West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread (20/10)

Post by vietnammer »

Since when did MOTD start at 8:30? Used to be 7:30 (I've been out of the country a lot). All coffeed up by 7:15 I was
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

If you're looking for positives, it does seem like the susceptibility to randomly being thrashed – by anyone, including promoted fodder – seems to have been cauterized. It was a two-year trend and we've just had an unusually tough string of fixtures in order to test it. Even if other aspects aren't happening fast enough, that's progress.

It helps having half a side who can be relied upon to nearly always take the right option – I'd put Rice, Snodgrass, Zabaleta, and Diop in that category, with Fabianski (marked down only for his regularly squiffy distribution) and Balbuena not far behind. Only one of those six players was a regular starter last season.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

We have no attcking creativity from central attacking positions (aka lanzini) so we find ourselves constantly spreading it left and right, which we do well but with a lot of unsuccessful crosses. For all of arnies strengths im not sure he's known for his heading ability. We might have been better off putting Anderson in the no10 role when he was struggling out wide and then put Antonio there.

Hurry up lanzini, we miss you buddy. :wink:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Arnautovic is not the issue - he scores, creates or threatens every game - it's the absence of anything else.

Balbuena and Diop miss clear opportunities from set plays almost every game, while Anderson, Snodgrass, Noble, Obiang, Antonio etc have scored how many?

In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, the support attackers have to score goals. They (Yarmolenko excepted) are failing presently. The one cop-out clause is the standard of opposition so far, but I'm not sure that really holds.

None of them are delivering to the level that Payet, Lanzini and Ayew did in terms of goals.
He isn't an issue but playing him as an out and out striker is IMHO. He comes deep a lot to seek out the ball and then no one is in the box, he strays offside a fair amount and his instinct and finishing in the box itself isn't as good as an out and out striker.
We have eight games against bottom eight coming up so get our best finisher on the pitch. Arsenal have managed to use aubeyamang and lacazette together with aubeyamang playing a bit wider and we can with arnie and hernandez. Arnie can still wreak havoc playing a bit wider and deeper and we saw in the last 25 mins how well they can link up together. We need goals in the next two months and hernandez scores them
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

richneal wrote: Would be nice to buy a player who can take a corner.
Snodder's corners were bang on, but no one got a proper header in.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Although no one has mentioned on here, wasn't there goal a touch offside, not seen any inline replays.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

vietnammer wrote:Since when did MOTD start at 8:30? Used to be 7:30 (I've been out of the country a lot). All coffeed up by 7:15 I was
Morning mate, completely unrelated to WHU but looking at your user name I'm making some big assumptions! have you ever taken the water plane from Hanoi to Halong Bay? Was wondering what its like, my missus does not like flying!!

I can't use this message thing to do this privately so apologies to everyone else especially UTJ, I seem to be able to read messages but not create them?

Thanks for any info you may have cheers
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Rasp wrote:Although no one has mentioned on here, wasn't there goal a touch offside, not seen any inline replays.
Kane certainly was, and arguably restricting Fab's view, but Lamela runs from quite deep to get on the cross.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We have eight games against bottom eight coming up so get our best finisher on the pitch. Arsenal have managed to use aubeyamang and lacazette together with aubeyamang playing a bit wider and we can with arnie and hernandez.

Arnie can still wreak havoc playing a bit wider and deeper and we saw in the last 25 mins how well they can link up together.
Our two best moves - the offside goal ad Lloris's wonder save from Arnie in injury time - both created by snappy interchanges between Arnie and Hernandez, I'd definitely give them a go at creating a partnership, especially with Yarmo out & Antonio out of favour so the 3 forward line needs a change.

There was a brief period last year where Arnie & Lanzini struck up an awesome partnership, definitely worth trying to replicate it.
Rasp

Post by Rasp »

Kane actually leaned backwards for the ball to pass him, how could he not be offside.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Overriding feeling is just disappointed.

Neither team were that impressive really and I came away feeling like we could have and maybe should have taken something out of that had we taken a chance or two.

Their keeper made two or three very good saves and we wasted one or two other opportunities with either poor efforts or a lack of conviction.

Back four were superb. Diop in particular is looking like an absolutely top draw player.

Rice didn't do a lot wrong again, certainly not out of place against the top teams. Snodgrass put a decent shift in and you could tell that Noble was trying to make things happen.

Where we were really let down was out wide. Both Yarmolenko and Anderson were very poor and offered nothing. That in turn makes it so much harder for those around them when they get on the ball and try to play.

Our last two home games have shown us the best and worst in Anderson. Gets an early goal and is full of confidence against Man Utd, fluffs three corners gets some stick and goes missing against Spurs.

Certainly not the kind of gap between the two clubs that many would have you believe and I have every confidence that we will win the cup game if they come with half a squad.
Rasp

Post by Rasp »

We are going to win the cup game no matter what ****ing squad they bring. COYI.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

vietnammer wrote:Since when did MOTD start at 8:30? Used to be 7:30 (I've been out of the country a lot). All coffeed up by 7:15 I was
Shouldn’t have bothered and don’t know why I watched it myself..... Spurs put in a gritty performance had to dig deep and only analysed how great Lamela. Nothing on the penalty on Diangana or the 4-5 fouls that could/should have been yellows for Spurs but Snodgrass should’ve been sent off for a nasty challenge according to Murphy that happened right in front of the ref and wasn’t even given as a foul.......

not a word on how well we played in the second half and pushed Spurs back and unlucky not to get a point (thought the first half fairly even, average from both sides)
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Not sure about the goal being offside but here are a few screen grabs for those asking...

I have seen them given and it is hard to see how Kane is not interfering with play (he bends backwards to let the ball go past him) but it feels a bit like clutching at straws to me as the cross was clearly aimed for Lamella.

Kane was certainly in an offside position...

But he clearly doesn't touch or make an attempt to play the ball either...

Even Kane's first instinct was to have a good look at the lineo before celebrating...

I think the issue here is the rule itself, not the way in which Kane uses it to his advantage. He is actually one of the best in the game at using the offside rule to his advantage. He will often take up a position clearly offside and let play catch up with him. Makes him very hard to mark.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Rasp wrote:Although no one has mentioned on here, wasn't there goal a touch offside, not seen any inline replays.
It was a cleverly worked goal all within the new offside rules [ I think ] - Initially it looked offside until I remembered that a player isn't offside anymore when he's in an offside position .

I really don't know how defenders are suppose to cope with this new ruling .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Since the Andrew Marr Show started at 10am .

Bloody programmers messing with Old People's minds .
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Were the Tottenham fans in the ground watching a stream of the game or are they just a bit slow? There seemed to be a bit of a delayed reaction to stuff happening which I’ve not noticed with any other team before.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

aaronhammer wrote:Were the Tottenham fans in the ground watching a stream of the game or are they just a bit slow? There seemed to be a bit of a delayed reaction to stuff happening which I’ve not noticed with any other team before.
I thought that. It was genuinely weird
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:There is a clear witch-hunt against Antonio now on here. When you single out a player who only played 20 mins and actually did pretty well in that time it is clear people's opinions are just herd mentality.
He came on and was direct. He beat Trippier a few times and also used the ball well.A number of his crosses were just cleared by Spurs defenders. He linked up well with Creaswell (whose crossing was absymal).

I really don't know what else people expected from him in the time he was on
He did beat his man on a few occasions with raw speed which was encouraging but his final pass into the box was very poor. I sat behind the goal that we was attacking for the second half and he needed to pick out his man instead of just hit and hope.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Well the fact he beat his man was more than Anderson could do.
At the end of the game when Spurs have a lot of men back it isn't that easy to pick out our attackers, especially as we don't have much in the way of midfield runners.
All his crosses got delivered i the box and most led to a last ditch clearance or at least the defenders having to be alert to deal with them. On another day one of those falls nicely for someone.
All of Cresswell's went far too long when he had a lot of time to look up and pick someone out

tbf the only player who can deliver a pin-point cross in our squad is Snoddy