West Ham Utd 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread (20/10)

Post by GaryP »

Didn't even shown the penalty incident on Goals on Sunday.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Antonio has been utter garbage all season. However, thought he was ok yesterday.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

A few thoughts from me:

But for Lloris, we'd have at least drawn the match and could have won it had the French drunk not played such a blinder.

I though the atmosphere was sadly muted yesterday. It was London derby v the Spuds: surely we should have been up for it.

Is Yarmalenko's injury going to open the door for a returning AC? Maybe, but what happens when AC gets the next inevitable long term injury. Hope it's not going to turn out as badly as most people are saying. Ruptured Achilles is nasty.

Am I alone in thinking Cresswell looked OK?

The more I watch Fabianski the more I think Adrian may be moving on next window.

Anderson needed a kick up the arse from someone, possibly Zabalata.

Balbuena and Diop should be nailed on to start every game. They are growing together into a formidable paring.

Should Zabaleta have challenged Lamela ahead of the goal? Yes,but it would probably have lead to a penalty. Overall he had a good game, I thought.

When is Fredricks going to show on match days? Has he fallen out of favour with the manager. Same goes for Obiang, who I thought was playing his way back into a starting position.

I thought the youngster Diangana showed a nice touch. Fast and skillful, he could turn out to be a hidden gem

Thought Antonio looked something like it when he came on. I think that will be his place in the team now, an impact player, big, strong and fast who can attack alongside Arnie.

I felt for the big Austrian. But for that sod Lloris he'd have had a hat trick!

I thought the manager handled the game well and his subs were well made. Long term I feel we are still heading in the right direction but boy do we miss Lanzini!

:crest:
Last edited by Upton Carp on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Was Obiang injured yesterday as not even on bench. Thought he has been playing well with Noble and Rice
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Easy to blame Anderson for the goal but what an earth was Noble doing?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

GaryP wrote:Didn't even shown the penalty incident on Goals on Sunday.
Thought it was marginal at best, to be fair.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

The penalty claim was a bit hopeful really as grady was falling over when the defender touched him. Not for me, although I'd have liked it to have been given
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

not a penalty for me and zab could have got closer but I doubt it would have made much difference. the harm was done by Anderson not bothering to challenge the crosser or at least make it harder for him.

one mistake and a goal conceded just like brighton.

teams only need one goal to beat us as they know that if they keep arnie quiet then we are stuffed.

that said we should at least had one goal. didn't deserve to lose but we did.

hopefully do them in the cup.

atmosphere for a match against spurs was terrible, worst for years. too many tourists in the griound and the odd spud in the TBL. what have we become.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

HoppyHammer wrote:Was Obiang injured yesterday as not even on bench. Thought he has been playing well with Noble and Rice
He was declared unavailable on Saturday morning, after his knee surgery last season that have to be careful, the view is he should be back for Leicester ....
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

The harm was done by Noble taking ages on the ball. We were in control of possession and effectively on the attack. It was clear that Tottenham were hassling us off the ball and that we didn’t have time to f*** around. Noble turned into trouble and dwelt on the ball, and seconds later they’ve scored.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Agree that was classic Noble. Lose the ball by dwindling on it for too long in the middle of the park and the next passage of play sees the ball end up in our net. He didn’t have a particularly good game really, but not many did, certainly not Anderson either.
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

Haven't watched the game back, however at the time I thought it was a decent performance, and an improvement upon when we played them last season and drew 1-1. Perhaps that says more about spurs than it does us... They're main threat was the pace of Lucas Moura, other than that nothing to get excited about. Although seeing the list of players they had missing on here maybe not a surprise

From what I have seen this season, I like the look of the side more than last season, and the fixtures provided haven't been the easiest. My real disappointment was Brighton. At the time Wolves & Bournemouth were, but neither appear to be easy games for anyone this season.

I keep saying performance was OK to good most weeks against various sides but we need to start winning games, before it becomes a habit.

Noble has been back to his best in recent weeks but thought he was off the pace on Saturday, wanting a little to long on the ball.

Anderson couldn't have been more off the pace if he tried. I know he will need time, and shows in his inconsistency, but have faith he will come good eventually.

At first I didn't really see the big deal with Rice, but this season he has been top class!

The depth worries me now Yarmo is out injured as I really can't see many goals in the supporting players, relying too much on Arnie
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I think we are doing ourselves an injustice for those saying spurs were poor and we were average. It was an even, cagey game and I thought we nullified each other for most of it. We are a bit of a different animal now as the spurs of the last 3/4 seasons would have pressed as and turned over possession time after time. They didn't even attempt to press us as they know we have the players to hurt them on the counter and we simply keep the ball much better under pressure. Ok 6 losses from 9 tells a different story but luckily we all have a pair of eyes.

This season was all about moulding us into a pellegrini side and the process is still in its infancy.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I think we are doing ourselves an injustice for those saying spurs were poor and we were average. It was an even, cagey game and I thought we nullified each other for most of it. We are a bit of a different animal now as the spurs of the last 3/4 seasons would have pressed as and turned over possession time after time. They didn't even attempt to press us as they know we have the players to hurt them on the counter and we simply keep the ball much better under pressure. Ok 6 losses from 9 tells a different story but luckily we all have a pair of eyes.

This season was all about moulding us into a pellegrini side and the process is still in its infancy.
Spurs were missing their two most creative players in Alli and Erickson. Plus Kane is a shadow of the player he was last season and looks heavy legged and knackered. Imo we therefore missed a great opportunity to get points off them. Having said that, apart from Arnie, who was going to get goals to do that? Chicharito on at half time might have helped more.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

They did press us in the first half. They were giving us no time on the ball, which is why Noble ended up losing it which led to their goal. I thought we were being bullied out of it a bit. Despite the fact they did that in the first half, they rarely did anything with the ball when they had it. Not having Alli or Eriksen probably had something to do with that though.

The 2nd half they gambled on defending a lead for 45 minutes which they have their goalkeeper to thank. They didn't really need to press us at 1-0 up though. The disappointment comes from the fact it was a weaker Spurs team, their best player wasn't in the game at all, and we had our chances.
Absolutely Hammered!

We've missed our most creative player all season in lanzini and we can't even replace him with Wilshire. Obiang, arguably the next most creative central player unavailable too. Carroll could have helped in the end but not available, We all have issues.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

kentishiron wrote:Easy to blame Anderson for the goal but what an earth was Noble doing?
And Cresswell.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

What a drab game that one was, easily one to forget. I thought we did ok defensively for the majority of the game but were toothless going forwards. Anderson is clearly not a wide man, same as Lanzini isn't either both are floating players who need to be given a free role (like Arnie) and not asked to defend too much.

We need to find a way of unleashing the 2 attacking midfielders (who need to be more central in a sort of 4-3-2-1 formation) and Arnie which I think we had started to do v Everton. Unfortunately Spurs had too much quality in the full back areas and overloaded us.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

kentishiron wrote:Easy to blame Anderson for the goal but what an earth was Noble doing?
Looking/waiting for someone to pass to... something he found himself doing for most of the game due to our lack of movement.

They did pick Noble's pocket as he dithered on the ball but we recovered from that and managed to get everyone other than Arnautovic back behind the ball marking their men.
wildkard wrote: And Cresswell.
Cresswell and Anderson had Sissoko and Trippier contained. The goal came from Sissoko completely losing Anderson for a free run down the line before then turning him inside out for a free cross onto Lamela's head (who was also totally unmarked as Rice completely ignored him and Zabaleta had to make a choice between two).

The goal doesn't happen if Anderson makes a better effort to track Sissoko.
Absolutely Hammered!

Spurs, Brighton, Everton conceded goals are all from crosses. Must do better.