Leicester City 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Re: ⚽ Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/10)

Post by the pink palermo »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: The job this team needs is a striker with great movement who can finish. That is exactly what hernandez is.
Great movement ?

I didn't see it in the first half yesterday, nor today when I watched it a second time.

If that's what you are citing as one of his good points, I'll stand by my assessment that yesterday he was awful.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

And that, of course, is your perogative. Doesn't seem many people agree with you mind, and to me it seems like you made up your mind on him before he came and now it is just confirmation bias at play.

Similar to how my confirmation biases influence my opinion on Carroll''s performances tbf
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Doesn't seem many people agree with you mind,
Which is why I took the trouble to watch the first half again , and as I said earlier, I'll watch the second half later.

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
and to me it seems like you made up your mind on him before he came and now it is just confirmation bias at play.
Yes, I had made my mind up about him before he came, I've seen plenty of him over the years. Decent in the box, anonymous elsewhere.

As for his efforts yesterday I saw nothing to suggest that as soon as the manager has a credible alternative they won't be picked ahead of Hernandez.

In the 15 months we've had him he's cost us more than Carroll and contributed no more than him.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

You’re listing the number of touches to get away from all of his intelligent play. His movement, his runs, the way he draws defenders away from the ball. You will discredit him whatever he does and I’m glad most disagree with you about yesterday.

Your mate Noble has had plenty of touches recently. They involve giving the ball away against Tottenham leading to a goal and getting himself sent off. Still, first name on the team sheet eh...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:You’re listing the number of touches to get away from all of his intelligent play. His movement, his runs, the way he draws defenders away from the ball. You will discredit him whatever he does and I’m glad most disagree with you about yesterday.

Martello

I watched the first half again to check whether I had been harsh on him.

Intelligent play ? Runs ? Drawing defenders away ?

I'd be delighted if he was doing any of that .Yesterday, not a sausage.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I’ll let you stick with that PP...not a lot I can say to change your mind anyway.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Watch the goal again then, pinky.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Pattio - will do :thup:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I thought Leicester failed to understand what sort of free kick was coming in, they were still expecting a shot. Their marking was all over the place. Yes, they marked Hernandez rather than Rice, but rice is about 6'3". Why would you not mark him. Pinky may be being a bit harsh on Hernandez but He's basically on the right track. Didn't have much effect on the game to me
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I feel that the only role for Hernandez is when we desperately need a goal at the end of a game, we've got Antonio, Carroll and Arnautovic on the pitch already, and we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink at the other team. As a lone striker, he doesn't have the size or the skills to hold the ball up and, unless he can manage to draw a foul, we may as well pass the ball directly to the opposition. It's not his fault but, the reality is that he's just not suited for Premier League football.

Anderson's problem is simply is price tag. He's cost at least 50% more than any other player that we've ever bought and we all have the expectation that he'll be at least 50% better than any other player in the team and he isn't. He's got a great first touch and he is able to beat his man, albeit less often than we'd like but, his final ball or end product is lacking. It might just be a confidence thing and having the weight of our expectations on his shoulders. Players like Arnautovic and Payet thrive on being the 'main man' but, I suspect Anderson is like Lanzini and happier to play second fiddle.

As for the others, I think we're sorted at the back. Zabaleta has been much better this season now that he's realized that he doesn't play for Citeh any more and has a billion quids worth of team mates who can keep possession all day. Arthur had his best game of the season so far and the Diop/Balbuena pairing is rapidly becoming the best I can remember in the last decade. I'm also happy to eat a huge slice of humble pie with respect to Fabianski: he's the best keeper we've had since a peak form Rob Green. Rice continues to improve and we really do need to sort his contract out because he'll be pulling on someone else's shirt next season if we don't. Thirty grand a week for the bloke who is likely to captain the club for the next ten years is chicken feed in today's market.

Snodgrass has been fantastic this season: easily the hardest worker we have and it's a pity we wasted the first eighteen months of his time with us. Hopefully, we'll get another season or so out of him before the wheels fall off. The less said about Noble yesterday the better. Sadly, I think he's going to be another Kevin Nolan: a player that can't really cut it at the top level relatively early in his thirties. He's not going to be another Billy Bonds or Teddy Sheringham and I reckon this might be his last season as a first-choice player.

I thought Diangana played pretty well and it's worth persisting with him until Yarmolenko is fit again as he's a better winger than Antonio and we're probably going to need Snodgrass in the middle for quite a while yet.

On the subject of Antonio, that was his best game for us in what seems like about two seasons. One of our issues is that the team is really geared up to play with Arnie up front just like we were geared up to play with Carroll up front when BFS was the guv'nor. I think the reality is that Antonio is the best Arnie-lite replacement we have in the same way as late-period Carlton was the most like for like replacement we had for Carroll. The problem is the same in both cases: neither replacement is anywhere near as good as the player they are replacing and the rest of the team doesn't have the nous to adapt when the stars aren't available.

I must admit that I'm quite impressed with what I've seen from Pellegrini this year. It's pretty obvious that he does know what he's doing and I reckon this is about the best we've played since the first half of Sam's last season or the Payet season before he got crocked at Everton. Nice to see that we started with three academy players on the pitch and two more on the bench too. A bit more luck and a few more refereeing decisions going our way and we'll make the top half this season and actually have something to build on.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Clucking Bell wrote:I feel that the only role for Hernandez is when we desperately need a goal at the end of a game, we've got Antonio, Carroll and Arnautovic on the pitch already, and we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink at the other team. As a lone striker, he doesn't have the size or the skills to hold the ball up and, unless he can manage to draw a foul, we may as well pass the ball directly to the opposition. It's not his fault but, the reality is that he's just not suited for Premier League football.
But that is the point. In the main, he won't be asked to play as a lone striker under Pelligrini, holding it up. Pelligrini likes to pass through the middle and in that style Hernandez is ideal.

In this game, we didn't have Arnoutovic so there was less support for him, which completely evaporated once we had 10 men

When Arnie is fit the two of them can work in tandem, even if it is not as a traditional front two.

They have had very limited opportunities to play together under Pelligrini but i think in the next couple of months they will
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

goa127 wrote:I thought Leicester failed to understand what sort of free kick was coming in, they were still expecting a shot. Their marking was all over the place. Yes, they marked Hernandez rather than Rice, but rice is about 6'3". Why would you not mark him. Pinky may be being a bit harsh on Hernandez but He's basically on the right track. Didn't have much effect on the game to me
What happens is that they expect Hernandez to go up the middle, but when the closest man to him looks away he circles around, and suddenly he's going to get a free run at the back post. Rice's man correctly realizes that Declan Rice 15-18 yards out is less of an immediate danger than the chance the ball is played to Chicha's feet unmarked inside 10 yards given his talent as a finisher. He leaves Rice to cut off the run, and now it's chaos as the ball comes to Rice, everyone scrambles to recover and Balbuena gets 2 bites. That's a sneaky run, they had the kick fairly well covered before then, a high line near the edge of the box and good numbers.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Hernandez is never going to do a good job playing the Arnie role. He simply does not have the attributes as a player to fufil that role. He would be far more effective playing off of Arnie, but I can't see Pellegrini playing with two up front.

Even as a sub, Carroll is a much better option than Hernandez. It's my belief that AC would be a great impact sub, but I doubt that he could stay fit enough to even manage that.

Hernandez is a good player, a proven goal poacher, but he wasn't the right signing for us given the way we play.

Thought we played o.k yesterday. Nothing more.......
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm starting to think Anderson telegraphs his moves a little too much. Almost every attempt to take on his man is anticipated, aswell as many of his passes. It's possible that he's perhaps trying a little too hard and playing with a little too much anxiety. I think he's an intelligent player and clearly does have vision, he just needs to settle and relax a little... play more instinctive. Its a shame lanzini was injured as I think they'd have been good together.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't you think by now, 10 games or so in we should at the very least see some more consistency ?

if he isn't another Payet or Di Canio at least go past a man or get the crowd to it's feet ?

his fans keep saying "There's a good player in there" "Give him time he'll come good" or something along those lines.

we've seen a couple of really decent performances, quite a few okay performances and a couple of stinkers.

it's time to deliver more good games than bad, right now most are not even asking for earth shattering performances although for the kind of money we paid I would like to see some, but is a 9/10 performance really asking too much ?

a belter of a goal ? a couple of assists ? making his opponent give up a direct free kick on the edge of the box, of heaven forbid a penalty ?

I don't think that's asking for too much and quite a few others are asking for something akin to that.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Zab and the two Fabs in Crooks team of the week.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Looking back it was a good point and a good performance due to the problems with injuries and Nobes. If we had the 2 centre halves and Adrian playing from last year we would have lost that game.

Great effort from 3/4 of the team. An extra well done from me to Snodgrass after his first stint with us. He seems to be fitter and becoming a leader on the park. His work rate on Saturday lead by example.

Areas of concern:

1. Injuries......

2. Anderson - Work rate is just about ok and looks to have the talent but is going to need a lot of time to get used to the premiership.

3. Hernandez - Does not add anything to the team. He can score but his work rate is not good enough for the premiership. Their defence had an easy game until Antonio came on. I have had many a discussion with people who have said that he needs to play in a two but we are on our third manager since we got him and he only plays when we are limited up front or the mickey mouse cup. I would sell him.

With a few less injuries we would of won that game by a couple of goals.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Great result really and Leicester were constantly banging at the door after the sending off so a deflection or some kind of luck was always going to go their way for their persistence. It was a fair result but you can argue our defence were hard done by as they were so solid.

The offside trap that was a disaster at Anfield has been fantastic recently, any cross from deep positions has been caught offside. Ihenacho was offside for the full 60 or so of the minutes he played :lol:

Manuel's persistence with tactics even after a bad start will see us come good eventually i think as we are starting to click. I think we have been so unlucky in many games this season and with some more luck like Leicester had we could easily be in the top 10. We could also do with more luck in the injury department yet here is another season with a massive list of injuries so i think its more down to this clubs infrastructure and facilities as opposed to luck...
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I get what you're saying cellar-door, but as I was watching the free kick being taken I remember thinking that we seemed to have an overload of players on the back post, a decent cross will put us in here. Yes, Hernandez makes a good run but Leicester still seemed to have one eye on a direct shot being the danger. Perhaps due to Snodgrass's reputation from dead balls?