West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Post by Samba »

K/O 3pm.
Should be a good 'un!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread (20/10)

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

A repeat performance of the Manchester United game , please .
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we need the win to get back on trck and beat these scumbags !

couple of questions for MP to answer

1. does he stick with masuaka as LB or bring cresswell in to freshen it up.
2. does yarmolenko start after such a poor performance . could play masuaka as a LW and bring cresswell in at LB. or play Snodgrass .
3. time to drop Antonio and perez from the bench and replace with Hernandez and diagana

so a few issues after a poor result last night. whoever wears the shirt must be 100% supported against this mob.

1-0 hammers. arnie
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

Maybe the Brighton loss (but not necessarily bad performance) was a blessing in disguise. We’re going to be fired up for this.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Think Tottenham will be a tougher game then Man U, closer to Chelsea quality.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

indeed it will be a battle and we must start well. have a first half like last night and we will be 3 down !

show commitment and desire and we can win this and the cup game.
Doctor_Whu
Has liked: 5 likes

Post by Doctor_Whu »

Depending on results going their way, our north London chums COULD go top should we lose to them. Please let's not let that happen.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I an see Pellegrini setting us up similar to the Everton and Chelsea games letting Tottenham come at us then catching them on the break .

This is almost a carbon copy of last season's fixtures when we played Tottenham early on and then met them in the same competition in the same round , the conspiracy theorists amongst us might think that it was being done deliberately .

I don't need to remind you guys that we lost to Tottenham in the League and beat them in the League Cup in what was probably our best display of the season under Slaven Bilic , however it wasn't enough to keep him his job and we couldn't keep up the momentum against Arsenal in the Quarter Finals under our new manager , David Moyes .

The last big break did us the power of good coming back from 4 consecutive defeats to beat Everton 1-3 , let us hope this coming break has similar restorative powers .

Prediction -

I think we'll beat them in the Premier League and in the Carabao Cup , I have every faith in this new look West Ham United under Manuel Pellegrini .
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

One things for sure, it is vital we take our chances against them. How often do they not score? I would like to see the stats of how often they don't score in games in all competitions, as I feel like they rarely do. Even when they lose they seem to get a goal. So I don't want to be seeing any sitters. When we get our chances for f*cksake take them!

Hopefully Arnie is fitter and raring to go. We desperately need more players to raise their game from an attacking perspective. For me we are relying far too much on Arnie to create, score goals. If he doesn't turn up we're f*cked. So I want to see Yarmalenko to not keep going into hiding which he is doing in spells in the last couple games. And as good as some of the flashes have been, I really want to see a big performance from Anderson. He hasn't had a full match yet really when he has completely stole the show. No better game to start.

I would stick with Masuaku for this game. Remember they have Tripper and the inform Moura on their right hand side. So we need pace.

Yarmalenko was poor against Brighton, but I'd give him another chance. If he does nothing again then I'd drop him for Snodgrass next game.

I don't think Spurs have direct pacy players on the left as that's the only change I'd make. Drop Zabaleta for Fredricks. But that's only for tactical reasons. Not because Zabaleta isn't playing well. But from what I can remember they tend to go with Son, or Lamela more on the left.

If anything I'd make more changes on the bench! Antonio to disappear being one as he literally offers nothing. He is good for nothing. There's no point having him on the bench.

I believe I read somewhere p*sstaker Carroll is back for this? I don't like the c*nt and want him out of the club next summer at the latest. But as long as he's fit I'd still use him to have him to come off the bench and hopefully cause damage. Spurs have been weak with defending some set pieces, so let's try and take advantage :thup: and hopefully he can teach Balbuena to score easy headers.

My team, pending on no injuries:

-----------------------------------------Fabianski-----------------------------------------

-Zabaleta-----------------Balbuena----------Diop------------------Masuaku-

--------------------------------------------Rice---------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Obiang-------------Noble---------------------------------

-Yarmalenko---------------------------Arnie------------------------------Anderson-

Subs: Adrian, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Snodgrass, Carroll, Perez.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We could also do with Southgate playing Kane for 90 minutes in both games during the break.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We may need a game changer on the bench for this one. Big Andy Carroll and a place there too young Diangana too. It could also have been his chance to have turned things for us last night. Brighton away needed something different from the 70th minute, so what was Pellers thinking in leaving him out ? Sorry, didn't get it
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Would be very happy with a draw. This lot have a physicality to their game that Chelsea don’t and Man Utd didn’t bring with them.

Want to beat them in the cup 8-)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

International breaks are better for teams of our calibre, because only part, as opposed to most, of our squad will in fact travel to meet up and play with their international colleagues. I see Austria are playing in Denmark; wonder what the situation with Arnautovic is there...

In any event, we've got to approach this in largely the same way we approached the Chelsea match; Operation Respect the Point.

Sure, it's not panic stations, if, for instance, we narrowly lose, having competed for 90+ minutes, but 6/9 defeats to start the season is a fairly grim statistic, in terms of form in the opening quarter, creating, along the way, more than a handful 'must win matches', against Cardiff, Huddersfield and the like.

To be generally healthy, as the season progresses, we need to stay unbeaten in 50% of the games we play.

I've reached the point where

1. Fabianski
2. Balbuena
3. Diop
4. Rice
5. Arnautovic

are effectively 'penned in' onto the teamsheet, so long as they are fit, in that they are the spine around whom recent signings need to play with a sense of repetition, for acclimatisation.

The two teams we have thus far beaten have wilted in the face of continued pressure after our first goal.

However, Spurs are a different stripe from them; settled as a team, young (in terms of average age) and have won 70% of their matches.

A draw? Fine by me.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see both our full backs changed for this one. Beyond that, maybe a bit of a shuffle on the bench - Antonio probably dropped from the 18 to accommodate Carroll or Hernandez.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

two wins against this lot would be great but I can see a draw in the league and a win in the cup for us.

league wise the only change maybe snoddy for yarmolenko who was poor.

Hernandez on bench for perez .think this game will be too early for the carthorse. expect him to appear and score the winner against them in the cup.

fab
zab diop Balbuena masuaka
noble rice obiang
yarmolenko arnie Anderson

subs Adrian fredericks ogbonna cresswell Snodgrass Hernandez diagana

1-0 arnie
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:A repeat performance of the Manchester United game , please .
Yes please
I'm coming down for this and certainly looking for an improvement on my last visit for the Wolves game!
We are heading in the right direction but there is a lot of work still needed. I would like to see Big Andy on the bench, whatever people think of him, he is a game changer.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

They will put oyt their strongest possible side for the league game, and a third string for the league cup.

Their first 11 are simply better than ours. We'll lose the league game (I'll predict 2-0). The league cup could be a different matter..
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Not sure why so much pessimism around the league game, we will be on the back of a 2 week break, we have shown our front foot game can cause teams problems and are this s***s team actaully that good?
Fancy us ti record another 3-1 home win.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It wouldn't surprise me if Hernandez made the starting eleven for this one. Little nippy strikers with decent movement are what Spurs dont like.
I would like to see snodgrass get a game if for nothing else but his tremendous set piece delivery, as Spurs have struggled defending corners this season
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Most spurs fans I know think that set pieces are their Achilles heel this season