West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread (20/10)

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Unlucky not to get anything out of today’s game.
We were the better team in second half.
Ref was shocking - spurs 12th man.
traxop

Post by traxop »

I thought we did well, we forced Spurs, they had to resort to managing the game out that second half. There were periods when they had to pass the ball among their backs just to nullify the momentum we had gotten.

In years past, these top 6 teams would have been gunning for a second or third, but we've shown we're able to retain the ball and gain parity in spells against these sides this season. These last two games have shown that we do need a Lanzini or Whilshere to create and dictate in the final third. The movement off the ball by Chicaritho and Arnie showed what could be possible with creative midfielder pulling the strings.

Progress is being made, even if we aren't the return in points.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Edit
Last edited by simonirons on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

People are coating Anderson because he was utter ****. Not just for the goal, but his corner attempts. 3 in a row and he can’t beat the first man. Running into opposition players and giving the ball away. Awful performance. Played for 56 minutes and was **** for every one of them.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

When you cost 40m, which is nearly double any other player we have signed you need more.
Of course he will be judged against it.
He may well come good, but for that price I expect more of an immediate impact from an attacking aspect.
Would play Snoddy over him
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Thought we played well and deserved something from the game. Impressed again with both Diop and Rice, gutted for Yarmelenko.

Thought the bench and subsequent substitutions shows how weak our squad depth is in terms of quality, not new information granted!

Feeling positive about the Pellegrini era.
Patito

Post by Patito »

brothernero wrote:
I think we were. We created hardly anything and as the home team made their keeper make just one save.
Well that’s just a straight up lie isn’t it.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Anderson Antonio Poor.

Strange sub to bring Diangsna on
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

There is a clear witch-hunt against Antonio now on here. When you single out a player who only played 20 mins and actually did pretty well in that time it is clear people's opinions are just herd mentality.
He came on and was direct. He beat Trippier a few times and also used the ball well.A number of his crosses were just cleared by Spurs defenders. He linked up well with Creaswell (whose crossing was absymal).

I really don't know what else people expected from him in the time he was on
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

brothernero wrote:
He made one O'k but nothing special save. Other than that he was standing against the post smoking a fag all game. Lloris wont have an easier game all year. I think me and you must have watched completely different games.

We were utter pony.
Funny that the BBC among others gave Lloris MOTM then.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Marky wrote:Anderson Antonio Poor.

Was a strange sub, but thought he did alright. Looked dangerous 2nd half. A bit raw at times when he’s tried to do a bit too much in a tight situation, but didn’t look out of place. Would have brought Hernandez on at that point though.

Pochettino says they should have scored 2 more. **** is a liar. Spent the whole 2nd half defending a 0-1 lead against a team 15th in the table. Bit hard to score 2 more like that. P***k.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:When you cost 40m, which is nearly double any other player we have signed you need more.
Of course he will be judged against it.
He may well come good, but for that price I expect more of an immediate impact from an attacking aspect.
Would play Snoddy over him
When you pay that amount of money, you want a very good player. For the life of me, I can't see what he brings to a team like ours. Abysmal passing, shocking defending, weak as a kitten when he does try to tackle, shooting non-existent. I could go on. He seems to be getting worse if anything and what makes it all worse is that the guy seems not to care. Waste of a lot of money.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Marky wrote:Anderson Antonio Poor.

I thought the kid did ok. Shows how limited we are in terms of depth.

Masuaku on an on the left with Anderson switching to the right might have played out differently though.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

brothernero wrote:FFS are some of you really that idiotic that you cant accept that others have a difference of opinion. Why does that make someone "on Something" or an attention seeker"

Some thought we played well, some thought we did not, other thought we were great, other thing we were pony. It's called AN OPINION.
No you are the one being idiotic. Not every comment is an OPINION and you are very good at making stupid comments to provoke a reaction. No idea what the word for that is.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

We were sh*t. They were sh*t.

They nicked a goal. We didn't.

Meh.
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by brothernero »

:asleep:
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Just got home. Thought we we're decent today & deserved a draw. Fair play to Pellergrini for getting a tune out of the players in the second half.

Tottenham we're poor going forward but I have to say, they put in an outstanding defensive performance in the second half.

Diop, Snodgrass & Rice played really well. Arnie worked his socks off but it wasn't his day.

We missed Obiang massively in the first half. It's important to note that we went into that game with a midfield 3 of Rice, Noble & Snodgrass. We're not going to have much possession wise. We've been lacking in the midfield area for a long time now

I like Noble but he had a poor game today.

Anderson had a good game against Manchester United, but today he was absolutely terrible. I'm going to put this one down as an off day, but he needs to start showing more.

Our lack of fire power is worrying. If Arnie isn't firing, then we don't look like we'll ever score a goal.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:There is a clear witch-hunt against Antonio now on here. When you single out a player who only played 20 mins and actually did pretty well in that time it is clear people's opinions are just herd mentality.
He came on and was direct. He beat Trippier a few times and also used the ball well.A number of his crosses were just cleared by Spurs defenders. He linked up well with Creaswell (whose crossing was absymal).

I really don't know what else people expected from him in the time he was on
Antonio easily had his best game of the season, it wasn't 2016 Antonio, but he was a threat.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

That was the worst Spurs team in about 4 years. What a missed opportunity
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Close game for me, if our keeper had pulled off a couple of wonder saves and we scored with our only shot of the match we would all be saying they are heroes, can't slag them off when someone does it to us,
It was a 50/50 game and spurs got the luck that just edged it, can't grumble and look for a scapegoat, move on to next week