West Ham Utd 0-0 Chelsea (23/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

wilf
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread (23/9)

Post by wilf »

MOTD 2 completely agree and I stayed up to watch analysis......
Chelski wankfest
Fuckrightoff
We played effin well
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

sendô wrote:I see the MOTD axis of bellendery strike again.

Are they worse than Sky? They've completely changed their team in the last few years, but watching Keown, Kilbane, Jenas and PNeville is like watching gravel slowly erode into sand.

:arry:
I was intrigued to learn from Neville that we had signed Aubameyang to play in midfield.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Solid disciplined performance by everyone except Perez. We even should have nicked. Every team in England would take a point at home to Chelsea, nevermind us. Regardless of how we feel about them, they are an excellent side, with a few world class players
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Why did I bother to record MOTD2? I wanted to see their assessment of our performance today but it seemed Chelsea played themselves. They had plenty to say about US when we were getting beaten. I enjoyed today's game and came home feeling happy with our performance against a very good side
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Only watched the motd highlights so can't really comment on every player but yes, weren't they frothing over Chelsea..
Without Fab, we might well have lost that & with Arnie, we might well have won it!
It was indeed, a funny game. The Yarmo miss seemed identical to the Palace Sakho miss yesterday. Shame for Mic Ant & us, him not scoring. Might have helped him get his mojo back.
I'm pleased with the result. A clean sheet & we halted their 100%.
I also feel somewhat better now, losing at home to Wolves, after they did so well at ManU.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:People talking about Antonio's finishing like he missed two absolute sitters
The first one was hardly an easy chance On his wrong foot, from a fairly difficult angle I have seen Arnie blaze quite a few of those wide.
He was also stretching for a ball that was running away from the target and shooting at a part of the goal covered by the goalkeeper. No, it definitely wasn't a sitter, which begs the question, why did he choose that option? It was a terrible shot and a terrible decision.
Crouchend_Hammer wrote:The second one (certainly easier than the first) he turned and got the shot on target and keeper made a good save.
The problem here wasn't so much his shot, (it too wasn't a sitter), it was ironic that he ended up with the best chance of the match when his decisions in the build up were so attrocious. Even then bit of composure and looking up before shooting could have helped - it wasn't really a good save as it was blasted straight at the keeper.

He's not the only one that made blunders - Yarmolenko's missed header of course, and the miscontrol that led to Antonio's second chance (although Antonio may have partially caused that by not making himself available and by dragging an extra defender onto Yarmolenko). And also Zabaleta's miscontrol early on. The problem is that Antonio's were the result of poor decision as well as poor execution.

When chances are so rare (as they were at that stage of the game) and your defence has been under constant and prolonged pressure, you need your forwards to convert those chances or hold the ball up.
Quite telling that we only got one shot on target all game!

Lots of people praising him for hard work all game, but i seemed to notice him rooted to the centre spot (or somewhere equally anonymous) while the Chelsea defence passed the ball about on several occasions.
Later I wondered if he'd been instructed not only to conserve energy, but not to press the defence in order to allow our own defence to get organised - Chelsea seemed quite slow at getting the ball forward which I think was a bid benefit to us.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Not necessarily. I have seen Arnoutovic miss a couple of easier ones than Antonio's first one when approaching the goal from the left side
Well of course he isn't going to score every chance put infront of him, my point is that he has the attributes of a class centre forward, where Antonio does not have the intelligence to play in that role.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Antonio is not arnie we know that but he did a good job for the team yesterday,shame he didn't score but he put the ffort in and had two chances.
we have no one else to cover for arnie if we want to continue this style of play. perez was poor when he came on and Hernandez has his Mexican flu !

some good performances from all with fab zab Balbuena diop rice being the pick of the bunch.

we seem to have a style of play with the 3 in the middle, we need to keep to it now and hope arnie is back for the mancs.if he is I think we will win our first home match.

The most pleasing thing was to see the team put the hard work in. Has it finally dawned on them that they have to put the effort in ?
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

TommyHammer wrote:Some people still pretend that Antonio is a 'versatile' player when he really isn't. Cannot play RB, cannot play CF. Arnautovic would have scored those chances today.
Very true. It was a choker when the notification came on my mobile, I then opened up the Sky Sports app to see Arnautovic’s name not on the team sheet or on the sub’s bench.

But who else was there available to play that position? Perez? Because to me he looks like a player who’s probably worth as much as we paid for him: £4milion.

Moaning about Antonio if pretty futile imho, he done a job that he was asked to do.

The Yarmolenko miss is the one I find very frustrating though.

Still, it was a good point and we made a good account of ourselves.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

A decent result and defensive performance, but let's be honest there was precious little difference between the way the team was set up and how Moyes or Allardyce would have done so. Im not seeing much value in the £100m spent apart from a better GK.

Early days though, I accept.
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

I actually thought it was Yarmolenko that went the wrong way not Antonio, Yarmo is left footed and his natural move was inside so Ant was looking to take the defenders away to the outside. They both had good games but missed good chances but would have taken a point beforehand.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Diogenes wrote:Sendo and JBB I whole heartedly agree.

I thought that our best performance this year. For all their possession, I can't remember a clear cut opportunity for them and yet we had two (Antonio and Yarmalenko).

I think looking at any team or individual negatives is being a bit too picky, in what was (for me) a very good team performance.

Also, thumbs up to those in both the corners near the away supporters who provided a great atmosphere.
Off hand I can think of a few chances for them. One is published in the metro today - the picture of Morata's shot smacking Fab in the face. First half Giroud really terrible miss.

0-0 was a fair result, but so would 2-2 have been.

I also think it was our best performance of the year - especially if you factor in the loss of Arnie limiting us going fwd.

In particular we gave Chelsea a whole lot fewer chances than Everton. And our ability to keep the ball on a swift counter is unlike anything I have seen from us in years.
Last edited by upton o'good on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

irongav wrote: loads of tourists and day trippers in the bml today [season ticket seats resold] so many voiceless seats
Had two Chelsea supporters next to me in the BML.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A decent result and defensive performance, but let's be honest there was precious little difference between the way the team was set up and how Moyes or Allardyce would have done so. Im not seeing much value in the £100m spent apart from a better GK.

Early days though, I accept.
Apart from the five different starters, all of whom played well.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It was a completely different system to what Moyes used and was handicapped by not having our best player on the pitch. Chelsea were always going to dominate play, they have one of the most forward thinking managers in the world who plays exceptional football. It was always going to be about being patient, defending in numbers and taking chances on the break. Chelsea had plenty of chances but we also could have scored a few...i think we earned our point and managed to keep hazard relatively quiet around our box.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As mentioned earlier it was like chalk and cheese vs how Moyes plays IMHO

We did try and win that game for the full 90 minutes, they are just a better team than us, with better players so we struggled to get out towards the end
Patito

Post by Patito »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Lots of people praising him for hard work all game, but i seemed to notice him rooted to the centre spot (or somewhere equally anonymous) while the Chelsea defence passed the ball about on several occasions.
Later I wondered if he'd been instructed not only to conserve energy, but not to press the defence in order to allow our own defence to get organised - Chelsea seemed quite slow at getting the ball forward which I think was a bid benefit to us.
I think this is something that whoever is playing in that central striker role is instructed to do as Arnie usually does the same, only pressing sporadically. (IMO nothing wrong with that if the general team shape is good as they can't be expected to sprint non-stop for 90mins) :thup:
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

JCA wrote:Anderson not doing enough for me, still waiting for a big performance from him.
I dunno mate. I think he looks a class above the rest. His first touch is unreal and he seems very calm under pressure. He even put a bone-crunching tackle in at some point which made me smile. I do agree that he clearly has more in his locker and I am confident that this will come to the fore very soon. He is definitely going in the right direction, imo.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

steps wrote:Moaning about Antonio if pretty futile imho, he done a job that he was asked to do.
Very true... as long as he's putting in the effort, clocking up the miles, hassling and bullying the oppo, strecth the game and hold up when possible he'll do ok...

I do look back on his golden season and wonder how he managed to score goals though...especially with his feet...because at the moment it looks like he's got 10 wonky toes never mind one!
Graza

Post by Graza »

Antonio is getting a bit of a rough ride. A lot of it is an unfair comparison to Arnie. Some of it it just bias. In the stadium there was some bloke shouting at him every time he wasn't flat out running at nothing, if a ball is 30 yards away and they have 4 options sprinting at them is just a waste of energy. Arnie doesn't do it either for the whole game as he, and any human being, would be knackered after 10 minutes. He was isolated against three for most of the game and given the class and ability of those three he made enough of a nuisance of himself to justify him playing. The two chances, the first I thought he could have taken a touch as he had some (not much but some) time to control with his left and choose a shot with his right, but on a second look on TV it looked like it was just too far and all he could do was what he did, should he at least hit the target? Probably but he made the run he had the shot and it would have made their defenders think about those runs and hand back a little. The second he had no time or space and just put his foot through it. Could he have tried to dribble back or stop to try and draw a foul or make a better position? Yes, if he'd tried and done neither would he be being caned on here over not having a pop? Absolutely he would. Would I play him in front of Arnie, no. But it was noticable how toothless we looked on the break when he went off, doubly so when Anderson went off too. So if the plan was to play on the break who else would have been better?

Another good game for Rice, Balbuena and Diop. They seem to be coming together nicely. A decent game all round really against a team that is player for player better than ours. We let them have a few decent chances, not least the one Fabianski saved with his face, but none really clear cut how did he miss that chances.

Had Yarmalenko got that header in would the last 15 have played out the same? I think we would have been more defensive and them more aggressive and it may well have still been a draw.

All in I'd have taken a point before kick-off and to keep a clean sheet as well was a massive bonus. If take one next week too if it helps.

I also saw a first for me in the toilet bowl. A clear tourist was sat in a Chelsea shirt and a ln "event manager" came and took him away.