Leicester City 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: ⚽ Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/10)

Post by Colours never run »

By the sea -

What to do with him? As I've stated earlier, at the rate he's currently going, sell him on next summer to the highest bidder whilst he'll still fetch a fair price instead of risking his value and reputation in world football dropping considerably the longer we keep him beyond that. Very important caveat being, if he continues playing as he's mostly done to date, so there is some benefit of doubt offered to him if he manages to pick it up the longer the season goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a walking disaster, far from it, I just battle with the idea he's our biggest ever money signing by a distance who's not producing anywhere near enough quality to justify a Club our size to fork out for, plus his hefty wages for good measure, should the trend continue.

The hope is he somehow manages to get to grips with the intensity of the league the longer he's used to it but I have my doubts now after seeing him play a while in this League. I just don't see a positional change making him markedly better and play more consistent, on the wing drifting in to the final third is just about his best bet which he's currently doing and has to persist at it. He's got to learn to take games by the scruff of the neck if he's to truly understand what's needed, but I see little sign of it and worryingly more signs he's actually preferring to hide during games instead.

Here's hoping the penny drops 1 day and a switch goes off in his head to really kick on because thus far it really isn't good enough.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Morocco Mole wrote:
Chicharito was very good and led the line well. That was more like the Mexico Hernandez as far as I could tell...
I thought he put in a good shift. As always we couldn't get the ball to a striker in the box, but he made good runs, he drew defenders to him, and he worked hard. One thing he seems to have is a certain gravity. Defenders are terrified of losing him because of his reputation (and results) as a goalscorer. Seems like whenever he makes a run, the defense goes into scramble mode. Even on today's goal, he somehow got completely unmarked, Rice's man left him all alone to chase Chicha and Rice made a beautiful header. It's something you don't always notice live, but he just is so good at moving the back line out of position, wrongfooting players and generally causing chaos. It's amazing that he can do it so often without being particularly big, particularly strong, or particularly pacey. He's just very smart and sees the field so well. Really wish we'd had at least one season of him and Payet together.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Cellar-door wrote:
I thought he put in a good shift. As always we couldn't get the ball to a striker in the box, but he made good runs, he drew defenders to him, and he worked hard. One thing he seems to have is a certain gravity. Defenders are terrified of losing him because of his reputation (and results) as a goalscorer.
100%

It often surprises me how many fans don't seem to rate him and what he offers. The bloke is one of the most intelligent strikers in the League.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

With Anderson it might be in part the formation we are playing. The poor defending of the early weeks has seen as morph into a narrow 3 in midfield and he cannot play as one of those. When he was brought I suspect we wanted to p,at either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 with home playing as part of a mobile 3 behind a main striker.

I suspect as the Arsenal game shows that freedom would have suited him far better than the more rigid wide role he is currently required to play, he is not a winger/wide striker more a mobile attacking midfielder.

With Noble misding I presume 3 games, if Obiang is not fit it will be interesting how MP intends to set up the midfield.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

I 'm beginning to doubt that Ogbonna will ever make it as centre forward
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Thought Declan was outstanding, the lad's only 19 and the way he took charge after Noble's moment of madness was top class ... maybe a few to many wayward passes but 10 v 11 makes it hard to find a man .... we must get his contract sorted, there will be big money offered come January if we don't ....
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

an eventful game on the pitch. first 15 mins Leicester in control and I feared the first goal however we soon got to grips with that and looked good until noble`s awful lunge. he has been doing that for a while and deserved to go. the penny must drop soon that we need to replace noble as he is too slow and there is always a red waiting for him.
once down to 10 men we again looked organised but weak down the left with Anderson not tracking back. saw Arthur pointing to him a few times.
agreed with first two subs as Hernandez couldn't hold the ball up and antonio did well causing them a few problems on his own.
cresswell coming on for Anderson also made sense but not sure why we bought ogbonna on to play midfield.
as a fullback or CB yes but not as a midfielder. better with fredericks or one of the youngsters.

fab - good no chance with the goal, unlucky not to get his first clean sheet
zab - good. combative performance. unlucky with the booking but they started to target him with pace.
diop - top performance from him again. no wonder PSG are interested
Balbuena - good performance again. pleased he scored
masuaka - good. best performance defensively for us and puts to bed the arguement for cresswell for now.
noble - awful challenge. too slow .
rice - top performance deserved MOTM. Future west ham captain. sign him up.
snoddy - good. busy puts effort in. decent delivery from set pieces.
anderson - poor. a few good movements. good shot at keeper but faded and doesnt support arthur much.
hernandez - average - not his game and rightly subbed. needs to produce more but better than normal.
diagana - average. doesnt look out of place offered good protection to zab until tiring second half.

antonio - another good sub appearance. like the old iron mike. telling that diagana gets selected ahead of him. time to wake up.
cresswell - average. now a reserve behind masuaka. good option from bench.
ogbonna - difficult to judge as he is now a central midfielder. had two good chances though.

overall a 1-1 was fair result. awful news after the match and we all send our condolences to leicester but for us it on to the next match. COYI
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

richneal wrote:I’m beginning to doubt that Ogbonna will ever make it as centre forward
I have to smile seeing it was him who missed our two big chances. Him and Balbuena were in the blooming box for that late one, a real change in how we play!

Overall, we did well to nearly win with 10 men and think we deserved to.

No criticism of anyone, think the arguments over Hernandez are weird as he (again) showed the guile and strength to hold up the ball and win fouls. He can’t be judged on much else. Before we had 10, the two who are there to create were not really providing much.

They all stuck to task manfully, Zaba, Balbuena, Diop and Rice were excellent. Snodgrass worked hard and passed well. Anderson flits in and out and seems devoid of confidence, but least has some invention in him. Want him centrally. Grady worked hard, still lacking a bit of impact, but not overawed.

Balbuena man of the match, he was impeccable throughout and has a bit of everything. Top class.

Did they really create much of anything good? They’ll feel they deserved a point, but we limited them well. More resolve than we have been credited with.

Credit to Antonio, worked defenders well, just a shame we lacked a bit of composure with the chance he had in the box.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we have a bit of grit now which in the past has been missing. we would have lost that match 4-1 last season.

apart from the first 4 games we have deserved a point at least in all games.

I worry about our injury list as this will hit us during a run of games that are easier and we should be looking to win most. now we will struggle due to lack of players.

of the injured 10 the following could be back before xmas
carroll - possibly on bench for spurs/burnley
reid -late December
wilshere - December
obiang - burnley ?

possible problem with arnie looming. cant see him being ready for spurs but will start against burnley.

fingers crossed time for us.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

I don't have a problem with Noble's red card itself.
I do have an issue with how these rules don't seem to be applied to our opponents. Last week Spurs got away with two elbows to head incidents - not even a yellow card for either, although that day Snodgrass half got away with a bad challenge late on too. But there have been more than a couple of others that have made horrible lunging, studs up tackles against us and gotten away with it. After seeing such surprising leniency at the World Cup I was beginning to think the yellow and red card rules had been relaxed, until today. For the studs up challenge, yes Noble should have gone, by the book. But considering what has been permitted this season so far, and that it wasn't a bad example of a challenge (I thought he posed little real danger to the opponent- he wasn't flying in out of control, and seemed to go across the front of Ndidi rather than into him - though admittedly I've only seen it once) I think we were very unlucky.

Now at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist - why was Yarmolenko's deflected shot awarded as an own goal, yet Ndidi's wasn't?
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
Now at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist - why was Yarmolenko's deflected shot awarded as an own goal, yet Ndidi's wasn't?
Ndidi’s shot was on-target though, not sure Yarmo’s was against Man Utd. Normally if a shot is deemed to be going in without the aid of a deflection they’ll give the goal to whoever struck the ball. Yarmolenko’s was a wicked deflection IIRC.

With regards to the red, the worst thing about it was it was about 3 feet in front of Michael Oliver. If it’d of been somewhere else on the park or if the ref would of had a slightly skewed view he could of got away with it. As I said earlier, there was no malice in the challenge, but it was late and it was dangerous. Noble has really let himself down with that one, and it’s cost us three points, and he’ll be suspended until the Man City game. :|
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

hammerman11 wrote:an eventful game on the pitch. first 15 mins Leicester in control and I feared the first goal however we soon got to grips with that and looked good until noble`s awful lunge. he has been doing that for a while and deserved to go. the penny must drop soon that we need to replace noble as he is too slow and there is always a red waiting for him.
once down to 10 men we again looked organised but weak down the left with Anderson not tracking back. saw Arthur pointing to him a few times.
agreed with first two subs as Hernandez couldn't hold the ball up and antonio did well causing them a few problems on his own.
cresswell coming on for Anderson also made sense but not sure why we bought ogbonna on to play midfield.
as a fullback or CB yes but not as a midfielder. better with fredericks or one of the youngsters.

fab - good no chance with the goal, unlucky not to get his first clean sheet
zab - good. combative performance. unlucky with the booking but they started to target him with pace.
diop - top performance from him again. no wonder PSG are interested
Balbuena - good performance again. pleased he scored
masuaka - good. best performance defensively for us and puts to bed the arguement for cresswell for now.
noble - awful challenge. too slow .
rice - top performance deserved MOTM. Future west ham captain. sign him up.
snoddy - good. busy puts effort in. decent delivery from set pieces.
anderson - poor. a few good movements. good shot at keeper but faded and doesnt support arthur much.
hernandez - average - not his game and rightly subbed. needs to produce more but better than normal.
diagana - average. doesnt look out of place offered good protection to zab until tiring second half.

antonio - another good sub appearance. like the old iron mike. telling that diagana gets selected ahead of him. time to wake up.
cresswell - average. now a reserve behind masuaka. good option from bench.
ogbonna - difficult to judge as he is now a central midfielder. had two good chances though.

overall a 1-1 was fair result. awful news after the match and we all send our condolences to leicester but for us it on to the next match. COYI

i thought Fabianski had a clean sheet v Chelsea a5 home ? Definitely a bargain at £7m as are Diiop and Bal uena at their price tags .Question Anderson and his abilty he needs to prove people wrong.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Thought Anderson was really poor again, but what do we do with him? Have we got anyone to come in and play in his position?
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Anyone else think we should have had a penalty for the foul on Antonio?
Graza

Post by Graza »

Having seen the highlights now
1) their defending for our goal was dreadful, absolutely woeful, reminiscent of our own at times.
2) I see why Noble got the red, but we've all seen them given as yellow, and had it been there would have been a bit of a moan but nothing too much. He's studs up, that's it really, he catches the guy but not at such pace. Even against a dirty play acting team like Leicester their boy wasn't rolling around like he'd broken his leg. I would have wanted one of theirs off for that challenge, but would have expected a yellow.
3) they only scored with a flukey deflected goal. Nothing else they did looked close to beating the keeper.

Would have been happy with a point before the game. Probably deserved all 3
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

the pink palermo wrote: I call it as I see it .I thought he was awful.
Should’ve gone to Specsavers?

Crouchy is right. Hernandez played well yesterday...and it doesn’t matter what he does, you will always be negative towards him, as calling him awful yesterday proves.

Why was he awful in your opinion? Is it because he isn’t Mark Noble?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Thought Hernandez did okay to be honest.

Nobles was a definite red but it's galling when you compare it to the 2 Man City assaults against Everton last week which got far less.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

the pink palermo wrote:
Good old crouchy ,making excuses for him week after week, good for you.

I call it as I see it .I thought he was awful.
I'm not that keen on him, but yesterday he was asked to play 'the Carlton Cole' role. There were some histrionics, but only once or twice. He received and recycled the ball several times, but was never going to be effective when the team was reduced to 10 men, especially a team with a debutant and new arrival to the league in it, his effectiveness was going to be reduced.

Nobody was 'awful' in my opinion. Sadly, calling it as I see it, Hernandez put in a more committed shift than our record signing.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

A small note.

We haven't conceded more than one goal (a game) in our last nine matches.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

A great match to watch , could have ended 3-3 it had that many chances .

I thought we did exceptionally well after Mark's unfortunate attempt at a tackle , we kept our composure and continued to play neat football .

The stand-outs for me were Rice , Snodgrass , Balbuena , Diop and Fabianski but when you're down to 10 men everyone needs to play their part and they did . I like what I see in Anderson , he is one clever player always looking to play to feet but I do think he needs a partner out there in midfield , with Lanzini back we'll see a much better player in the Brazilian , some lovely touches last night though . Zabaleta was his consistent self , I think he's been outstanding this season , always puts in a shift . Masuaku started off quite well looking to get in behind the Leicester defence but after Noble was sent off he wasn't allowed the same freedom .
Grady Diangana didn't look out of place last night , ok he tried to be a little too clever after outstanding work in the right of defence with that cross-field pass that could have proved costly but he'll learn . He's an outstanding prospect and he drew the free kick from which we scored .
That leaves just Hernandez - I thought he did quite well against the Leicester giants but unless he was going to get on the end of a pass inside the box you more or less know that he isn't going to be that effective up top on his own , he did try his best , dropping deep on occasion and put in one or two lay-offs but as I said you kinda knew he wasn't going to be that effective against Leicester on his own , would have been better playing Antonio up front - I'd still play Hernandez in a two but he's a player that no longer has a place in this Premiership set-up up front on his own , shame we didn't sign that Glenn Murray fella , eh . :)
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.