CCR4: West Ham Utd 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (20/10/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Tottenham Hotspur: match thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

It’s not that Anderson has one good game in 5, but inconsistency has always been his problem. He’s doing the same thing here. A run of games where he’s fantastic and a run of games where he’s awful. I certainly think there’s a confidence issue when he has a bad game or two, but I also think at LB we have a problem. Not excusing Anderson completely, but combine him having an off game and our LB’s having a mare...

He shouldn’t be benched just yet. Pellegrini should be having a chat and a cuddle. When he’s on form the whole team will benefit.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Ahem..
Dosent count, bit like pulling the fittest girl in the weight watchers class, I’m nearly 30 now and would give anything to see us lift a proper trophy.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

IronworksDave wrote:Spurs made 10 changes from the team that played EPL for them ... yes Dele and Erekson we're given 'fitness' time but it was pretty much Spurs reserves ...

Not our starting eleven so meh ... but just shows the lack of quality in the squad ...
So it was Spurs reserves against our reserves then?
But you are right - look at the difference in quality between those so-called reserve teams (and bear in mind that ten of Spurs' didn't play at the weekend!)
Undisputable first-choice players are, Sanchez, Eriksen and Alle.
Sissoko cost 34m and has played every Premier game he's been available for.
Harry Winks has just had two England caps, and has made 8 Premier League apps this season.
Son cost 22 million -three times AFC Player of the Year and a host of other personal award. He cost one and a half times our record signing at the time (Carroll). I reckon he's a better player than some think is our best, Lanzini. Also plays regularly. None of those are really reserves.
Wanyama, cost 13m, captains his national team, and played most games last season following a lengthy injury. Had another injury this season.
Aurier cost 22m - played every Champions League game last season. Kept out by the emergence of Trippier.
Llorente cost 13.6m at 31 years old, and was a goal every two games striker for a poor Swansea team only two seasons ago.

So the only real reserves were: the last two and Foyth (who cost nearly 12million and played every FA Cup game last season), Walker-Peters and Gazzinga.

We started without seven first-choice players (8 if you count Lanzini, 9 if you count Cresswell, 10 if you count Carroll). Also missing several second-choice players with injuries.

Sadly, our squads are almost leagues apart - but last night I thought we were by far the weaker team on paper, yet we took the game to them, especially in the second half, but just lacked the quality and cohesion to make it count. They took their chances well but only got them from our silly mistakes.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

My bad Somerset-Hammer.

How could I forgot the two play off final wins, an inter toto cup (shared) as well as reaching round 3 of the Uefa Cup & the 1st round of the Europa league :D
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Does anybody know the chap who collapsed on the train home Stratford to Southend Vic line last night?
I just wanted to check that he was OK.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Briggsy wrote:My bad Somerset-Hammer.

How could I forgot the two play off final wins, an inter toto cup (shared) as well as reaching round 3 of the Uefa Cup & the 1st round of the Europa league :D
I think you've got us a round too far in those last two competitions.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

so presumably after the post match presser where Pellers said that Anderson was only going for a pre-determined 45 minutes and ditto with Chicharito that he was prioritising the PL over the cup, what say you now lads ?
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Denzil wrote:Antonio works hard
Does he?[/quote]

so does DAZ washing powder, however you used to get better results with Daz washing powder
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:So it was Spurs reserves against our reserves then?
You are giving Spurs way too much credit. WHu first team should always beat Spurs reserves.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Not our starting eleven so meh ... but just shows the lack of quality in the squad ... So it was Spurs reserves against our reserves then?
I take your point ... and it is all about squad depth ... who did Spurs have missing?

GK - Lloris
Defence - Trippier - Rose - Alderweireld - Vertongen - Davies
Midfield - Dembele - Dier - Lamela - Moura
Striker - Kane

The 'gap' between us and them just gets bigger ... our owners are dragging us backwards whilst everyone else moves forward ...

We have some good youngsters now ... Rice, Diangana, Diop ... can we hang onto them? with GSB always looking to cash-in who knows ....
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:so presumably after the post match presser where Pellers said that Anderson was only going for a pre-determined 45 minutes and ditto with Chicharito that he was prioritising the PL over the cup, what say you now lads ?
I'd say good job someone's got their priorities right. never had much time for the mickey mouse cup.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:so presumably after the post match presser where Pellers said that Anderson was only going for a pre-determined 45 minutes and ditto with Chicharito that he was prioritising the PL over the cup, what say you now lads ?
I'd say the problem rests where it has done for a number of years, the Boardroom.

We're underinvested, lacking depth and quality - and by quality I don't just mean how good a player is, it's also about how fit he is, his availability.

If you keep shopping for the bargain basement value players like Wilshere - a good footballer, but one with a long enough history to know he's got a suspect physique -then you'll never have the depth to compete in two competitions.

It's not rocket science.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

trouble is it wont change under this lot. do we seriously believe they are going to spend 100m every summer , of course not.

That 100m followed years of under investment and was trying to paper over the cracks which have started to reappear.

what is the point of signing players like sanchez and perez for 4m fees. no one else would want them.
wilshere spent a season on loan at Bournemouth and yet eddie howe didn't fancy him.

Anderson - 40m for a player who didn't want to come here and we have paid double what he is worth. unless the light switches on he lacks the basics for the premier league, hard work. hazard silva all work hard for their teams and are miles better than him.

it was a scratch team against spurs but so was theirs and they won easily.

on a positive note diagana is looking good and deserves to start ahead of antonio and anderson.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

hammerman11 wrote:
it was a scratch team against spurs but so was theirs and they won easily.

on a positive note diagana is looking good and deserves to start ahead of antonio and anderson.
Ok , I've only seen the extended highlights but I wouldn't agree that Tottenham ' won easily ' - I'd say they won because our defence gifted them 3 goals , 3 sucker punches .

West Ham looked the better team to me and had more possession , if we'd had a fit Arnautovic and played Balbuena we'd have won the game - we had enough chances to win the game 4-3 but credit to Tottenham they defended and soaked up the pressure well .
Patito

Post by Patito »

the pink palermo wrote: I'd say the problem rests where it has done for a number of years, the Boardroom.

We're underinvested, lacking depth and quality - and by quality I don't just mean how good a player is, it's also about how fit he is, his availability.

If you keep shopping for the bargain basement value players like Wilshere - a good footballer, but one with a long enough history to know he's got a suspect physique -then you'll never have the depth to compete in two competitions.

It's not rocket science.

Bingo.
Patito

Post by Patito »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Ok , I've only seen the extended highlights but I wouldn't agree that Tottenham ' won easily ' - I'd say they won because our defence gifted them 3 goals , 3 sucker punches .

West Ham looked the better team to me and had more possession , if we'd had a fit Arnautovic and played Balbuena we'd have won the game - we had enough chances to win the game 4-3 but credit to Tottenham they defended and soaked up the pressure well .

You're spot on in my view, TOMOS.

We are naive and they know how to win games, it showed. Our overall performance was decent but we need to take our chances whilst not giving up easy ones at the back (which I don't think would have happened if Balbuena was in for Ogbonna).
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Also , correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't winning the League Cup automatically qualify you for the Europa League / Cup ?
If it's one competition we don't want to be involved in , or should I say our Owners don't want us involved in , it's the Europa Cup competition .

The aim of our present owners is to remain the Premier League at all costs , the Europa thingy is detrimental to that plan .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: You are giving Spurs way too much credit. WHu first team should always beat Spurs reserves.
Maybe in the old days when teams had a clear first eleven and then an obviously inferior second eleven, then any top flights first team would probably beat another clubs reserves

However, in this day and age, with squads of 25, the top clubs have pretty much two first teams that are fairly interchangeable in terms of ability - Son vs Dele, Moura vs Ericsson, Wanyama vs Dier etc etc

Anyway, it wasn't our first team. There was probably only five West Ham players maximum in the starting line-up who would be in Pelligrini's 'favoured' X1 if everyone was available
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Ironing Board wrote: You are giving Spurs way too much credit. WHU first team should always beat Spurs reserves.
I think the point being made is that was not our first team... far from it in fact...

Fabianski, Zabaleta, Balbuena, Cresswell, Noble, Wilshere, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Arnautovic and even Carroll would all be in with a shout to start in our strongest eleven if they were fully fit.

That was very much our second string with a few first choice players added (Diop, Rice nailed on, maybe Obiang, Masuaku and Anderson).

Spurs won the game without even getting out of 2nd gear truth be told. As they did the league game too.
Had we been able to put a stronger team out with a little more quality in attack, I am sure we could have got something out of both games.

Anderson, Antonio and Hernandez offered very little in terms of quality and composure. The difference as soon as Arnautovic came on was abundantly clear.