on earth we let seri get away is beyond baffling.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

westhamgardner wrote: I thought Wolves were poor themselves but just wanted it more,
hmm interesting. I thought they started very slowly and were very tentative in attack early on. After H.T they grew into the game, worked out we are toilet and went for the jugular and as a fair few have said it could have been more than the one goal.

This was a team playing away from home remember.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Wolves were not that good, if they had of been we would have lost by at least 4.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers match thread (01/09)

Post by DrVenk »

the pink palermo wrote: It's Avram 2 , he doesn't know his best team, can't stick to a shape, and the players are confused.
It mitigates the benefits you derive from getting your transfer business done early in the transfer window. The whole point of doing that is to start the season with a more settled first team. And yet, here we are, 4 games in, and he's still tinkering.

As Bubbles said, yesterday was rare in that the defence was not the main problem but the attack. Our build up play was jarring. No fluency. Wolves moved into our final third with ease where we laboured to do the same. Our transitional play is mostly ineffective and we still struggle to control possession. Players are just not on the same wavelength.

Tactically, the players don't seem to be on the same wavelength either. Arnie was doing his usual protesting of getting those around him to press with him and....they didn't. So he got p*ssed off, and on numerous occasions dropped back to get involved only to leave no-one up front. Yarmo coming on and supporting him helped, but why was it left only to Arnie to press in the 1st half? Why, again, are we not defending as a team from the front? I'm truly baffled by this.

The defence is nearly settled, I think. Fabianski, Balbuena and Diop are nailed on regulars now - I suspect he'll fall back on Zab and Cresswell as the primary fullbacks as they are better keeping possession than their competitors. Arnie nailed on as our primary striker. Once full fit, Yarmo to play off Arnie or on the right.

As for the rest.... :think:
moore_bobby
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by moore_bobby »

MadMart wrote:Our midfield were *****, we have no recognised striker apart from Hernandes who looks sooooo disinterested - Anderson is still on the beach and doesn't give a **** - absolute toilet, apart from the goalie who played well.
I happen to think Diop played well. Also scored in the previous two games :lol:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Dr V - i really dont think Arnie should be 'nailed on' as our starting striker. I don't think he fits in the way Pellugrini wants to play. He is fairly static when we have the ball and isn't in the box much.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Dr V - i really dont think Arnie should be 'nailed on' as our starting striker. I don't think he fits in the way Pellugrini wants to play. He is fairly static when we have the ball and isn't in the box much.
He's not playing up to his usual standards that's for sure. Personally, I think he's carrying an injury or has failed to shake off the effects of a previous niggling injury, rather than him unable to fit into Peller's vision.

But maybe you're right. I don't think we'll know until the manager has figured out what the midfield and the players around Arnie will look like.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Fabianski, Fredericks, Masuaku, Diop, Balbuena, Sanchez, Wilshere, Anderson, Arnie = 9 - it's the last two that are problematic.

There has to be another player who will score goals (Perez, Antonio, Hernandez, Carroll, Yarmy) and there has to be one for defensive solidity (Snodgrass, Rice, Obiang, Cresswell, Noble).

Lanzini, if fit, replaces Wilshere.
scobie
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by scobie »

Has Pellegrini or that old bloke who sits next to him ever used the technical area? Their persona on the bench is hardly inspiring. As dull and dreary as the teams performances, collectively so far this season.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I am not sure we were so good defensively, better yes but not good. First half they overloaded our full backs especially on the left where Cresswell frequently had two players and no support. We largely rectified this second half only to leaves gaps in the centre, they got at least 3 “one on ones”, that is not good defending.

The attacking however was even worse, I recall at least one occasion first half when we were looking to attack and all our forward players ran out of the area back towards the ball. I struggled to understand where Antonio was meant to be playing - up alongside Arnie or out wide and if so left or right. Changing position is fine from an established framework but when you do it from chaos it just adds to that chaos.
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Claret & Blue World wrote:
hmm interesting. I thought they started very slowly and were very tentative in attack early on. After H.T they grew into the game, worked out we are toilet and went for the jugular and as a fair few have said it could have been more than the one goal.

This was a team playing away from home remember.
Both teams? :wink:
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Gsbgsb wrote:I am not sure we were so good defensively, better yes but not good. First half they overloaded our full backs especially on the left where Cresswell frequently had two players and no support. We largely rectified this second half only to leaves gaps in the centre, they got at least 3 “one on ones”, that is not good defending.

The attacking however was even worse, I recall at least one occasion first half when we were looking to attack and all our forward players ran out of the area back towards the ball. I struggled to understand where Antonio was meant to be playing - up alongside Arnie or out wide and if so left or right. Changing position is fine from an established framework but when you do it from chaos it just adds to that chaos.

I had no idea what was going on up front. 4 offensive players and at times not one in the box when we are on the attack.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Coops wrote:
That seems to be a thread running through the team. Somebody needs to give them a Scott Parker style bollocking.

I too watched MOTD and I hate to say it but Shearer was spot on with his summing up of how bad we were.
Totally agree.

I think a large majority of them are suffering from ‘thinking they’re better than they actually are’ syndrome.

The thing is, the senior players amongst them should know they have to graft in this league.