West Ham Utd 3-1 Manchester Utd (29/09/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester Utd: match thread (29/9)

Post by irving boleyn »

WorcesterWHU wrote:
b*llocks. Such deep-seated PTSD about Lukaku that I'd forgotten he played for this lot and was still at Everton.

Diop to keep him quiet 8-)

That speaks more about your memory than my considered opinion.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I don't really get the settling for a draw, or respecting the point against these. Of course, on the day, if we are 1-0 down going into the 93rd minute but end up getting a draw I think everybody will settle for that, but personally, I think we should go for it and I believe we will. I am expecting us to win this as these are not to be feared and they are definitely not what they once were
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I think much will depend on whether the negative stuff in the past week prompts a positive reaction from the Man U players. If not, I reckon we'll win it 2-1. If it does, I can see this being 1-3.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:I don't really get the settling for a draw, or respecting the point against these. Of course, on the day, if we are 1-0 down going into the 93rd minute but end up getting a draw I think everybody will settle for that, but personally, I think we should go for it and I believe we will. I am expecting us to win this as these are not to be feared and they are definitely not what they once were
I agree. They’re really not all that.

But for De Gea they’d be much further down the league through previous seasons. He’s an absolute hero for them. Even this season.

Central defence is weak, I could see Yarmolenko, Anderson, Arnautovic causing some problems there.
hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I was more optimistic of something against Chelsea personally. Whilst I think Chelsea are better than Man Utd I feel that Man Itd have strength in the areas where we have more weaknesses. Chelsea have tended to let teams play a bit which helps us. Man Utd are strong, physical and will have the bit between their teeth.....and the ref....

A draw wouldn’t be the worst result in my view
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

They are not the greatest, but it shows the gap between the top and bottom where they can rest Martial, Sanchez, Smalling and a few more (Fellaini occasionally) any of whom could easily get into our team..

Our bench will more than likely have a couple of Academy kids on it...

and if they are a bit pushed they can chuck on Big Hair on, while we might be looking to chuck on Perez or Grady.......

despite spending 100M we aren't much better off than last year with respect to game changers on the bench....

might be a good time to play them, but then again a lot on here said the same about L'Arse...

and how did that end up......

it would be great to get 3 points on the board, but if you were a bookie, honestly, where would YOUR money be going ?

Man U. 5/6 draw 13/5 West Ham 3/1
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Mourinho looks more and more like a vagrant who's just necked half a dozen cans of Super T.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yes, a point wouldn't be the worst result, they've won three on the spin away from home - it's at home that they mainly struggle.

I'm quite amused when reading opposition fans' forums - they almost all inevitably go "Is Arnautovic playing?"

It's very similar to when Payet was here.

They don't seem to like Lukaku much over on Redcafe though some plank wants them to beat us just so they can ram it down Moyes' throat :D
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Unfortunately I think we will lose this one. 1-2 with lots of controversy surrounding one or both of their goals but a spirited performance by us nevertheless.

:crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Stepney wrote:Unfortunately I think we will lose this one. 1-2 with lots of controversy surrounding one or both of their goals but a spirited performance by us nevertheless.

another Kevin Nolan type goal ruled out for off side ??
arlhe
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 176 likes

Post by arlhe »

Or Phil Jones writhing on the floor after poleaxing one of ours, who then gets sent off. No bias there...

Has Mourinho complained about them having an extra 24 hours to recover? He nevrr fails to mention it when it's the other way round.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that made his penalty miss all the sweeter the other night...

:D

oh and can the OP change the thread title to:

West Ham versus United please ?????

:P
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:I don't really get the settling for a draw, or respecting the point against these. Of course, on the day, if we are 1-0 down going into the 93rd minute but end up getting a draw I think everybody will settle for that, but personally, I think we should go for it and I believe we will. I am expecting us to win this as these are not to be feared and they are definitely not what they once were
Nor does Manuel judging by his comments. He does not respect the point, but respects the 3 points. And good on him.

2 - 0 to us :thup:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 570 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Another 0-0 please, which will see another well respected point and hopefully us still out of the bottom three after losing our opening four games combined with arguably the worst start off fixtures in the league.

We have to look at four points from Brighton and Tottenham.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

a tough game for us and a big test. man utd will come fired up and at us. they are a physical side before you add elbows in.
big test how the likes of Balbuena diop masuaka rice Anderson and yarmolenko deal with the nasty side of Manchester!

we need to start well and set the tempo for the match. let them start well or grow into the match and we will be in trouble.

lakaku playing and scoring against us is the norm but this time maybe not. can diop handle this large fast aggressive CF . if he does we will win.

need arnie to score the few chances we create and I reckon yarmolenko will add one following last weeks terrible miss.

usual team which should be rested, most of them
fab
zab diop balbuena masuaka
nobe rice obiang
yarmolenko arnie anderson

subs adrian fredericks ogbonna cresswell snodgrass antonio perez

shame sanchez is injured for months, new DM needed in january window ofr sure

respect the point but would love a 2-0 arnie and yarmie show !
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Our squad appear to be full of confidence, enjoying their football and team cohesion and moral are very high; This is a great time to play Man Utd who are facing the exact opposite situation with a truly toxic atmosphere at the club. I don't want to tempt fate or feel overconfident but I can only see a win for us as long as we lift our game and keep the defense tight and error free. I'm sure that Pelligrini has got them fired up for this one and with or without Marko we'll give them a tough game. If Arautovic is not 100% I'd start Antonio again, have him run himself into the ground for a half hour or so and then bring Marko on. COYI :scarfer:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
and if they are a bit pushed they can chuck on Big Hair on, while we might be looking to chuck on Perez or Grady.......

I wouldn't even be surprised to see him start! He's been one of their better players recently, oh how the mighty have fallen :D
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

We've had some right stinkers with refs in these games over the last few years. For once let us have a fair crack at them without them getting any leg ups. Come on West Ham smash the glory hunting pillocks out the park.

e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

Patito wrote:I wouldn't even be surprised to see him start! He's been one of their better players recently, oh how the mighty have fallen :D
He's prone to "the Andy Carroll affect" - Whereupon a team plays awful negative football, and the players who are best at that shine out, because they influence the only good part - ie: the results.

That's never the players' fault, it's symbolic of a manager who is reliant on the route 1 approach because they've started to run out of better ideas.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Spot on e17